Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm Always asked for. Yes, it is. If you plan to chill for a long period to allow it to thicken, it's best to mix the pecans in after the frosting comes out of the refrigerator for cake assembly. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. If you add too much at once, the frosting will become too sweet and may become too thick. Get your answers by asking now. It’s made of hot evaporated milk, sugar and butter thickened with eggs with coconut and pecan chips mixed it. Tip: If you need your coconut pecan frosting to cool quickly you can spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes or so. Great tip on tempering the eggs! Terms of Use This is for a german chocolate cake, the frosting is cooked for 12 min, it has 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 teas. Ew. This is a great recipe! Decorating It's even good if you end up cooking the apples 2 or 3 days because you don't ... you want to eat it up quick--by the third night it starts getting watery. In that case, beat it over a double boiler until it thickens, then chill it to further enhance its spreadability. This is especially important when you’re adding ingredients to thicken up your frosting. If you make that wonder cream recipe you may as well just make your own without the canned stuff in it.. it's just as much work.SMBC is swiss meringue buttercream. Too much can lead to graininess or an off taste, especially with cornstarch. I have always loved German Chocolate cake with Coconut Pecan frosting. As the frosting heats up from being mixed, the butter will melt, making the consistency thinner. Over medium heat bring the mixture to a low simmer while continuing to stir. Traditional German chocolate cake relies on a rich filling and frosting made of egg yolks, sugar, evaporated milk and butter to bind and decorate its chocolate layers. This frosting, which is studded with coconut and pecans, needs to be thick enough to hold the layers together. Cooks.com - Recipes - Custard Pie. Thank you wikiHow. I have just used the store bought and preferred the one that requires cooking. Heating cream causes it to reduce down, becoming thicker as a result. If you would like the frosting to be thicker, mix another ½ tablespoon (7.5 g) of powdered sugar into the frosting. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26014/coconut-pecan-frosting-ii I always just cook mine on the stove on low heat. Flour has a distinctive taste when eaten raw, and the only way to get rid of this taste is by cooking it out. Mine turned out lumpy also and watery ….. not sure what I did wrong ….. No, it doesn’t, but it will last longer if you do. Less is more! When I made it, it thickened well on the stove, but the butter separated. Over medium heat, while continuing to stir, bring the mixture back to a low simmer. Otherwise, the nuts can turn soggy. ... PECAN CUSTARD PIE. Moms too , since it’s her mother! Easy to make and frosting came out great! If so, leave me a rating and comment below! Ontario,Canada. When the butter, milk and sugar begin to simmer, remove it from the heat. It congeals when exposed to low temperatures, though, so it is not ideal for use with frostings that need to remain refrigerated.