I wouldn't skip a stockpot in lieu of the dutch oven altogether simply because sometimes you need to boil that pasta that goes with the stew or sauce and meatballs that's been in the dutch oven all afternoon, and it'd be a really huge pain to dump it in some other vessel, try to keep it warm, clean it so you can start water..etc.. Used for making stock, large batches of chili/soup, boiling potatoes, as a large bowl. Prepare meals with greater efficiency because the see-through lids let you check on food without ... MICHELANGELO 3 Quart Saucepan with Lid, Ultra Nonstick Coppper Sauce Pan with Lid, Small Pot with Lid, Ceramic Nonstick Saucepan 3 quart, Small Sauce Pot, Copper Pot 3 Qt, Ceramic Sauce Pan 3 Quart. pot for making pastas, stocks, etc. That said, if I were to outfit someone for cooking, I'd start with: Then, afterward, I'd go with the following in addition in order of importance: 12" Stainless Steel pan (tri-ply/clad varieties). "essential pan". "essential pan". Each has a different use. My stock pot came with a multi cooker thing (the straight-sided colander that sits inside of it) that I literally have used once. However, I guess it overlaps the usage of the skillet? Here's what I have and what I use the most: Frying Pans: 12" non-stick, 8" non-stick, 12" steel, 10" steel, 8" enameled cast iron. I don't know. I bought it when I was single and in college, if I could do it over, I'd probably get a bigger essential pan, the volume lacks sometimes. Saucepans also come in various sizes, with the usual design you see in most stores being the 3 quarts saucepans. Specifically though, sauce pans are perfect for preparations that requires a lot of liquid, like blanching vegetables, cooking quinoa or poaching eggs. Each has a different use. A dutch oven might just be the most versatile cooking vessel you ever purchase. A slow cooker can can take your comfort food to the next level. They can even be used to bake bread inside of in a pinch. The anodized aluminum pot has a small spout for pouring out liquids while the tempered glass lid ... jalz jalz Stainless Steel Saucepan With Glass Lid,Classic Cookware, Sauce Pan,1.5 Quart for Boiling Milk, Sauce, Gravies, Pasta,Noodles, Cuisinart 619-14 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 1-Quart Saucepan with Cover, AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Two Side Spouts for Easy Pour with Ergonomic Handle, Multipurpose Sauce Pan with Lid, Sauce Pot (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom, 2.5 Quart), GreenPan SearSmart Hard Anodized Ceramic Nonstick Black Saucepan with Lid, 2QT, Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 3-Quart Saucepan with Lid,Black, Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 2-Quart Saucepan with Lid,Black, AmazonCommercial 6 Qt. I use small sauciers for side dishes (unless feeding a bunch of people) and a 4 qt. Post anything related to cooking here, within reason. Once you’ve graduated from your largest saucepan, the next step up is the stockpot. Knowing the exact size of your saucepan can eliminate mistakes and messes in the kitchen when you are cooking. 7 qt enameled le creuset dutch oven. saucepan for any larger quantity of food that wouldn't otherwise fit in the 1 qt pan (2-3 cups of rice/quinoa/lentils/etc) or for boiling smaller quantities of noodles (1 regular package of spaghetti, 2 bricks of ramen, etc). I also don't have any woks anymore. Stock Pot - from 5 qt all the way on up... so what is ideal here? What would you utilize 8" for? Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Maybe up to 2qt? Steel is marginally easier to clean and take care of and I can get just as good of a sear. I don't really use my 10" steel or 8" enameled cast iron very much.