2. If you can’t find Japanese breadcrumbs at Asian grocery shops, you can make them by placing stale white bread in the blender and coarsely grinding it. If your sesame seeds are un-toasted, combine white/black sesames in a skillet and set over medium heat. Love the extra bold version of Japanese curry and great shots! Deep fried crunchy goodness right there. The juices released during baking may cause small, soggy spots on the crusts, but the overall crispiness of pre-baked panko (at least in my case) is generally intact. Fry the patties for 1-2 minutes until the breadcrumbs become golden brown. But just when I thought we’ve left this ill-willed restaurant behind in Hong Kong, a brand new clinical side-effect has surfaced in the last couple weeks, and I’m not sure what to make of it yet…. Curry, off the top of my head, originated from India, or maybe Thailand or something; I can’t be bothered to. The place is generally adequate with one-eye-closed, but however, committed 2 highly lethal mistakes that killed Jason’s highest endorsement. It’s just like a McDonald’s hash brown. Korokke was one of the regular dinner menus in my household when I was a child. In fact, some local curry favorites like chicken katsu curry (curry with fried chicken cutlet) and beef curry (curry with stew-style beef chunks) are served exactly as you might find them in Japan. Thank You! This little project is a phoenix rising out of the tormenting flames of living there with all its misery. That’s why the word is written in katakana, which is a set of phonetic characters to express sounds and foreign words, instead of kanji characters. Add pork, salt & pepper and cook, breaking it up as you go until browned and cooked through. Brown the onions in a 3 quart pot. Your email address will not be published. japanese curry is totally underrated. You should know that I excel at giving unsolicited opinions. I dream of having a…. I made it once before and it was a winner!! In a bowl, mix the meat, garlic and green onion. But if you don’t have it, a mixture of Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce (ketchup) can be a good substitute. In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat and place the patties gently on the pan. So glad I stumbled across your site. I’m glad you and your family like it. Then, they deep fried it with panko breadcrumbs in front of you. If you compare the sound of croquette and korokke, you can hear the similarity, can’t you? 4. Brown and drain the ground beef. If too dry, it tends to crack the edges of the patty and you need to add a bit more milk (not in ingredients) to make it moist. Add the beef and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Then add the panko bread crumbs last. At this point, try to forma a patty to check the consistency of the potato mixture. Let cool completely, then crush 2 handfuls of baked panko with your hands (smaller crumbs adhere better to the patties). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Shake the pot over high heat for 15-20 seconds to evaporate excess moisture. If you find a little butcher which sells korokke, they are usually great. 6. It’s a great idea to make vegetable korokke like you did. Korokke (コロッケ, potato and ground meat croquette) is somewhat different from any other croquette. Mix the ground beef evenly with very finely diced onion, worcestershire sauce, sea salt and black pepper (do this right before cooking or the meat and onion will emit water). Great work Mandy and even I can try this at home without a fire starting in my kitchen. Coat each patty with flour, egg, then breadcrumbs. Lower heat and simmer for another 20 minutes. So come share how I turned a lot of frustration and anger in a lovely meal. If you don’t know what that means, stir your ground beef around a pan over medium heat until it turns brown, and then pour out the fat. I think that thick fruity tonkatsu sauce goes well with korokke. Fry either frozen or slightly thawed in microwave. Even now, I believe korokke is a popular dinner dish. Until moving to Beijing where, out of sheer desperation and agony, I started Lady and Pups – an angry food blog in 2012, my misery outlet where it marked the beginning of my pre-midlife crisis. The futile attempt to lighten up the dish by baking the hamburger croquette with pre-baked panko was immediately discarded by the man whose eyes no longer reflected sensibility (but perhaps you still can). I know exactly what he wants, and exactly how he wants it. Golden Curry is our fav in our household too! I love movies. I’d love to try and hunt it down next time I am there! 1. The name korokke came from the French dish croquette, by converting the sound into something similar and easier for Japanese people to pronounce. Whenever I returned to Tokyo to see my parents, I never missed buying a korokke from the butcher my parents used to buy meat from. Mix well (note 6). 4. Because based on my own study – lasting 6-plus years since the first, then constant episodes – the impact on the delicate harmony of nuptials isn’t exactly dire, but nonetheless, worth further investigation. The sound of ‘curry-flavoured Korokke’ makes my mouth water! :). Katsu Curry (Japanese Curry with Chicken Cutlet). Your email address will not be published. It is very hot so use a cloth or layers of kitchen paper to hold the potatoes. Pre-heat oven at 400. I don’t know why but it tastes better in my view, perhaps because a korokke is freshly made. Nothing is so satisfying than taking a big bite into a freshly fried hot korokke. The baked croquette using pre-baked panko (inspired by this month’s issue of Martha Stewart Living), although texturally not as crispy as fried, is still a good alternative if you’re looking for a fuss-free meal. They made korokke from scratch with secret seasoning. I couldn’t deny him of such courageous request could I? Serious dangerous sauce you have there… No wonder it has become a nation icon. Scrape off as much browned bits as you can and continue to cook for a few minutes until the mixture has also turned darker in color (like lightly caramelized onions). Add curry mix (I like to cut the big block into smaller pieces so it mixes faster) and stir until evenly mixed. It’s pretty close to what you get in Japan, I hope. If you’re using a sweeter variety of curry cubes (you’ll see this character: 甜), I would suggest using unsweetened coco powder (instead of bittersweet chocolate) to avoid over-sweetening. When Jason, the half truth-er, says a “Japanese lunch”, he means this. Their korokke is good. Not had it for ages so this will be a real treat too, thanks. She rolled her eyes. Although traditional korokke was made of potato, onion and ground meat; nowadays korokke comes with vegetables and seafood instead of meat; and also béchamel sauce instead of potato. Turn the heat off, break S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix into pieces and add them to the skillet.