The problem is that the DMV is telling everyone that they will not issue a hardship license for folks behind on their child support. Conn. Gen. Stat. There are two main types of social security benefits for the impaired, and both can be considered in your petition for modification of child support payments. It is not entirely uncommon for a divorced father of four to pay less in child support … I had a fairly wealthy friend recently do his will from forms purchased over the internet (LegalZoom, I think). And, who can forget the autoworkers losing their jobs to bright yellow robots who could build cars smarter, better, faster? The DMV will not grant a hardship if money is owed for child support. When you get approved for your SSI benefits, you need to speak to your lawyer to set up a court date as quickly as you can to adjust your payments. After all, if we were still trying to figure out how to start a fire, you wouldn’t be reading this right now, and we would all be eating the original paleo diet. Every single person I’ve represented since 1993 for driving on a child support license suspension has believed that there is “no way” they can get their license back–because they cannot afford to pay all that is past due. So, we’re not going to get a hardship license if we owe back child support… I hate to say it, but the Department may take advantage of an unrepresented citizen. Fortunately, your child support payment amounts aren’t set in stone and if you qualify for Social Security Income or other disability benefits your child support payments can likely be modified. Nobody that I know of has ever stood up for the Blockbuster store clerks that are now unemployed. I received permanent alimony since 2003 with the check coming from the department of revenue. Now, this must be done with a motion. Often, new technologies mean job losses to someone, somewhere. It only takes a couple of missed payments to get a suspended license from child support, but most folks are tens of thousands of dollars behind. Ten years ago, he would have hired an attorney at 10 times the price. We’ll cut the DMV out of this completely. Created exclusively for LaFrance Law, the calculator uses the most current guidelines outlined in Florida State Statute 61.30. Since SSDI benefits are likely significantly less than your previous income, your child support payments will be reduced to reflect your new income. 601 Brickell Key Drive; Suite #507 Miami, Florida 33131 United States Phone: +1.786.309.8588 Fax: +1-866-281-2589 Social Security Disability Insurance, on the other hand, is available to all workers who become disabled, provided they have worked enough to qualify. Florida's Department of Revenue's Child Support Program monitors child support payments and will take measures to encourage payment if the parent does not pay as ordered. They just want you to start paying your child support. So, a human being was employed full time to operate the elevator. If you do not get derivative benefits, a court date is still a good idea. The DMV will not grant a hardship if money is owed for child support. 601 Brickell Key Drive; Suite 507 Miami, Florida 33131 United States Telephone: +1-786-309-8588 Fax: +1-866-281-2589, ©2019 Law Offices of Jeffrey Alan Aenlle, PA, Sorry, you have Javascript Disabled! That can be more than enough for anyone to deal with, but when you become disabled and can’t work, making the payments can become more of a struggle. No exceptions. 2017 HB 7131. But the DMV are the wrong people to ask. The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 grants districts attorneys and state attorneys generals the authority to collect back child support on behalf of custodial parents.