Two posts on other side hold the ball in place (see photos below). Change with the same gauge of strings as you used before. Remember to let the string slide through your left fingers, and then hold the spot when the string looks like this. Immediately press the burnt end of the cord against the lighters metal housing; just enough to form a mushroom without flattening the end of the cord making it brittle. 3. Acoustic guitars tend to come equipped with light strings. Get your answers by asking now. Ideally, you want a sol… Slacken the strings and pull the endpin through the tailpiece loop as normal. Pass one end of the new string through the hole in the top of the bridge, in the direction away from the soundhole. "I just bought a set of Eudoxas to try out, but I've never installed loop-end strings before. Afterlength is adjusted at tail gut length to suit either method unless there is really bad geometry. I just got new strings. Your intonation may be off if you use a heavier or lighter set than you currently use. Cordially, as always (unless unjustly crossed) . He won't loop the string around the front edge of the tailpiece. I took the position that loop end strings should be attached to the tail piece just as ball end synthetic strings are attached, namely by sliding the string into the slot on the tailpiece and letting the knot at the loop end act as a stopper to keep the string from slipping through the slot. Don't use loop end strings on ball end tuners. Wow. With clockmakers pliers or tweezers string replacement only takes one minute and gives the opportunity for some peg maintenance. Then, while using your lighter, burn one edge as you rotate the cord over the flame. So, if JConner follows our advice, he'll stick the looped end into the tailpiece slot so that the knot acts as a stopper on the under side of the tailpiece in keeping the string attached to the tailpiece. [This message has been edited by Ludwig (edited 09-19-2000). You'll effectively be shortening the afterlength. Put the string through the tuner and start tuning it up - remember to keep good tension on the string as you tighten. 1. Still have questions? As a ball begins to form on the end of the cord you should blow out the flame.   You cannot paste images directly. Gut strings, being made of natural materials, are not the most reliable strings to use. Step 5: Make a 90 degree bend in the string where your left hand has marked the spot. the loop then the peg. Let's call this the Loop Advocate's method. Later, when I picked up my violin at the repair shop, the repair woman there had strung the violin as if the knotted loops were balls. In the end we did agree that the Loop Advocate's method did, in effect, create a shorter afterlength, even though there was no change in tailpiece position. Using the “bulbed” end of your cord, tie a cinch knot (as shown) above your mark on the bowstring. While your D-Loop may appear small at first, understand that it will stretch over time and it only needs to be long enough to supply ample room to accept your release head without interfering with the arrows nock. Attaching the string to the tuning post, however, can be a bit trickier. www.quinviolins.com recommends medium gauge sets with stiff G and D. [This message has been edited by charly (edited 09-20-2000).].