cheers **** jakyo :-). Using a drill/driver, drive 1¼-inch pocket hole screws through the pocket holes in the Rails and into the Stiles to hold the pieces in place. Not only can it suffice as an easel, I use it for a copy stand when I want to copy something that is too large to scan. Repeat to assemble the second Frame. Start by stacking the panels exactly on top of each other. This portable easel is carried by a rope handle, and lengths of rope also supply tension between the two panels so they won’t slide all the way open while your kids (or you!) on Introduction, Cool idea--good idea for photography, too! To give my two arts-and-crafts-loving girls the freedom to always be able to take advantage of the best natural light, we DIYed an on-the-go tabletop easel that’s easy to transport anywhere—to the kitchen, the back porch, or even outside. What Is a Helicopter Air Ambulance Pilot's Salary?→. Click on the photo to learn more. Use a piano hinge to attach the pieces together on the long side. She holds a Bachelor of Science in journalism from New York University. If using corrugated cardboard, the ridges of the … My husband walked in and said “Hey, I can make an easel if that would help you.” He didn’t have to ask twice. Using a drill/driver and a pocket hole jig, drill two pocket holes along each edge of the Panels, as shown. Knot one end of the rope and thread it through the front of one easel panel, then measure 2 feet out on the rope and cut it. Tape the small piece of cardboard on the front of the easel to the flaps on the side with duct tape. Just find a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the rivet, and drill at it from either side. Cut a piece of cardboard the same height and width. This portable easel is exceptionally customizable, so feel free to adapt it to your family’s needs. Your email address will not be published. Place two hinges on the backside of the Frame along its top edge. This will not only make it attractive, but will also ensure that it is safe to use. Andrea Hermitt is an artist and writer who loves to research and write about new things. Lady Gaga Cosplay - 2020 VMA's Halloween Costume, https://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Desktop-Drawing-and-Painting-Easel-with-W/. ), Miter Saw (or the friendly people at your hardware might cut them for you. The pyramid shape that is created as you bend the folds should be on top. Not only can it suffice as an easel, I use it for a copy stand when I want to copy something Let this photo tutorial walk you through the steps of making your own DIY easel. Altogether, this is a quick DIY that’s a great addition to any office space! I priced some easels and they start at around $50 or so. The type of easel you get depends on the kind of painting you do the most. Make a mark 1½-inches from the bottom end of each of the Stiles. Raphael received the Janet B. Smith Literary Award in 2002. You will cut two items from your pattern. No Budget Table Top Easel Step 1: Tools and Materials. Click the tabs below to see the tools, materials and cut list. A great alternative is a tabletop easel, one you can make yourself. You’ll be left with four pieces—the pair of 21-inch by 24-inch boards will become the panels of your tabletop easel, and the two 3-inch by 24-inch boards will be the trays for resting art supplies. Saw the boards exactly in half at this point. This project can be adjusted during the construction stage for thicker books. As always, if you don’t have a circular saw at home, check with your home improvement store where you pick up the MDF to see if they can make the cuts for you. Made from on-hand materials, this project will provide a space- and cost-efficient alternative to large, freestanding easels. Made up of two parts that can be cut at the same time (called stack cutting), using 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick MDF, plywood or lumber of your choice.