East of here, it used parallel roads instead: modern "Old Route 17" (Delaware CR 17 and Sullivan CRs 179A to 174) from Deposit to Monticello, Sullivan CRs 173 to 171 between Monticello and Bloomingburg, and Orange CR 76 and NY 17M from Bloomingburg to Harriman. But foggy mountain roads (plus insane Hwy 17 drivers), that sounds downright suicidal! [24] In addition, the tight turns and steep inclines along the route led to numerous fatal crashes, including two milk tanker truck crashes in the mid-1950s. § 794 (d), please call 800-367-7623. From the Pennsylvania border to the village of Waverly and from Binghamton to Windsor, NY 17 is concurrent with Interstate 86 (I-86). On the other side of the county line, NY 17 enters the village of Sloatsburg, where it meets Seven Lakes Drive and connects to CR 72 by way of a modified trumpet interchange. [27][29], As more continuous pieces of the expressway opened during the 1970s, NY 17 was realigned onto them, with much of NY 17's old alignment becoming NY 394, NY 417, or NY 17C. Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz Shopping Strip Centers.... How is Santa Cruz, UC Santa Cruz college like? [41], The New York State Thruway Authority converted the Harriman Toll Barrier at the interchange of NY 17 and I-87 (exit 16 on I-87) to cashless tolling. I 17 AZ Live traffic coverage with maps and news updates - Interstate 17 Arizona Highway Information ... NFL superstar DeAndre Hopkins appeared to flip the bird at a caravan of Trump fans while swerving his Ferrari through traffic on Arizona's I-10 highway yesterday. #I17 #phxtraffic https://t.co/oWU4Sp1zp0, UPDATE: All lanes now open on I-17 SB at 7th Avenue. East of Corning, the alignment of legislative Route 4 ran along the Great Bend and Bath Turnpike, and more closely resembled the modern alignments of the Southern Tier Expressway and the Quickway. Caltrans operates and maintains a network of 16 traffic cameras at highway locations throughout Santa Cruz County. Someone at work just told me that in the "old days," Highway 17 didn't have a concrete barrier separating the two directions of traffic flow. Figure 1. I-86 and NY 17 continue eastward through the Southern Tier, encountering NY 426 (exit 4) a short distance from the state line prior to meeting NY 76 (exit 6) south of Sherman. Eventually, the entire east–west portion of NY 17 from the Pennsylvania border to Woodbury will become I-86 as projects to upgrade the route to Interstate Highway standards are completed. Links may open in a new window. [48] This will include the construction of a new ramp from NY 17 westbound to Harriman Drive, the expansion of NY 17 westbound from two to three lanes, and the relocation of exit 125 on NY 17 westbound 4,000 feet (1,200 m) farther away from exit 124. Between the two rivers, which intersect in Pennsylvania, the general corridor runs just north of the state line in New York. This is a part of Governor Andrew Cuomo's goal to convert the entirety of the New York Thruway to cashless tolling. As it proceeds across the state, it intersects many of New York's Interstate and U.S. It serves 11 counties (Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany, Steuben, Chemung, Tioga, Broome, Delaware, Sullivan, Orange, and Rockland), passes through the cities of Salamanca, Olean, Corning, Elmira, and Binghamton, and enters the vicinity of several others, including Jamestown and Middletown. Traffic and Road Conditions Pages. VDOT summary traffic data is also available as a Feature Service or separately as a Spreadsheet, KML, Shapefile or File Geodatabase. Between exits 17 and 18 (NY 280), I-86 and NY 17 cross the Allegheny Reservoir near its northernmost extent. New York State Route 17 (NY 17) is a major state highway that extends for 397 miles (638.91 km) through the Southern Tier and Downstate regions of New York in the United States. Cashless tolling began on the night of September 27, 2018. Stationary traffic on NY-17A/CR-106 (NY-17) from CR-72/Sterling Mine Rd (NY-17) to NY-17. It initially became a local road upon crossing into New Jersey;[19] however, Route 2 was realigned c. 1933 to connect to NY 339 instead of NY 17. NY 17 heads southwest from the Quickway as an at-grade roadway, passing through the village of Woodbury before entering the village of Harriman, where it intersects with the eastern terminus of NY 17M. Commute Patterns. Born and raised in Los Gatos and the mountains next to 17 and I can personally vouch for the inherent danger. [25][26] As more sections of the freeway—known as the Quickway—opened up during the 1950s and 1960s, NY 17 was moved onto them. All rights reserved. © Copyright 2020, VDOT. Statewide Weekly Average Traffic Volumes . Merlin Entertainments, the parent company of Legoland, and their contractor, Servidone Construction of Castleton-on-Hudson, has partnered with NYSDOT to construct a new exit 125 in conjunction with the creation of Legoland New York, located at Harriman Drive in Goshen. [20] In the mid-1930s, the alignments of NY 17 and NY 339 south of Ramapo were flipped, placing NY 17 on the western route. I did a San Francisco-Santa Clara commute (work was in Santa Clara) for a few months and it was pretty tiring even though traffic wasn't too bad. South of the junction, NY 17 leaves the Park and proceeds through a lightly populated area to the Village of Tuxedo Park. The highway and parallel NYO&W pass south over a summit to Liberty (exits 99–100), and continue along the Middle Mongaup River to Ferndale (exit 101). I think this post alone, from the second thread, should be required reading for anyone who considers this commute: Is commuting from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Santa Clara reasonable...or am I just insane? When I think about my ten years of commuting over 17 (occasionally), it is night fog that fills me with dread. [16] Lastly, NY 17 broke from the path of legislative Route 4 in Harriman and followed the former Route 39-b south to the New Jersey state line at Suffern. [17] In the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York, NY 17 basically remained intact. Read More, Donny's family says he was a go-to guy for his community. Less than 5 would definately be better. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) conducts a program where traffic data are gathered from sensors in or along streets and highways and other sources. At Olean, the route shifted northward, passing through Hinsdale, Friendship, and Belvidere on current NY 16, NY 446 and Allegany County's CR 20 before returning southward on what is now NY 19 to access the village of Wellsville. [35][36], On December 3, 1999, the westernmost 177 miles (284.85 km) of NY 17 were designated as part of I-86,[37] a new route that had been written into law a year earlier. The Traffic Data Viewer (TDV) is an interactive map that allows users to access traffic data information. [9] Today, the road is designated US 11 from Pennsylvania to Binghamton, then NY 17C to Waverly, NY 352 into Corning, and NY 415 to Bath. I've never lived there so I don't know if it will be worth it for me. Two of NY 17's suffixed routes, NY 17C and NY 17M, follow substantial portions of NY 17's pre-freeway alignment. By 1932, an alternate route of NY 17 between the New Jersey state line at Hillburn and the hamlet of Ramapo on the western bank of the Ramapo River was designated as NY 339. While inside the park, NY 17 intersects Arden Valley Road, a highway that connects to Seven Lakes Drive deep inside the park. California Highway 17 from Scotts Valley to/from Los Gatos current road conditions, accident/incident information, traffic, lane closures, traffic cameras and weather for commuters. [18], NY 17 initially reached New Jersey by way of Suffern's Orange Avenue (now US 202) and connected to New Jersey's Route 2 at the state line. [11][12], From Wellsville to Andover and from Jasper to Corning, Route 4 followed modern NY 417. Stay updated with real-time traffic maps and freeway trip times. Note: Some of the formats provided require the use of specialized GIS software. Interstate 17 Live Traffic, Construction and Accident Report, This Interstate highway goes from Phoenix, Arizona (I-10) to Flagstaff, Arizona (AZ-89A). The road serves some of the most populated areas of the country and includes several toll roads. They follow the Chemung River to exit 60 (US 220 in South Waverly, Pennsylvania) and the Susquehanna River from east of exit 61 (Waverly, New York) to Binghamton; on the latter section, both NY 17C and NY 434 are old NY 17.