Maxine. They don’t want to do that to me, but they just have to know. Super-human bone density from all that vitamin K. Watch a 90-year-old Japanese dude sprint up a mountain wearing a full pack and then tell me that bone density doesn’t matter. Yes. 2000;30(6):298-307. doi:10.1159/000054147, "Natto: A Breakfast Dish That's An Acquired Taste", "Japan opens 98th national airport in Ibaraki", "History of Natto and Its Relatives (1405-2012) - SoyInfo Center", "History of Soy Nuggets (Shih or Chi, Douchi, Hamanatto) - Page 1", "Phylogenetic Analysis of Bacillus subtilis Strains Applicable to Natto (Fermented Soybean) Production", "Identification of Two Major Ammonia-Releasing Reactions Involved in Secondary Natto Fermentation", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nattō&oldid=987736953, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles containing Japanese-language text, Articles needing additional medical references from June 2019, All articles needing additional references, Articles requiring reliable medical sources, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 8 November 2020, at 22:56. Salt was expensive and valuable at the time, thereupon it is inferred that nattō was invented by accident during the production of 豉(chǐ). (Note: I also make it a point not to eat whales, dolphins, or turtles. Natto = soybeans + bacteria + time. Sources differ about the earliest origin of nattō. For the next month I’m going to be eating natto once a day, every day, without exception. I think I will try to visit before it comes down and goes up(2013). More on these in later posts), then someone looking to add natto to their diet could potentially do so by: A) Eating a lot of natto to get used to it and. My dive buddy, and island otousan (father) Yoda-san comes from Kansai, where Osaka and Kyoto are, a region located firmly in anti-natto territory. To say nothing of the mirror. A 2009 Internet survey in Japan indicated 70.2% of respondents like nattō and 29.8% do not, but out of the 29.8% who dislike nattō, about half of them eat nattō for its health benefits.[16]. Read to learn about easy-to-eat natto, vegan and vegetarian recipes, and how to enjoy this nutritious traditional food, with tips from a natto guru and influencer. A typical package contains two, three, or occasionally four containers, each 40 to 50 g. One container typically complements a small bowl of rice. I will not only eat every last one of them, I will enjoy them. 豉(chǐ) refers to salted, fermented-and-aged whole soybean seasonings or condiments invented in China and had been spread throughout East Asia as a merchandise. [2] It is served with karashi mustard, soy or tare sauce, and sometimes Japanese bunching onion. It’s one of nature’s super foods, and one of the healthiest foods in the famously healthy Japanese diet. Vous pouvez modifier vos choix à tout moment dans vos paramètres de vie privée. It’s one of nature’s super foods, and one of the healthiest foods in the famously healthy Japanese diet. In addition, certain West African bean products are fermented with the bacillus, including dawadawa, sumbala, and iru, made from néré seeds or soybeans, and ogiri, made from sesame or melon seeds. [13][14], The cultivation method of soybeans and rice was imported from China to Japan during the Yayoi period, and later on, the circulation of salt began to flourish in Japan. As people happened to eat these fermented beans and found them delicious, this type of fermented stringy beans soon gained popularity in Japan because of its unique taste and strong flavor. But, I did enjoy your article and even laughed aloud a few times. Natto is the traditional Japanese soybeans that are fermented with bacillus subtilis. There’s even natto ice cream. Its major claim to fame in the greater Japanese sphere of influence is that gaijin such as myself, hate and cannot eat it, while Japanese 4-year olds happily slurp it down and laugh at us. Even though workers use B. subtilis natto as the starting culture, which can suppress some undesired bacterial growth, workers pay extra-close attention not to introduce skin flora on to soy beans.[17]. No longer will I suffer the indignity, the shame of having to bow under natto’s cruel yoke! Aside from that, expect me to be back about once a week to keep you updated on this project. The Chinese character 豉(chǐ) entered Japan in the 8th century. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 27, Schurgers LJ, Vermeer C. Determination of phylloquinone and menaquinones in food. The soybeans were packed in straw and left to ferment. One theory is that nattō was codeveloped in multiple locations in the distant past, since it is simple to make with ingredients and tools commonly available in Japan since ancient times.