I love the idea of baking on the lid, Droplet, but I do have a Dutch oven with a knob, so it wouldn't work...but now I know what to ask for when my birthday rolls around! But with a cover, that may be perfect. My breads always touch the sides as well as the bottom with no greasing or lining and they have never stuck. One baker blends her South Asian heritage and American upbringing. Wow. So I've been experimenting with using a baking stone and steaming the oven with lava rocks but I can't seem to figure out how to best transfer awkward shapes like baguettes, ciabattas, fougasses, or small rolls into the oven with them falling off or flipping over. Fret not, this post on transferring bread dough from proofing basket to hot oven has a few methods to ensure our dough gets safely into the oven with little negative impact. Must get dough in without burning self! First, a note about using parchment paper: I almost always use it when baking bread at home. Does it fill the oven? All-purpose flour, semolina, and cornmeal are all good options for this! Lifting the loaf into the pot and leaving the parchment in the bottom or flipping the loaf, so it is seam-side down, into the pot are both great techniques — you can choose whichever works best for you. A couple of other things to note: I did not heat up the Dutch oven per the instructions, but I have made this recipe in my crockpot insert both when it has and has not been preheated, and it has turned out both ways, so I figured it would be the same case here. That sounds awesome. In each of the methods above, parchment paper helps the dough get into your home oven without damage. Next, open your preheated oven and drag (or scoot) the parchment and dough onto your baking stone (or as seen below, a Baking Steel). ;o). I have been making a 700 gm (flour) loaf, proofing it in a rectangular banneton with a floured dish towel, turning it out onto a rectangle of parchment and transferring it with the paper as a sling to an Emile Henry baker. A cast iron combo cooker is similar to a Dutch oven (lidded pot). Budding bread nerd here. And I dump it in and run away because I'm scared. because in the blog post about making crusty bread in a ditch oven indicates to just flipnrhe bread into the hot pot, but this sounds different and i’m not sure which to follow since they are both KAF directions lol, Hi there, Nina! I'm thinking about trying that sometime, as my Dutch oven -- a perfect-in-every-other-respect Wagner Ware one from the 70's -- is much larger than is recommended. Use the pizza peel to slide it under the parchment and remove the baked loaf. Let’s look at a few substitutes to help you bake crusty bread without a Dutch Oven. It came out intact eventually though next time I'll try greasing before baking! Usually oval baskets are not as deep as they are wide, so it’s hard to place the peel on top of the basket without smashing the dough. Don't worry if your baking setup doesn't look exactly the same; these methods are similar enough to apply to a different pot or oven setup. I know that if you already have a Dutch oven, you're probably loathe to get another Dutch-oven-y type thing, but I love my cast iron combo cooker. I've used my dutch oven and also the emile henry cloche thing you all sell - it's red from your catalogue. If it was me I'd just let it cool completely in its stuck state and then cut it and take it out in sections, otherwise squishing the hot crumb will ruin it for you. Steaming a home oven without a pot has been discussed here before, but it’s worth further exploring a way to easily get one or two loaves into and out of the oven. Previously, I had used the insert of my crockpot/slow cooker with foil on top, but I purchased a cast iron Dutch oven the other day, and I was excited to make something in it, so I made this super quick bread. Wrinkles are ok? We’ve all made the mistake of loading two loaves too close together and they end up touching in the oven!