I know farmers who add black strap molasses to their hay. 🙁, Hi Amanda. We went to England almost 3 years ago and had tea in the town of Windsor, by the castle and had clotted cream for the first time. At 175, my oven does an auto shutoff, so I do 12 hours at 180. I am going to try this although my oven doesn’t have a setting below 200F- it just says “warm” so I’ll try making it on “warm’ for the 12 hours. I was scared cause it was runny but set up in frig just fine. This will definitely work, you will just not have as high a yield. Worked beautifully as written! Very easy. Start to reheat the pan of milk exactly as before. Is this the way it should have made up?? I could so go for a scone and some clotted cream right now! I’m tempted to try it with what I can get to see if it works. We bought the right kind of cream and cooked it per instructions in a fairly deep oval baker the cream was around 2 inches deep. Hi Monika ~ did you stir the liquid and thickened part together? It gets an orangey brown on top, which turns the cream underneath beige. My oven’s lowest temp is 200. This is a question that we get often from our readers, so we did some testing to find out. Those were the good old days . Sooo the clotted cream came out great! If you don’t like the crusty parts, try covering your container in the oven, that should help. Cut a hole in a corner of the cream and pour the liquid into the colander. I think i pulled it out too early. Yours, in particular! It’s a little hard to find, but if you have a Whole Foods, they carry it, and Trader Joe’s does, too. I didnt read anything in your directions about simmering cream??? And when making scones do we just replace the half and half with the whey? I don’t live in the US…no Whole Foods for me…. Now that we’re heading into fall, I’m going to be making a few batches. But I was wondering if clotted cream needs to be baked at 12 hours or can the time be shorten? I thought it was the most decadent thing I’d ever had. How much clotted cream does your recipe make and how long will it keep in the refrigerator? Should I just scrap it, get some more cream and try again? I think you forgot to day to cover the dish while cooking. I ran into the kitchen to pull out my cream and he opened the oven and pulled the cream out with his bare hands, which leads me to believe that he turned the oven off before coming to bed (sometime after 3:30- I believe I noticed the sun coming up so it could’ve been 6/6:30am). I found your recipe and decided to give it a whirl. Then refrigerate, and while it chills the whole thing kind of meshes together. i make clotted cream mixing 2 liter of full cream with 2 little 3.5% milk place on top of oven on high heat till it comes on top remove cover with lid ,cover eith lots of blankets for 24 hours the remove cover place in fridge for 24 hours , you will have clotted cream ,remove ,then you can make a yogurt from the leftovers milk. I think it may be Amanda, this is such a specific process. Thanks! There is supposed to be a crust on top, sometimes even pretty hard, that’s part of the clotted cream. Joe P. I haven’t tried it yet Joe because my yogurt maker has one large container that is tall and deep and I don’t think it would work…what size and shape is the container of your yogurt maker? Use one of the Hamilton beach ones with the little steam hole, or crack the lid a tad (the oven causes some evaporation while a crockpot will not with the lid on). Welcome in Feryall, I’m so glad to have you here. Haha! OK now I HAVE to make a point to get there, thanks for stopping by Kam . I can’t imagine how you would have burned anything at 180F Patricia, that’s a very low temp. I hope I like it better that way. It’s a bit like milk that goes bad. I will whole heartedly agree that the Fairmont Empress was one of the most beautiful and elegant places I’ve ever been to. So bummed. Did everything according to the directions and when I took it out of the refrigerator some of it was lumpy like cold butter. There’s always a sign up form on the right hand side of any page on my blog, Debora, and here’s a link for you I’ve always loved it but have never thought to try making it from scratch. All of our seeds are currently in stock. (I have made cricket teas for 30 plus years!). I’m just wondering if it would be bad to try this recipe out with an oven that only goes down to 200 F / 95 C? (Clotted cream can also be frozen and thawed in the refrigerator, if desired.). I was raised on it, so were my children, and even some of the older grandchildren had it as little ones. 1) I’m assuming that you don’t do any stirring during this process, until, maybe at the end. Delish!! I do afternoon tea frequently and love hearing about other people enjoying it as well! Using heavy whipping cream that is not ultra pasteurized in a home made scalding bath is about as close as you can get to the real thing without more commercial equipment and access to raw milk or cream. Chilled in the fridge, covered, for probably 8 hours before I scooped it into a jar. I hope they invite me back, I really enjoyed myself. Required fields are marked *. Clotted Cream is deliciously creamy and the essential companion to a batch of British scones. Thank you for posting this amazing recipe. What do you do with any leftover thin,milky cream? To get you fired up about good food! This looks absolutely brilliant, Sue. I think it depends on exactly what you end up with, Jo, you can stir if necessary, at the end, as you scoop it into your jars. This can be a tricky recipe, but once you hit on the exact method, you’ll be so glad. I guess I’d say refrigerate and see what you get, and otherwise you’ll have to start over, I’m afraid. Tea, High Tea, and Afternoon Tea are all different. I haven’t tried the recipe yet. What is the very best method? Don’t open the door either. You can leave it in the oven over night. I can’t wait until tomorrow to taste it! Must be the right stuff cause it expires next week where all the others on the shelf are good through October. Use a colander and a bowl for the liquid. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I think it is the most used of all the ones I have saved! Be sure to check back in after you try it . The Most Common Emergency And Disaster Scenarios, 52 Weeks To Preparedness: A Step-By-Step Online Guide. That is a pretty efficient yield! 3) The pan with the cream should be covered with foil. It’s the same each way! Imeruli Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread), Sheer Khurma (Persian Vermicelli Pudding), Bolón de Verde (Ecuadorian Green Plantain Fritters), Cypriot Flaounes (Greek Easter Cheese Bread), Salvadoran Quesadilla (Sweet Cheese Pound Cake). looks just like the one in the photo with the light yellow crust on top. I tried the recipe and not sure what went wrong but wanted to check in to see if you might have some ideas. I used an 11x 8 oblong casserole dish, Nayda. I can’t say for sure, Jordan, you might just have to experiment. Thanks for the step by step of your experience Laura, I know it will help others! What a beautiful place to enjoy tea and what a wonderful idea you came away with! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/clotted-cream-recipe2.html. It has a wide “funnel” part – perfect for filling jars.