… However, they are still used on a black board for indicating relationships between formulas. You ask what $f_n$ means devoid of context. Your question has already been put on-hold, so the likelihood of getting an answer has been drastically reduced. a My best advice to you is to embrace as much of mathematical convention as possible - mathematics books do tend to use certain letters and symbols to describe similar things ($\phi$ is favored in intro algebra for homomorphisms, so when you see it out of context, you think "homomorphism"). The notation of mathematics can convey the ideas (for those that understand the language) far more succintly and powerfully than English or any other spoken/written language. Я читаю математические тексты на русском языке и не умею читать только уравнения. Questions about mathematical symbols, terms and expressions are on-topic (subject of course to general restrictions such as being clear, etc.) ⊥ means the bottom type (a.k.a. How many of us have had problems asking a question because we didn't know the right vocabulary to use? I see the difference between those. Immediately, I was encountered by math, but unfortunately unable to read it. How many of us have had students mired in a notational morass, essentially trying to outsmart themselves? When doing mathematics, we don't worry about shaping our thoughts to fit the rigid syntax of our language, like we do when programming. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. @EdwardZuckerberg my pleasure! d= 0 A!x Agoes to x(grammar production) A=)x Aderives x A=)x Aderives xin a number of steps A=) So why is "How do you read $e^x$?" And, the question/fact that made this work is. R (Re: 'history of math is riddled with examples (...) simply because the two fields did not speak a common mathematical language' etc) — a very nice speech indeed. user204305: Questions about how to read mathematical notation. ∈ What's the verdicts on hub-less circle bicycle wheels? Describe data preparation. It's also not guaranteed at all that one of the few users who speak Russian (I don't have statistics, but I don't think the number is extremely high) will see it. What language are you going to use? Some take their origin in punctuation marks and diacritics traditionally used in typography. Why do these angles look weird in my logo? And S stands for Sum. Letters are not sufficient for the need of mathematicians, and many other symbols are used. Questions about mathematical symbols, terms and expressions are on-topic (subject of course to general restrictions such as being clear, etc.) How to break the cycle of taking on more debt to pay the rates for debt I already have? I don't think questions asked 4,5 years ago (when Math.SE was basically just created) really count as precedent. Perhaps, however, my comment was serious in the sense that it is possible to ask a decent (subjective!) This kind of approach seems more concerned with having a rule to enforce than having Math SE be a place where questions of interest to mathematicians can be asked and answered. You might think that at least $f^n$ will always be $f$ to the $n$th power, but that's not always true either. How to read formulas for binary relations. the zero type or empty type); bottom is the subtype of every type in the, If ∑ = ('a', 'b', 'c') then ∑* includes '', 'a', 'ab', 'aba', 'abac', etc. But quite unrelated to questions about pronunciation... @GrigoryM Probably true in today's era, but let us not forget that notation was not always standardized, and the way you read math aloud could have very well been done in a way so as to leave the listener completely at a loss. Also, remember that when dealing with sets that are not explicitly given, strange things can happen - the set could be empty, the set could be infinite, and in fact the set could be uncountably infinite - think about writing a program that prints "all real numbers from 0 to 1.". The difference is that it is a question about the spoken language of mathematics rather than the written one, and the spoken one is less commonly asked about. Since nobody else has given this answer, I will put it here. I do not accept your assertion that I would be more likely to get an answer on the Russian SE, particularly if the mathematics were more advanced.