This is KEY because many pricey store-bought options lack the essential depth of flavor that makes good vanilla… good vanilla. Thank you for sharing and making the beans go twice as far for the money. I place about 10 vanilla beans in a food processor with ½ cup honey until smooth. I’m Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and blogger. Use your vanilla bean paste in place of vanilla extract in any recipe. I still smell the alcohol. With the price of vanilla constantly fluctuating, it’s very cost efficient to make your own. 4. The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. Pour into a mason jar, let cool completely before you close it. Store in a cool dry place in the pantry for up to a year. My goal is to give you the confidence and knowledge to cook and bake from scratch while providing quality recipes and plenty of pictures. Thank you. Cook on medium-low until you get … Veena is the author of three blogs - Veena Azmanov, Cake Decorating Tutorials, and East Indian Recipes.She writes about cooking, baking, desserts, and cake decorating. I plan to use a cheap name brand Vodka (Smirnoff’s) and Madagascar Bourbon beans. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. 1. They can go mouldy and can ruin your whole bottle of vanilla. Their paste packs such a rich flavor that one teaspoon can replace one vanilla bean in any recipe. It has a Carmel color, just not dark like vanilla should be. Yes, one teaspoon of vanilla paste added into a cake isn’t going to tip the sugar scales over the edge but if you could reduce it slightly and get a better product wouldn’t you try? Put it away in the pantry or cupboard and give it a couple of gentle shakes each day for about a week or so. Then there is a Tahitian vanilla bean which is said to have a subtle floral and fruity flavor and aroma. Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases... plus 10% off your next order! The vanilla bean paste requires a few more ingredients but it is quick and easy to prepare provided you have a food processor. If you combine the ingredients yourself, you can save a lot of money. A dear reader named Jill emailed me last year and said that once she began making her own vanilla extract, her baked goods tasted even better than before. Its now November 1, 2020 so it should be ready to use but my vanilla liquid is not dark. Cook on medium-low until you get a thick syrup consistency. Store the infusing vanilla out of direct sunlight and give it a shake once per week. On her blogs, you will find delicious, easy and practical recipes often with instructional videos and tutorials for the home cook. Remember, the longer you leave the magical elixir to steep the stronger, darker and thicker it will become.