In ground meat (typically half pork and half beef) you mix in Panko bread crumbs and eggs, so it is light and soft enough to eat with chopsticks. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear in the instruction. Hi Maria, yes, basically step 2 needs to be added to the bowl with onion. Japanese Hamburger Steak or Hamburg Steak (ハンバーグステーキ) is a popular Western-style dish in Japan. Flip the patties periodically to evenly brown both sides, and the internal temperature reads 140F (60C) on an instant-read thermometer. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Noriko and Yuko, the authors of this site, are both from Japan but now live in California. She cooks amazing Japanese recipes. You should only have a little browning at this point, but if they’re already looking golden brown, turn down the heat a bit. This Japanese Hamburger Steak is a sweet, savory, and simple one-pan meal. You may have heard of Hamburger steak which a southern classic made with a pan-fried hamburger with yummy mushroom gravy. Your videos are easy to follow and gives me the confidence that I can cook it too! Simmer the sauce and the mushrooms on low heat for 5 minutes. The first thing you want to do is cook the minced onions. Ingredient A - the patty 100 g onion, , finely chopped 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 teaspoon garlic, ,minced 450 g ground beef 45 g breadcrumb 1 egg 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup 1 tablespoon oyster … My hamburger steak came out looking ok and I was surprised when I cut it with a fork, the inside is moist, so delicious…I really love your website and have shared the link with some friends. Yes, hamburger steak did not originate in Japan, however, it is one of the popular Yoshoku menu items and the Japanese have made their own tweaks to elevate the dish to be more delicious than the original. Or raw? Add the sauce to the hamburger patties and enjoy! ★☆ You also want to force out any air and seal up any cracks, or your patties will split open when you cook them. It’s paleo and can be made whole30 and AIP-friendly. It’s a meat patty generally made of beef, onions, breadcrumbs, and seasonings that’s pan-fried and served with a sweet and savory sauce. Japanese Hamburger Steak with Teriyaki Sauce Hamburg Steak, also known as Hambāgu, is the Japanese version of Hamburger Steak. Thanks! After solidifying, cover pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, After finishing the hamburger, remove the patties, but keep the remaining oil as a base for the sauce, Add the mushrooms and fry them on medium heat in the left over oil. Delicious Healthy Food on Instagram: “Roasted Garlic Parmesan Potatoes Will you guys try these? by @eatwell101 . As for the ketchup here are some compliant options…. I love anything cooked with red wine. Welcome to My Japanese Recipes. This totally peaks my interest! You can do this by throwing the patty from one hand and smacking it against the other. Have fun exploring my 700+ authentic and easy Indonesian and Chinese recipes. Ingredients : * 3 pounds (1.5 kg) baby red potatoes, washed…”, ▶ Whole Wheat Pasta With Lemon Kale Chicken …. Required fields are marked *, I am a Chinese Indonesian currently living in Minnesota with my husband. Uncover the pan, increase the heat again to medium high to evaporate the red wine. Microwaving the onions not only softens them up, but it also makes them sweeter without having to saute them. Flip the hamburger and fry again for about 2 minutes, Flip the hamburgers every 2 minutes until their form solidifies. Turn off the heat, and pour the sauce over the steaks. Return the Hamburg patties to the pan and roll them around in the sauce until they are coated in a thick, shiny layer of sauce, and the glaze has started to caramelize. Hi! Muriah, Works well ❤️ But for the sauce i’ve done a bit modification to suit my taste. Japanese hamburger steak is called hamburg ( ハンバーグ ) in Japanese. The meat will expand during cooking and remove the indentation. what are we supposed to do with it; mix it with the hambaagu mixing bowl? As for vegetables, I recommend something simple and colorful, like broccoli and carrots that have been boiled in well-salted water. Turn down the heat to medium-low and brown the second side. Prepare a parchment paper-lined tray, and shape the hamburger mixture into patties. Coconut aminos is a soy sauce alternative and be found online or in health stores. (**) Can be substituted with Worcestershire sauce. Come back for more recipes. Joseph, Welcome to My Japanese Recipes. This version is paleo and easy to make whole30 compliant and AIP-friendly. Cheers! Indeed, every time we open a bottle of wine, it's almost a guarantee that we won't be able to finish it. Japanese hamburger steak is a very similar dish but made with a sweet and tangy sauce made from ketchup, soy sauce, and sake (or rice vinegar). Push down to flat steaks and make an indentation in the middle. i dont have any on hand. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, place the patties on the pan. In a separate bowl, add the ground beef, cream cheese, panko, egg, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and then add in the cooled onions. When the patties are cooked about a quarter of the way through, flip them over. It’s raw cabbage, but it is very good when sliced finely. Your email address will not be published. Japanese Hamburger Steak with Teriyaki Sauce Hamburg Steak, also known as Hambāgu, is the Japanese version of Hamburger Steak. I am making it now as I type! The panko bread crumbs made them so tender and the sauce was fantastic! can i not use the worcester sauce and sake? I’m sorry that our Hamburger Steak didn’t meet your expectations. Boil the sauce until it starts to thicken. Your comment is awaiting moderation. Coconut aminos, ketchup, and rice wine vinegar. I want to ask though, if i want to save some, do i put them in the fridge after or before frying? When I first heard about hambaagu, I thought people were referring to hamburger, you know, the buns, patty, cheese, tomato, lettuce, etc, but no… in Japan, what we know as hamburger is called hambaaga (ハンバーガ), rather confusing no? Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook. Add the minced onion and the hamburger into a large bowl, Add 1.5 tsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp of panko, salt, pepper and an egg to the bowl, After mixing, divide the hamburger into 4 even batches to make 4 patties, Form the patties into an oval shape, slap against your hands to remove the air, and gentle press the center in the top to evenly cook the meat, Melt the butter on a fry pan and add the hamburger patties. Will definitely make this again! it’s ok not use them, but your sauce is going to be mere ketchup. No. Japanese Cooking 101 © 2018 Oishii America. All information on this website and in Unbound Wellness LLC products, meal plans and ebooks are general information. We decided to start this website together so others in the USA and other parts of the world can enjoy cooking Japanese cuisine.