All that he had said of himself as the door, the good shepherd, the living water, the Son of God, the Son of man, the light of the world, the bread of life, the way, the truth, and the life coupled with his mighty signs - all of this had still left Philip unable to make the great step of faith in Jesus as God; and there seems to be in the Saviour's words here an element of wonder that Philip had somehow failed to take it in. I was baptized 2 years ago and I am Westcott agreed that no denial of Jesus' Godhead is in this verse. "The idea that Jesus comes back to his own is nowhere to be found, apart from the Paraclete references. Thank you so much. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. When Jesus raised him from the dead, they reported all they had seen to the Pharisees. Jesus Turns Water into Wine (John 2: 2-11) - Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine at the wedding in Cana. Yet wherever there is healing, reconciling, life-giving work happening, this is the work of God. - This Bible study lesson explains the forms and purposes of baptism used by Jesus, and of John the Baptist. Jesus Forgives an Adulterous Woman (John 8:1-30  - The scribes and Pharisees brought an adulterous woman to Jesus, but not to justify the law. The prince of the world ... is another reference to Satan as in John 12:31. ; but, if man can bear to hear it, he would be just as accurately listed as "homo ignoramus"! Jesus is Brought Before Pilate (John 18:28-40) - Jesus' trial  took place at the Praetorian, which was the Governor's Palace, and is more detailed than the other Gospels. Through Jesus, we receive the "Gift of Eternal Life. Copyright StatementJames Burton Coffman Commentaries reproduced by permission of Abilene Christian University Press, Abilene, Texas, USA. “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied” (14:8). of this is that: after removing the five passages from John's Gospel, the idea that Jesus will come to his own in spirit form is nowhere to be found. "Jama: Somalia: © Copyright 2006-2020 Trusting-in-Jesus.com. Ye heard how I said unto you, I go away, and I come unto you. If ye had known me, ye would have known my Father also: from henceforth ye know him and have seen him. The righteousness God imputes to men is a genuine righteousness, a total and absolute perfection, achieved by Jesus Christ and made available to men "in him." This time it is Philip who is not quite convinced. The divine plan of establishing a worldwide spiritual kingdom could only have been hindered by the continued physical presence of Jesus on earth. How might we show others the very heart of God? Submit your prayer requests and have other Spirit Filled Christians pray for you, Read the Rapture Dreams of others, or submit your own. h�bbd``b`��@�� H�� �? When Jesus says that they know the way to the place where he is going (14:4), Thomas, like most characters in the Gospel, takes Jesus quite literally. He is reigning until all of his enemies have been put under foot (1 Corinthians 15:25f). [17] Edgar J. Goodspeed, The Twelve (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1939), p. 30. [18] David Lipscomb, A Commentary on the Gospel of John (Nashville: Gospel Advocate Company, 1960), p. 232. cit., II, p. 279. Islam, I've got the truth of Jesus. Jesus Cleanses the Temple (John 2:12-25) - The Messiah of Israel had arrived; Today His love and reverence for the Father would become a demonstration of righteous indignation. Here Jesus echoes an affirmation from the prologue of John’s Gospel: “No one has ever seen God. I'm learning along with them. Jesus' revelation to men, as far as verbal teaching goes, had here been completed. That really hit home with me, if we would just do what He tells us this world would be a better place. Absolutely none whatever, as a glance at Windisch's so-called reasons will prove. Faith without love or even with the love of the wrong things, can never justify or save. As a Christian young person, I remember hearing that the New Testament letters begin with theology and move to practice (e.g., Romans 1-11, then 12-16). One might remove any of the beatitudes without leaving a gap, or take a whole paragraph out of the Declaration of Independence without leaving a gap. Jesus is "the way, and the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). Some may misunderstand this to be the case, but I John 5:14 qualifies what He will grant: "Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. Prayer in Jesus’ name is the way to do greater works than He did (John 14:13-14). Elizabeth: United States, "Thank you so much for a remarkably powerful Bible Study. Where might we see Jesus’ work and presence in our midst? Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Strike off their political chains, their economic chains, their psychological inhibitions, etc., and presto! Abideth with you ... refers to the unlimited identification of Jesus Christ with the Holy Spirit, as evidenced by the descending dove at his baptism. If ye shall ask anything These words are much, the same with the former, and have been thought, by some, to have crept into the text from the margin; though they seem rather to be repeated by Christ, the more to strengthen and confirm the faith of his disciples in this matter; that whatsoever they asked. Perhaps our problem is that in hearing these promises, we expect to do these greater works in the same way that Jesus did them — with miraculous power that instantly solves the problem at hand. Chief Priests Plot to Kill Lazarus (John 12:9-11) - When the Chief Priests learned that Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead, they began to devise a plot to kill Lazarus. As he stated it: [21] William Hendriksen, op. Some believe that Jesus and his disciples immediately rose up and left the scene of the last supper; but Hendriksen believed it likely that the next three chapters, which might easily have been spoken in ten or fifteen minutes, were uttered while they were standing and prior to leaving. My life has been transformed. God answers prayer. Here are the particular prejudices presented by him as "evidence.". John 14:14, ESV: "If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it." Desolate ... actually means "orphans"; and from this premise, "I come unto you" is not speaking of the second advent but of an interim coming of the Lord in the person of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost and afterward. (1 Corinthians 15:57). See John 5:36 and John 10:37,38. The Woman at the Well-Part 2 (John 4: 27-42 - Continued from the Woman at the Well Part 1. Sloyan warns, “To preach on John 14-17 is easier said than done. In Christ only do men face up to the fact of death and go down to the grave shouting, "Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." Because I go to My Father: Jesus would soon explain that when He ascended to heaven, He would send the Holy Spirit (John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26, 15:7-9, 15:13). If we want to know who God is, we need look no further than Jesus. Yet even miracles are not guaranteed to produce faith. The Way the Truth and the Life (John 14:1-14) - Early Christianity, used the word "Truth" when referencing God. Apart from him there is no solution of the problem of sin. The price of human redemption would be paid by the Saviour. %PDF-1.5 %���� "All spiritual blessings are in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3). DISCOURSE AT THE TABLE, AFTER SUPPER. 2. This truth needs emphasis today. In Him is life, and that life is the light of the world. I'm using your site to help me teach Youth Church. "Date:Between A.D. 85-90After the destruction of Jerusalem (70 A.D.)Before John was exiled to the Island of PatmosGeography:The Judean country side: Samaria, Galilee, Bethany, Jerusalem. 1. Jesus promises to be with us through the power of the Spirit, to work in and through us to accomplish his purposes in the world. Jesus is the truth. In this light, it cannot be logically said that the reception of the Holy Spirit as an indwelling force in Christians (especially the apostles) is "an entirely new idea." [1] H. R. Reynolds, The Pulpit Commentary (Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1962), II, p. 220. God the Son prays to God the Father that He might send God the Holy Spirit to us. A. He is an infant crying in the night with no language but a cry, until he shall turn to him who is the truth. All the dead shall be raised to life (John 5:24-29). Thus, the "greater works" the apostles were to do were still truly the works of Jesus our Lord. ", Jesus Confronts the Unbelief of the People(John 12:37-50) Jesus had performed many miracles before these people, presented infallible witnesses, yet they refused to believe in Him, Jesus Washes the Disciple's Feet (John 13:1-16) - The night before Jesus' crucifixion He washed His disciples feet and continued to teach.Jesus Said, One of You will Betray Me(John 13:16-38). Philip ... For discussion of this apostle, see under John 1:43. International Bible Lesson Commentary John 14:1-14 (John 14:1) “Do not let your hearts be troubled. E. He is providentially overseeing the fortunes of his church on earth (Matthew 28:19,20). Peter is Forgiven and Restored (John (21:15-25) - Three times Peter had denied knowing Jesus -  Three times Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me? Thanks for providing us such study like this. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; how know we the way? In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you: for I go to prepare a place for you. Mary Magdalene finds the empty tomb. Greater works than these? This is a second "because," like that in John 14:12, and shows the necessity of Jesus' return to the Father. Jesus was both the Word, and God. Please note that all fields followed by an asterisk must be filled in. I'm using your site to help me teach Youth Church. Death is an ugly problem for man, but how does he face up to it? Our Evangelist, like a consecrated priest, alone opens up to us the view into this sanctuary. cit., II, pp. He wants directions, a road map to this place (14:5). The thought here is like that of John 14:15 (which see); also, the oneness of Christ with the Father is the constantly recurring theme of the Gospel, and is apparent here in Christ's loving whom the Father loves, and in the Father's loving them that love Christ. The insertion of "me" in this verse, as in many manuscripts, suggests that prayers might be offered directly to Jesus, as well as addressed to the Father in Jesus' name. Thank you so much for being a faithful servant.Jonetta: United States, I have been reading & Studying On my own. Moreover, he did not have the advantage possessed by those who view the events of Jesus' ministry in the light of subsequent history. The Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus (John 18:1-14) - Jesus could have stopped the process at any moment because He was not so much the victim as the orchestrator of events. Hendriksen ably defended this interpretation thus, "The immediately preceding context refers to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and so does the following context."[16]. Jesus' constant purpose that night was to strengthen the disciples against the ordeal through which they would pass. other disciples what they had seen, and all, except for Thomas, had met that Yet a little while, and the world beholdeth me no more; but ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also. Buttrick devoted most of an entire book to the mountain truth of this text, presenting Jesus Christ as the sole answer to the human problems of sin, ignorance, and mortality. We shall now give attention to the blessed words of the promise itself. When he saw Jesus, he said, "Behold, the Lamb of God..." (John 1:29). Unlike his own brief ministry, that of the Holy Spirit would be coextensive with the whole Christian dispensation. In trying to find out how to live, men try to evaluate and compare various concepts and systems, and by deduction hope to find what is best; but the universal experience of humanity has demonstrated that whatever of the good, the pure and the beautiful that men have discovered - all of it derived from him who is the way.