Names Moore, Thompson, and Turner, with I-M253, and Johnston(e). It's eye-wateringly expensive at $2,999, but Naim's Uniti Atom is a revelation, an integrated amplifier than makes it easy to stream music at a quality you've probably never heard before. Erik Thomson, from 800 Words, appears in The DNA Detectives. The modern English pronunciation of Thomson doesn't seem to fit well with the rules of spelling and pronunciation. Hello Janet how are you ?, well that makes you part Thompson , is there a particular question you have ? The Shetland and Orkney islands have the highest proportion of Viking descendants in the UK. Join over 170,000 others who are connecting with their cousins and common researchers! Model refinements (error modification)-border migration influencing the Argyll community. Dunbar and Cockburn R-U106 & S5750 Y-DNA SNP, Elliot, Glendinning, & Little; R-L193 sub of L513, Ellot-Gordon fought in Battle of Dunbar 1650, FTDNA Greenspan Blankfeld Behar Hammer Estes Walsh, Genealogie Geographischer Name DNA Elliot, George Lawerence 1638 & Elizabeth Crispe 1636, Gorrenberry Elliot, Elwood, Ellwood, and Edwards arms, Graham Grantham “Ancient Roman” J-M267 DNA, Hambleton Buckinghamshire, Hamilton Cadzow, Hammelton Ulster, DNA, Hermitage Chronicles; Armstrong (Fairbairn) Elwald, John Elwald 1418 Rector of St Andrews; Conn, McConnell, McCall DNA Kirkinner Carnesmole, John Johns Johnsen Johnson Johnsson Johnston Johnstone, autosomal DNA, yDNA, family tree genetic genealogy, Kettlewell-Howden Linclonshire to Lothian, MacManus Belfast Co Down & Antrim to McManus Co Fermanagh, Ulster, Ireland, MacNeill McNeil Argyll Cape Fear North Carolina. The surname Ness comes from the English word ness and the Norwegian word nes , both of which refer to a promontory or headland, and is an example of being called for the place one lives. People with names ending in 'son' could be related to the Scandinavian warriors. Vikings kept cats as indispensable pets on these farms, and the cats returned the favor by clearing out unwanted pests. So I put this interest to good use by examining a common misspelled family name. The spelling of his name is enough to hint at some Scandinavian ancestry but, with sisters called Helga and Ingrid as well, the actor was reasonably confident his stint on The DNA Detectives would confirm his suspicions. The 'th' and 'o' (in son) sounds are consistent with modern Nordic languages, although not really true of modern English. "I always had a pretty good idea of my family history. A lot of Johnston of Ulster dropped the “t” to the main adopted spelling of Johnson. if so please feel free to ask ! My greatgrandmother was a Thompson. Dominic Cummings tells Boris Johnson he will follow ally Lee Cain out the door by Christmas - but insiders say he jumped before he was pushed amid Downing Street power struggle with Carrie Symonds', Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, Discover deals on home essentials and electricals, Apply AO.com voucher codes to save on home appliances, Check out the latest B&Q clearance for great offers, Keep yourselves entertained with these electrical offers, Check out the latest Wayfair sale to save on furniture. "But when they told me I was going to Norway, I was still blown away," says Thomson, who was born in Scotland and raised in New Zealand. Thomson has a typical patronymic form where the adoption of the subject's father's first name is the surname (typical of Norse family names). For the past three years, he has played widowed journalist George Turner in the locally filmed drama 800 Words. thank you ! Thomson has a typical patronymic form where the adoption of the subject's father's first name is the surname (typical of Norse family names). I-M253 is more Viking than my I-U106, and Viking migration. Not so much for Armstrong and Elliott mainly including Neil Armstrong from Fermanagh, from one border to another, but shows up more with Johnston, Thompson, Moore, and Turner, guess they are the Vikings. Given the supposed first recorded spelling (1318) and the 'son' ending, a possible Anglo-Saxon origin (ie Old English) seems unlikely. Similar reasoning suggest that Danish origin is also unlikely. than in Scotland but the Thompson variant is more common than Thomson. Thomson is a Scottish patronymic surname meaning "son of Thom, Thomp, Thompkin, or other diminutive of Thomas", itself derived from the Aramaic תום or Tôm, meaning "twin".The Welsh surname is documented in Cheshire records before and after the 1066 Norman Conquest.Variations include Thomason, Thomasson, Thomerson, Thomoson, and others. Register or Sign in to comment on this journal. Some spellings drop the 'h' in Scandinavian variants. Son (literally a male child of the prefix name). Johnston(e), is a locality surname from Johnston(e) which I have not been able to find of old County Annandale of Scotland, now it is felt to be of Dumfries, County. Brigham; this is the place for applying DNA to genealogy. Moment woman is 'robbed' in the street, An inside look at Naples Covid ward with 'corpse' on bathroom floor, Dramatic moment police swoop and remove XR protest on the Cenotaph, Extinction Rebellion activists hijack Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, Chinese engineer builds colossal 2,618ft long bridge on steep cliff, Onlooker screams as man waves 'gun' outside window in Leicestershire, Guilty corgi stares at owner with shaky leg after wrongdoing, Bob Stewart tells harrowing story of Ballykelly bombing, London: Pub installs phone on bar so customers can order drinks, Officers appear to hold man after car 'rammed into police station', Man drenches road with flammable liquids after 'police station rammed', Police swoop on village and fire rubber bullets to take down man. Then the Vikings came and settled there.". The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. Rather than cram in a plethora of new features, Apple's latest update is about boosting stability, with improvements in everything from FaceID and battery life. The Welsh surname is documented in Cheshire records before and after the 1066 Norman Conquest. The 'th' sound in Thomson has a silent 'h' which is familiar to modern German, Norwegian (bokmÃ¥l), Swedish. Thompson is a Viking Name 100% , it go's back way ferther that Scottish Journal by douglasthompson Thompson is a Viking name , as well as Scottish , my DNA has took me back to 30,000 BC to the last Glacial Maximum (Ice age) . Unraveling Our Genetic History | Garrett Hellenthal | TEDxGoodenoughCollege explains some of this. About FamilyTreeCircles.com/Privacy Policy/Terms of Use. The DNA Detectives is, he admits, a very different experience and he is keen to see his episode. Muster Roll for Tullyhogue (Tullaghoge) 1610 Transcribed by Teena Nynorsk which despite the literal meaning (new Norwegian) is actually an older 'truer' form of the language, so this gives some indication to what the Old Norse language would have looked like. Clement’s Hob, ie Robert Elliott, Clement Crozier’s sister’s son. Thomson is a Scottish patronymic surname meaning "son of Thom, Thomp, Thompkin, or other diminutive of Thomas", itself derived from the Aramaic תום or Tôm, meaning "twin". Finding out he really is Erik The Viking didn't come as a huge surprise to 800 Words star Erik Thomson. Surname, via forename, by adding “s”&”son”, https://gorrenberry.com/argyll-colony-uploads/, https://gorrenberry.com/armstrong-elliot-crozier-nixon-johnson-graham-ulster-scot/, http://www.elwald.com/border-reivers-armstrong-elliott-nixon-crozier-middle-march-1587/. ago. Doug. Vikings were from Scandinavia (it was not an ethnicity, but something you did - “going viking” ie, going raiding abroad). She said: 'This naming pattern still remains in use in Iceland today but has been abandoned in Scandinavia in favour of family names, just like in the UK. My name is Janet Dominguez I live in North Carolina. "They didn't really like the fact I was getting shown around Shetland by an Englishman," he says, adding he had also visited the island with an Australian travel show. She was my Great Grandmother, I am lucky to have known her. Scottish names such as 'McIvor', 'MacAulay' and 'McLeod' are also more likely to have come from Vikings. There was basically a split where the Scots from the borders migrated to, and it is felt they were more comfortable being. The language of the Border Scots, is now Ulster Scots, of these Northern Counties of Ireland in which the Border Scots settled. Add this article to your list of favourites. |. Maine, Wells, Littlefield Cloyes genealogy. This name has likely Scandinavian roots. It looks like I should change my search or at least expend it. “Schafdieb aus dem Norden Englands”: Die Riding Clans in Ulster von Robert Bell, * Armstrong Fairbairn (Fairy Bear-Fair Beorn), * Armstrong Fairbairn (Fairy Bear-Fair Beorn), Alexander Gordon & Daniel Elliot, Ulster to Maine c.1650, Ander Anders Andersen Anderson Andersson, autosomal DNA, yDNA, family tree genetic genealogy, Anglo-Proto-Germanic, I-M223, I-M253, & R-U106 Elliott Y-DNA, Archie Elwald to Ellot to Elliot Gorrenberry. Through a spokesperson, Brydson declined an interview request. Not that there were too many shocks in store. Orkney and Shetland, where the Viking heritage is very strong, is home to many names which can be traced back to the period including 'Linklater', 'Flett', 'Scarth', 'Heddle' and 'Halcro'. The comments below have not been moderated. Israeli beauty-tech firm Pollogen has launched its Geneo Personal device, which stimulates oxygen from beneath the skin's surface to give you a clearer, fresher face within minutes. Saga av febjörn; Elioth, Ellioth, Elliot, Ewald, St. Andrews (Andreas), Protogermanische Sprachentwicklung. Pictured right is Sir Ian McKellen, Scottish actor Ewan McGregor (pictured) may have inherited his blue eyes and fair hair from Viking settlers, The Shetland and Orkney islands have the highest proportion of Viking descendants in the UK, 6. Although the progenitor name, Thomas, is older and there is a suggestion that the surname has a more general origin: possibly a crusader surname. AILSA – This name is pronounced the same way as Elsa, and is a tried and true Scots name, with Viking origins. 'So, for example the son of Ivar would be given their own first name and then in addition "Ivar's son". Pictured left is Emma Thompson. He now lives in South Australia with his wife Caitlin McDougall, who is also an actor, and their two children – Eilish, 10, and Magnus, eight. Early History of the Thompson family. Even as a child, Thomson says his Shetland relatives saw him as someone a little different. Also it was a nine-day trip and I flew up there and was completely jetlagged the whole time, so I'm going to look ****," he says, laughing.