This is a pergola thing? Regardless of what the tables say, I'd never stretch a 2X6 that far. also available for the Android OS. what the code is here, but would guess around 2x10 is needed. Yes, a 16 foot 2x6 may look like a pretzle. "I have learned so much thanks to the searchable articles on the FHB website. No math, no measuring—just a simple jig made from an elastic band is all you need to lay out a good-looking deck railing. I don't know. Can the 2×6 support the weight of this without a post at 8 feet? No actual roof - just slats? I. personally would use a much deeper joist. is 8'-9" too far of a pergola beam span with doubled up 2x10's...this measurement is based off off 14' span with 3' knee beaces on each side..i dont want any beam sag... AndrewNJ 09:27AM | 06/26/20 Your length to depth ratio is almost 35 to one. Yes, a 16 foot 2x6 may look like a pretzle, after a year in the sun and rain without support. Credit cards? Become a member and get instant access to thousands of videos, how-tos, tool reviews, and design features. Why not do the cable rail trick, no "joists" at all. Featuring the evolution of glass windows, secrets of slate roofing, making sense of minisplits, beyond the basics of fireblocking; and much more. It will be approximately 16×16. I, personally would use a much deeper joist. after a year in the sun and rain without support. Beam size for long span on pergola decks fencing contractor talk what is max distance between posts using 2x12x20 foot beams for a pergola beam span calculator pergolainstructions key 5413352419 pergola beam span calculator pergolaforcarport span tables for 8 x12 x24 western red cedar this pergola measuring pergola dimensions learn the standard. Does it tend to cause the 4x6 to bow inward? There's a lot of difference between what you CAN span and what you SHOULD span. While every effort has been made to insure the accuracy of the information presented, and special effort has been made to assure that the information reflects the state-of-the-art, neither the West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau, the American Wood Council nor its members assume any responsibility for any particular design prepared from this Online Span Calculator. © 2020 The Taunton Press, Inc. All rights reserved. - M.K. Please explain how you staple the slats to the cable. You also have to consider allowable span, based on the size of the pergola you’re building. 2x2 slats. We are think of 4 posts and spanning it with 2x6s. How much tension do you have to put on the cable? It amazes me that people can dig themselves into such a deep hole with such a little piece of plastic. So for this particular pergola we'd need to position posts at 5' in from the outside posts, giving … I can confidently say that I expect to be a life-long subscriber." I’m in the process of helping a neighbor with a sun porch he is building. No, a 2x6 will probably not collapse under the weight of a few, 2x2 slats. We don't know your local loading requirements and can't give you a definite answer. A double 2x12 beam can span 12 feet; a (2) 2x10 can span 10 feet and so on. No, a 2x6 will probably not collapse under the weight of a few. The key to designing a pergola is its visual proportion. what the code is here, but would guess around 2x10 is needed. Fine Homebuilding – Dec 2020/Jan 2021, Issue #296, Micro-Adjust Deck-Baluster Spacing for an Eye-Deceiving Layout, Podcast 299: Attic Ductwork, Twice Double-Hipped Roofs, and Keeping Warm in Calgary, Installing ZIP System Sheathing: Rough Openings With Liquid-Applied Flashing, Installing ZIP System Sheathing: Rough Openings With Flashing Tape, Installing ZIP System Sheathing: Sealing Penetrations, Plus, get an extra 20% off with code GIFT20, Simple Way to Make Old Walls Straight and Plumb, Expert insights on techniques and principles. I don't know. To shorten the span, install two additional posts to bring the centre distance to around a maximum of 10' (less if possible). When supporting joists that span 12 feet with no overhang beyond the beam, a double ply beam can span in feet a value equal to its depth in inches. Dimensional Lumber Deck Beam Span Chart The numbers in gray indicate the distance between the support posts. No actual roof - just slats? 4 posts, 4X6 around periphery only, string 1/8 galvanized cable and staple the slats to those. Sounds like a giant banjo string. This is a pergola thing? Start your subscription today and save up to 52%. And of course, check on local codes. Span Calculator for Wood Joists and Rafters also available for the Android OS. With 2×6 posts, the girders and cross-members will need to be larger, otherwise the top of the structure will look undersized and anemic. Get complete site access to expert advice, how-to videos, Code Check, and more, plus the print magazine. Here we have a very long pergola beam span of 20m. On top of the 2×6 would be some 2×2 lathes to provide the shade.