In his spare time, he enjoys going to concerts in Boston, running along the Charles river, and spending time with his friends. Video camera surveillance is a fairly recent phenomenon. Grace Sullivan is a senior at Harvard studying Social Studies, a concentration incorporating government, history, and other disciplines within the social sciences. She is incredibly excited to direct the Commission on Narcotic Drugs at this year’s HMUN India! Every year, HMUN China delegates leave conference carrying the lessons that they’ve learned in and outside of the committee room with them, confident that they are ready to become leaders and change-makers in their own communities. Currently living in Currier House at Harvard, Fernando is originally from the small and rural town of Paw Paw, Michigan in the southwestern part of the state. Topic: Protection of Cultural Heritage Sites During Armed Conflicts & Pesticides. This past year, I assistant directed for the Legal Committee at HMUN. Modern security technology does not only extend to nations and typical weaponry; non-state actors, namely terrorist organizations, have been able to weaponize global systems of communication and transport. The Sustainable Development Goals provide us with an incredibly important set of ideas and language to engage with the world’s most pressing disparities. Does this mean just adding to the current clause? Timary Sessions is a third-year student studying Sociology and Portuguese. Through his time directing with HMUN, he has come to appreciate the ability of Model United Nations to teach the skills of cooperation, policymaking, and public to young people. In the Model UN world, I am also Deputy Under-Secretary-General for the General Assembly at HMUN and Director of the Press Corps at HNMUN. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. A Letter from the Secretary-General. Matthew Rossi is a junior at Harvard College studying Social Anthropology and Government, with a primary focus in migration, violence, and human rights. Ali is so excited to be directing the WHO committee this year. Through my time at Harvard, I have loved traveling around the world for independent research and with Harvard WorldMUN. Does it call for the creation of a new subcommittee? This will be Matt's second HMUN China, having served as the Director for the Legal Committee at HMUN China 2019. ( Log Out /  I have found that my passion lies in understanding issues surrounding refugees, immigration, gender equality, prison reformation, and equal education. According to the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), around 263 million children and adolescents are out of school. Aaryan is excited to learn alongside you at the upcoming HMUN India 2020. Established under the original 1945 Charter of the UN, the GA was conceived alongside the birth of the UN and captures the all-encompassing spirit of multilateral discussion that motivated the formation of its parent international organization. He was born in the Bay Area, California and has lived in Mumbai, India since 2012. Global Disparities in Health Professional Training. Humanitarian community has done a lot of efforts on identifying most pressing weaknesses of past and contemporary humanitarian responses. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. He also is involved informally with political debate and conducts personal research on IR issues such as energy economics and geopolitics. Director: Janna Ramadan. If you have any questions between now and the conference, please never hesitate to contact her! Outside of Model UN, he partakes in geology and astrophysical research on campus, loves to sing and listen to music, and frequently explores Cambridge and Boston with his friends. In 2030, video camera surveillance has become commonplace all around the world, and extensive CCTV systems are in place and utilized by governments to monitor and track the activities of the people in their country every day, including foreign visitors. I was born in New York City, but I have grown up in Charlottesville, Virginia for most of my life. Please contact Ali at who@hmunchina.org! Social, Humanitarian, and Cultural Committee. At Harvard I am involved in multiple MUN conferences, the Arabic debate team, musical theatre and the Astronomy club! I wish to be someone who is supporting you before and during the conference. Outside of school and clubs, I work at the Loeb Music Library, and dance for Harvard’s Asian American Dance Troupe. For Syrian kids in refugee camps, is having second-hand materials in a high-risk zone a proper learning environment? Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary Committee) deals with the administration and budget of the United Nations; and; Sixth Committee (Legal Committee) deals with international legal matters. The Effects of Climate Change on Poor Communities. … He has competed in Policy Debate competitions and Model United Nations conferences since the beginning of high school and has won awards on the national level. She is also involved in a consulting group at Harvard and ceramics club. On campus, he serves as the Co-President of International Relations on Campus (IRoC) organization at Harvard, is a Board Member of the Harvard International Relations Council (IRC), and is on the Intercollegiate Model United Nations Team. From the perspective of your country, how can we most effectively improve aid delivery? I study Government, Psychology, and Economics. Fernando most recently served as the Under-Secretary-General for Business at HNMUN 2020, currently serves as the Under-Secretary-General for the Economic and Social Council of HNMUN 2021, and is also a member of the Board of Directors for the Harvard International Relations Council. She is originally from Baltimore, Maryland. Harvard Model United Nations is the oldest, largest, and one of the most international conferences of its kind, with delegates hailing from roughly 60 countries at the most recent session. Direct Message. On campus, she serves as a Deputy Director for Harvard’s traveling MUN team. Wait, who even is she? You can often find me in my natural habitat: the coffee shop, enjoying a chai tea. HMUN Harvard Model United Nations. Sofía is a rising senior at Harvard from Guatemala City, Guatemala, land of eternal spring. In my free time, I play on the club tennis team, enjoy adventuring, and finding fluffy dogs to pet. For vulnerable populations with already limited protections to ensure physical and mental safety, rights like education are not prioritized. In particular, Grace loves to study legal history, critical theory, and ethics. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Through his time at Harvard, he has loved traveling around the world for independent research and with Harvard WorldMUN. On Harvard’s campus, I am heavily involved in the International Relations Council and the Institute of Politics. Fernando Urbina is a junior at Harvard College studying Government with a Secondary Field in Ethnicity, Migration, & Rights. In my senior year of high school, I served as the chair of the EAMUN committee in my high school making me even more passionate about Model UN. Humanitarian community has done a lot of efforts on identifying most pressing weaknesses of past and contemporary humanitarian responses. Can forcing Uihgyur, Tibetan, and inner Mongolian children to attend education camps, where they are taught to assimilate to Chinese culture and forget their own native culture, be considered an education? I am so excited to direct HMUN India’s online SOCHUM committee and meet you all (virtually)! My name is Georgia Steigerwald and I’m a rising sophomore(?) Is there a way to create a culture that makes accountable humanitarian efforts a responsibility, rather than a voluntary act of charity? Most importantly, I hope to see each one of you embrace the United Nations spirit of working collaboratively and respectfully with the commitment to make the world a better place. Special Political and Decolonization Committee. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. In addition, Matt is the Under-Secretary-General for the Economic and Social Council and Regional Bodies at Harvard National Model … Additionally, he is a teacher for the Harvard CIVICS program, through which he gets to teach U.S. civics to elementary school students every week. I was born in New York City, but I have grown up in Charlottesville, Virginia for most of my life. I am  involved in quantitative research at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, lead Harvard College Bhangra (a dance group on campus), and co-head  a venture at the Harvard Innovation Labs. I could not be more excited to continue the unparalleled level of substantive excellence that Harvard Model United Nations is renowned for at our sixty-eighth session. I know all of you are great leaders, but I hope you come to this conference with the wisdom of knowing when to take a step forward and when to take a step back. Hi! Born and raised in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan, Jonathan is a student in Lowell House studying Social Studies and Computer Science with a Secondary in Arabic. We are looking forward to reading your responses! Special Political and Decolonization Committee. Welcome to the World Conference on Women! My name is Nora Marzouqa, I am a rising Junior at the college double majoring in Neuroscience and History of Science. I was born in the Bay Area, California and has lived in Mumbai, India since 2012. With his (little) time outside of Model UN, Matt is also a broadcaster for WHRB 95.3 FM, Harvard's very own radio station, where he is a member of the Classical Music Department, and is the Senior Design Editor for the Harvard Political Review. He is incredibly excited to welcome delegates to HMUN China and lead the Special Political and Decolonization Committee. Contact: specpol@harvardmun.org. Change ). Outside of Model UN, Natalka is a member of Harvard’s consulting club, has interned in private equity and investment, and does research in the economics department. This will be Grace’s first time directing a committee at HMUN India, and she could not be more excited to meet the delegates. ( Log Out /  Ensuring universal education still struggles with being implemented properly and in quality. I am an international student from Bethlehem, Palestine. When not debating, Jonathan can be found in the kitchen cooking up a storm or outside hiking in the wilderness. Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary Committee) deals with the administration and budget of the United Nations; and Sixth Committee (Legal Committee) deals with international legal matters. Our task is to examine the current framework, the successes, the failures, and places for improvement. The sixty-eighth session of Harvard Model United Nations will be held from Thursday, January 28 to Sunday, January 31, 2021. Today, we are no longer dealing with the V-1 planes and V-2 rockets that caused widespread devastation during the second World War but rather weapons that are capable of causing much more damage within a matter of seconds and can extend across continents. Ali Barker is a junior at Harvard College, where she studies psychology. Application information, along with other important dates and deadlines, can be found on the Registration tab of our website. I would like to hear delegates debate the ways that the United Nations, and the World Health Organization in particular, could strive to bring nations worldwide up to standards, as well as what these standards should be. Please prioritize depth and substance over breadth or answering the questions in their entirety. Historical committees are an exciting way of stepping back in time and revisiting revolutionary discussions that took place in the world. I’ve participated in MUN since high school and have chaired conferences at NHSMUN, HMUN, and HNMUN, and I am pumped for WorldMUN!