He went to the nearest pharmacy and came home with camphorated oil. Who would have thought, mustard. I did about five applications of five minutes each and had a nap holding frozen peas…by the time I woke up I was all good. I was making pepper sauce using scotch bonnets without gloves. My wife just chopped up 3 banana peppers for soup… noticed not much of anything ’til taking a shower…then the burning set in, as described in all previous posts. That’s pretty messed up that you got hit. Drinking water may also spread the burning sensation to other unaffected areas, so know what to drink. I’m pretty sure these jalapenos were from Satan himself. This salsa better be darn worth it! Yes it was unbearable. I feel your pain! Then after some minutes it was gone. I also happen to be covered in mosquito bites and I made the dumb choice to itch them, causing my entire arms and legs to start burning terribly as well! I finally had to sleep off the burn. I soaked them for about 45 minutes until it dried. I had no idea what I was in for. Thank you for sharing!!! I felt like my fingers were NEVER going to stop being on fire! Later, I read that there’s actually a better way of using rubbing alcohol to stop the burn. I may never touch another,more less half a case full,yep I did,gloves never even crossed my mind.thank you so much. Poor David was trying to get out of his skin! The website, “The Chile Man,” explains that "Hunan Hand" is sometimes called "Chile Willy." (My theory: It removes the oils from poison ivy, so maybe it would remove the jalapeno oils?) Told him I was using the last of the ice and couldn’t drive myself to to ER. Finally, corn starch allegedly draws the spicy oils out of the skin, helping to neutralize the burn. Thank you so much. Thank you so much for posting this! then alcohol. . yep mustard it up! My family members all thought I was retarded holding beer cans or anything cold I can find to relieve the pain of my burning hands. She was grossed out but willing to try anything. In fact, capsaicin is the active ingredient in many animal repellents and pepper sprays. I chopped a peck of them last year and not until I was finished did the burn set in. (We had tried the dish soap before with no luck and no relief). I cannot thank you enough for this suggestion. My pain went from a 10 to a 1 finally able to go to sleep. Thank you, would have not thought of mustard. Wish I’d known about the mustard deal sooner. God bless you & God bless mustard ?? Absolutely works. I rubbed it with a freshly cut onion. After trying oil, milk, yogurt, dish soap, and alcohol, seemed like the burning was going to last forever. All chili peppers are spicy, but not all of them are dangerously hot. Seems like a lot of people could have used this info before now! I hurt horribly! I first used olive oil and it only relieved the pain teeny-tiny bit. Get your hands on a habanero if you REALLY want hot!) Thank you so much! of vinegar, mustard is a good option, but it’s the miracle of vinegar that saved your poor little fingers. Waiting on a jar of mustard now, thanks to you all for sharing, I was getting my worry on but good! It can cause something known as Hunan Hand, which is a form of contact dermatitis seen among people who regularly touch jalapenos. You can find immediate pain relief by applying olive oil on your hands. I was crying with the pain which I can only say was like having my hand in a pan of boiling water. I just read your post and decided to try the mustard, and it helped a lot! I cut and seeded cayenne peppers on Monday and my hands were finally not burning the next morning but something about hot tubs makes them start to feel on fire again. Incredible. Very little relief. That was real magic. Wonder if mustard would have helped? God help me. You need to neutralize it before you can get rid of the burning sensation. Thank you! Just good, solid, old school humor. The burning in my hands went from 0-100 that night while I was sleeping and I’ve been in pain all day for new years. It works great, but you have to continue rinsing your mouth until the pain subsides. So I used an ice pack on my eye and that did help a lot! We were about to try mustard on my husbands hands when he decided to spit on his hands (since it burns for less in the mouth than on skin. Hand saver! so crazy! Thanks for the mustard tip. However, I’ll be honest – I was in a lot of pain of my own when I had my jalapeno burn! Because of the ECQ, I cannot go the mall which is kilometers away from me Knew jalapeno peppers would be harmful, but never, ever, (ever!) Thank you so much.. This is a miracle. Just as you did, I went through every soap, lotion, medicine cabinet, and most of the products in my fridge before finding your post. I will update in a couple of hours and let you know how I get on! My hands got inflammed and I ended up having to go to the ER. I am sitting here with my hand in a bowl of yellow mustard! It will eliminate that stinging sensation you notice soon after cutting jalapenos. I’m glad the mustard gave some relief. Colloquially dubbed “jalapeno hands,” hot pepper exposure can cause a painful burning sensation. Yippee for mustard!!!!! Now, I’m a tough cookie. Applying cold compresses to the affected area may bring relief, which alleviates pain by numbing the area. Three times I rubbed it into my hand, and after about 30 more minutes I washed it all off, and the pain was completely gone! :->. Be sure to leave the oil on for a couple of hours for good results. I once was making a chile sauce using dried pasilla chiles. Its a horrible situation to be in and I just want to pass this on to help someone else. Baking Soda Good for all kinds of skin burns, mix baking soda with either water or milk to make a thick paste. It was like a miracle. I had this happen before and naxzema i know its spelled wrong but it works inztanly n stays gone. Tonight, I totally thought the flesh was going to melt off of my hand. It was like it didn’t even happen! Actually, Jerry was searching the computer calling out remedies as I found all of the ingredients and tried them. I also have a high tolerance for pain but this was unbearable. I soaked cotton balls with rubbing alcohol and rubbed my hand with them. Not much help. Jalapeno burns in the eyes are even more painful and difficult to treat, especially if you wear contact lenses. I made stuffed jalepenos last night and oh my god the burning was terrible! Lavender has soothing properties, so I tried this solution by I tried rubbing lavender oil on it. Thank you so much for this tip- my daughter and I made salsa today and she cut up the jalapeños. It was instant relief. Dang, Malik! I can’t even imagine how much pain you were in after doing so many peppers. Boy, I made the mistake to rub my hand over my eye and a moment later my eye was on fire, so were my fingers! I was cutting up jalapeños but that’s not how I got the burn. Think tomatoes, lemons, pineapple, avocado, or lime. I blew on them as the saliva dried and the pain was gone. Burning gone and it stayed gone! Within 5 minutes she had relief . I had no idea I needed gloves while chopping jalapeños! ok, tried some more and then washed my hands in the sink… the same sink the wife had used to wash her hands (repeatedly) while she was using the gloves to help me strip the peppers for storing in Jars.. This was me last night. I deseeded half a kilo of chillies without gloves last night. I was like, seriously?! You may want to eat the milk chocolate for better results. This was the first remedy I found today and it’s wonderful. Finally I saw your post about mustard and she is feeling some relief now. I tried everything before finding this site. Or ruined my eyesight! He ended up just giving me a pain pill for it, I’m not big on pharmaceuticals, but I was willing for this! Tried everything from washing them with different soaps, milk, sour cream, etc. Blissfully unaware of the danger lurking on the cutting board in front of me, I chopped away at the three deceiving peppers. The pain significantly subsided, I did one more ice cold milk soak and I could finally sleep. After I cut them up I wiped of the jalapeño seeds of the cutting board. Milk is a great jalapeno burn remedy. Cold Milk. Mustard is the only thing that worked. I had no idea it would help like it did! Then before bed, I had a shower. It wasn’t long, however, before my hand was completely on fire. Except I had worn gloves while cutting the jalapenos, then took them off to finish my salsa. The exposure to jalapeno doesn't cause a chemical burn, but the pepper juice can cause a very painful burn on your skin if you don't take precautions to prevent it. Megan, that’s interesting. THANK YOU! I will say he did wash his spit of with dish soap afterwards. I tried water and it just made it worse! I did this about two months ago too! I got burn from green chillies this morning..my hands didn’t burn at first..but I accidentally rubbed my left eyelid with my hand….and OH MY GODDDDD…My eye burnedd..i then put some water on my eyes my hads..i am such an idiot..then both my eyes started burning… It hurt like hell…then i got my senses back and washed my hands thoroughly..then again splashed water on my eyes..then i put some ice and the burning veryyy gradually faded and finally finished..but then my fingers started burning..i have used mustard after reading this post..but the burning only fades when i wash the mustard off..it keeps coming back..so now i am using ice on my fingers…my fingers are just BURNING…hell. She pretty much tried everything as well. Around 12:30am I reached across my nightstand and poured some dottera fractionated coconut oil and rubbed it into my hands. The same thing just happened to me. for 3 hrs i can’t get my hands out of cold milk. It worked! Thank you thank you. He brought me some rubber gloves to put on while I nursed her, but having my hands in those hot gloves only intensified the burning. That was a miracle. We tried all the other remedies with no luck. Literally cut a jalapeño tonight and felt like the flames of hell were burning my finger off. The good thing is that you can find an effective jalapeno burn remedy to eliminate pain quickly. No good. Thank you so much for your post.. I literally tried everything on the damn internet and was about to give up and go to the hospital when I saw this and thank God it worked. 6. Mustard worked!!!!! And my fingers are almost ready to burst into flames. my fingers in vinegar (it’s not the vinegar in the mustard that does it), lemons, dish liquid, salt, tomatoes, milk, etc. Pretty dope. As a matter of fact my hands are burning right now. Pee! As I read your post I remembered that I had sliced some hot peppers the previous evening. That mustard thing – holy spot on! I soaked in milk but like you said it was a very temporary relief. So very thankful. None of which worked. Thank you . After 24 hours of misery, my hands are free from the burn!! It's mainly because the capsaicin is more soluble in fat which is plentiful in chocolate. I cut a whole box to can, about 15! Instant relief! But it didn’t help my fingers. Mustard did the trick after just 30 minutes of keeping it on my hands. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! In my case it was not a jalapeno, just some local (Indonesian) large red cayenne pepper, that I sliced for pork in soy sauce. Hmmm, wonder which it is?? It’s harder on the knife but it saves my fingers.