I strongly believe that it is only with solid understanding of the laws of historical process that we can first understand and second change the status quo. This is an intergenerational and global problem. Musicians around the country are taking it upon themselves to reduce the risk of COVID-19 without silencing the music. Not all feminists agree that religion is essentially patriarchal, arguing that many early religions featured prominent goddesses and other female figures. When patriarchal structures converge with religious systems, female oppression and oppression of those who transgress gender binaries and boundaries became inevitable. And why it continues to this day. I used to argue loud and long with my husband, the scientist, about this. If you think that these peoples migrate to the West and, upon crossing the border, suddenly become more passive/docile/calm because we are “civilized,” you would be incorrect. Brains are *directed in growth* by programming. Home › General › Patriarchy as a System of Male Dominance Created at the Intersection of the Control of Women, Private Property, and War, Part 1 by Carol P. Christ, By Carol P. Christ on February 18, 2013 • ( 119 ). I’d also like to know what you think of the Jaynes theory. What you seem to be citing is an evolutionary psychology line. and how? Glimpsing La Vièio ié Danso – “The Untouchable Wild Goddess” – in Jóusè d’Arbaud’s Beast of Vacarés by Joyce Zonana, Yes, there are Goddesses in the Bible, Part 5 by Janet Maika’i Rudolph, Pachamama – August 1st – A day to Honour the Great Mother Goddess, Cat – Mysterious and Magical by Judith Shaw, From Military Wife to Peacebuilder – Learning from the Greenham Common Peace Women by Karen Leslie Hernandez, It’s Called Practice For a Reason by Kate M. Brunner, Unexpected Divine Encounters by Katey Zeh, Double, double… rhymes are trouble by Katie M. Deaver, Moral Accountability, Prophetic Responsibility, and Selma by Kelly Brown Douglas, The Egyptian Revolution: Women, Islam And Social Change By Karen Torjesen, Dancing for Forgiveness and Reconciliation – Part One By Laura Shannon, Reconstructions of the Past 8: Hafsa bint Sirin (My Story of Her Life 3) by Laury Silvers, A Deep Ecology of Horse Manure by Mary Sharratt, Octavia Tried to Tell Us: Parable for Today’s Pandemic by Monica Coleman, Ashes, Sacrifice, and Abundance by Melissa Browning, Navigating Meaning in Unchartered Ways by Natalie Weaver, “When You Know for Yourselves” by Oxana Poberejnaia, Working with Obstacles: Is Female Rebirth an Obstacle? Peggy Sandy says things are much like that in Indonesia. Who knows what people might have “chosen” if they had any choice in the matter. Really? Shlain wasn’t saying writing was the key factor. A friend once confided that he thought that men were essentially jealous of women’s power to give birth, and that they therefore compensated that fear of inadequacy by attempting to control her right to choose. ), DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (abuse of both wives/mothers and the children), DRUG ABUSE — it is ALL there. I’m not sure which way to argue this latter one yet, but the basic concept of changes to our brains as recently as 4,000 years ago suggests it is not absurd to think of neurological changes being part of the rise of the patriarchy. The matriarch structure in both bonobo and in the surviving pockets of humans is completely non-imperialistic ….. ie, they don’t migrate. I’ll have to think about it some more to come up with other citations. Patriarchy is often defined as a system of male dominance. Excellent! The Christian feminist needs to work with that more I think. One suggestion is widespread climate change or drought in sub-Saharan Africa. Patriarchy has always taught that men are superior to women. Understanding cultural and religious differences is an important step in making the world a better, more unified place. Read the latest anthropology literature — it will open your eyes. But as is seen in chimps and humans, harsher environments lead to greater competition, and thus a need for male-male alliances to out compete for survival. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Hi Wendy. To be continued next week. See Part 2 and Part 3. Tags: Carol P. Christ, control of female sexuality, feminism and reiigion, Heidi Goettner-Abendroth, Masuo, matriarchy, Merlin Stone, Michael Palin's Himalayas, patriarchal family, patriarchal inheritance, patriarchy, patriarchy and war, private property and patriarchy. ABSOLUTELY!! I really do believe that is why patriarchy was started in the first place. Thanks to all of you. A level sociology revision – education, families, research methods, crime and deviance and more! I thought that should be mentioned for the sake of reference. Feminist Mary Daly argued that Christianity was a set of patriarchal myths. Also if you want you can connect the dots in my others pieces on control of female sexuality and war. We now know from scientific studies that it’s extremely difficult to separate out the effects of nature and nurture, because they’re working together. I especially enjoyed discovering Barbara Alice Mann and her work on the Iroquoian clan mothers and other “First Nation” (as they say in Canada) topics. « Matrignosis: A Blog About Inner Wisdom, Patriarchy as a System of Male Dominance Created at the Intersection of the Control of Women, Private Property, and War, Part 2 by Carol P. Christ | Feminism and Religion, Gods of War by Barbara Ardinger | Feminism and Religion, Patriarchy As An Integral System of Male Dominance Created at the Intersection of the Control of Women, Private Property, and War, Part 3 | Feminism and Religion, Confronting Militarism And Patriarchy–The Take Away From The Congressional Hearings On Sexual Assault In The Ranks » Feminist Peace Network, WAR, WAR, WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR? She saw this religious patriarchy as being maintained in a number of ways: The early Catholic church systematically eliminated religions in which female gods were equal to or more powerful than male gods. Yet another romantic comedy, “Hitch”, taught me a few things. In today’s modern world, it holds no advantage, but 10s of thousands of years of evolution don’t just up and go away. Some of the most savage, primitive tribes in the world live in Indonesia. The women are they to SERVE THE MEN and, according to the males, are of little to no value otherwise. :). What are men afraid of? Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. As I remarked to Thea, I sometimes wonder if (especially to reclaim the Goddess) I shouldn’t depart on my ox like Lao-Tsu leaving his library, and librarianship, behind. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Share (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on RSS Feed (Opens in new window). Indonesia encompasses a huge area. Her earlier books include She Who Changes, and Rebirth of the Goddess and the widely used anthologies Womanspirit Rising and Weaving the Visions. What would have been unthinkable thus became “the way things are”. ( Log Out /  Man can have biologically unlimited number of offsprings while a woman cannot, that is why their genetic strategy is different. Ousia in ancient Greek refers to one’s being or essence. Violent/Abusive men are everywhere. Nowadays only a crazy woman wouldn’t be careful choosing her partner(s)! The Masuo culture of the Himalayas which has been recently studied, even as it is disappearing, is a classic example. Forgot INCEST and INFANTICIDE in the liist. She has been active in peace and justice movements all of her adult life. I would like to read more theory about why patriarchy happened in the first place. Why was that swap made? We can — and often do — run circles around them intellectually, but when you are dealing with a BULLY his BRUTE FORCE will win out every time — unfortunately. Society became patriarchal not because men somehow felt left out by Goddess religion and wanted to worship Father and Son (many men in patriarchal religions resume the cult of the Feminine in figures of May, female saints and Fatima in Shiite Islam. Ross, I agree with you in a mythological sense. Have you ever read Sex, Time, and Power by Dr. Leonard Shlain?? To me, the ideal would be large groups of women who did not have sex with men at all, but who were focused on loving women on all levels. The system I am defining as patriarchy is a system of domination enforced through violence and the threat of violence. Brava! Thank you for your contribution to our ability to push away this illusion and see another way. As humans began to enslave animals and control their breeding, they became more and more desensitized and war-like. That is not the case. And Islam later (circa 700 CE). IOW, communism doesn’t take human nature into account. This means that women derive their status not from their own contribution to society, but from their husband. (These tribes exist in several locations, not just in SE Asia.). The Mother-Daughter swapped for the Father-Son. Another powerful neurological theory is Julian Jaynes bicameral mind theory for the origin of consciousness. Marixs society is/was a classic utopian society which was bound to fail because there are always men and women who want more power than someone else. Sometimes these people are so savage that attempts to gather them to negotiate treaties, etc. As long as women cling to the very patriarchal perspective that women should regard their sexual behavior as something special, exclusive, valuable, such that sex with this person is right, but sex with that person is wrong, …. Spiritual vs. Material: The Middle Way? Celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month by Grace Yia-Hei Kao, 100 Years After Women’s Right to Vote, Our Feminist Struggle Continues by Gina Messina, Netflix Pandemic Show binge-a-thon by Anjeanette LeBoeuf. This is very different from the “tribal” battles that preceded it. You do not have to hate your brother because your mother loves you both and you both are understood to be permanent members of the maternal clan.