Why? When following a ketogenic diet, the type of fat used is an important consideration, not only because certain fats have healthier systemic effects than others, but because certain fats are better suited for helping the body stay in a ketogenic state. This is the healthiest form of sunflower oil and used in our keto fat bomb as omega-9 fats are high in monounsaturated fats and low in polyunsaturated fats. A more recent double-blind crossover study, published in the Journal of Nutrition 2019, found no difference in the total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, or triglycerides of 119 patients who consumed high-oleic canola oil and regular canola oil during different six-week intervals. High Oleic Sunflower Oil Favorably Impacts Health: Summary: A diet rich in high-oleic-acid sunflower oil favorably alters low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, and factor VII coagulant activity. I believe he had a friend who was able to lab test his available supply - and he was able to choose the best available. High oleic oil is any oil that is high in monounsaturated fats. Dangerous or Helpful? Many of the negative health effects of sunflower oil are taking into account the profiles of oils other than the high oleic type. Is Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Keto Friendly. It is known to directly cause cellular insulin resistance and promote weight gain. Price Foundation, has approved it It is also milder than olive oil so works very well if you are sensitive to the strong bite of the EVOO. Still, nothing remarkable popped out. One solution would be to breed varieties of common vegetable oil crops, like soybean and sunflower, to produce more stable MUFAs and less PUFAs. I’ll have to review the usual ones to find it for you. Sesame oil is composed of an equal amount of MUFAs and PUFAs. It’s made by cold pressing the pulp of avocados. An interesting thing about this oil is that despite its high omega-6 fatty acid content, it isn’t prone to rancidity thanks to its many antioxidants. In fact, the FDA has created a claim stating that daily consumption of oils high in oleic acid, when replaced for fats higher in saturated fat, may help reduce the risk of heart disease. They’re found in lots of products now – so join me as I break down the efficacy of them! The short answer is that high-oleic are probably nutritionally superior to their high-PUFA equivalents but not healthy as oils that are naturally high in oleic acid, like olive oil. High-Oleic Sunflower Oil. Oleic acid is the most common omega-9 fatty acid and the most common monounsaturated fat in the diet. However, it is also easy to make at home by clarifying butter. Required fields are marked *. Olive oil) rich in oleic acid more than “High-Oleic” oils more than high-PUFA equivalents. From 11/24/19 (213 lbs) to today (2/29/20 - 182 lbs): I did/am doing protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) which is still considered a keto type diet since it puts you in ketosis. Any product that you see on my channel is a product that I also use personally, regardless of any paid promotion. It is therefore, acceptable on a low carb diet. The 7 oils listed here are rich in healthful fats, important nutrients, and antioxidants. Does anyone have any contrasting or supporting information? 18:1 omega-9 fatty acid. http://breaknutrition.com/omega-6-fats-alternative-hypothesis-diseases-civilization/. However, you should distinguish between light sesame oil, which is mainly used for cooking and dark sesame oil only used for flavoring. Natural oils (e.g. Has anyone tried high oleic sunflower oil? Keep in mind that butter has a smoke point of around 350 F, so it won’t be suitable with high temperatures. "Good" or "bad" need to have some context for comparison. How To Consume It. Both linoleic acid and oleic acid found in sunflower oil provide the body with energy and are important fats in the ketogenic diet. From 11/24/19 (213 lbs) to today (2/29/20 - 182 lbs): I did/am doing protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) which is still considered a keto type diet since it puts you in ketosis. This particular type of coffee from Kiss My Keto is great because it contains a blend of MCT 8 and MCT 10 oils (plus delicious chocolate flavor). That’s why I like to have a stack of keto-friendly coffee on hand. Interesting Facts to Know about Sunflower Oil, Top 20 Best Crunchy Keto-Friendly Snacks: Detailed Reviews, Top 14 Best Keto-Friendly Store-Bought Tortillas: Detailed Reviews. Findings: Substitution of foods rich in saturated fat with foods rich in high-oleic-acid sunflower oil and margarine has favorable outcomes on blood lipids and factor VIIc. Having shared the above, I must note there are surprisingly few studies comparing high-oleic oils to their high-PUFA equivalents. So, coconut oil can be an affordable and convenient alternative to MCT oil. There is much debate over whether or not sunflower oil is healthy in general, and particularly over whether or not it’s healthy for keto dieters. The FDA are of a similar opinion. What’s hard for me is sticking to keto when I’m on the go and don’t have time to cook. Click Here to Subscribe: What’s Motivating the Rise in High-Oleic Oils. The British Journal of Nutrition 2001 published a rat study that showed olive oil (and probably not even good olive oil) was more effective than high-oleic sunflower oil at improving high blood pressure, likely owing to the polyphenol content of olive oil. The quality and composition of the sunflower oil you choose makes a huge difference on the way it’s processed and affects your health. Let’s have some fun with this one! However, it is at the utmost importance to choose the high-oleic type. Besides heart-healthy fats, EVOO is rich in antioxidants and vitamin E, both of which contribute to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Keto coffee is believed to help increase ketone production from the added fat while providing a steady energy surge thanks to the caffeine. Don’t confuse this with alpha-linoleic acid, or omega-3. Sunflower seed oil has 0 carbs. It is known to directly cause cellular insulin resistance and promote weight gain. Studies show that grass-fed butter is higher in important omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, and antioxidants than conventional butter. MUFAs are anti-inflammatory fats that help boost ketone production. As a cooking oil, avocado oil is similar to olive oil. Still doing keto+paleo/prinal, but somewhat higher protein and less fat. Price Foundation, has approved it It is also milder than olive oil so works very well if you are sensitive to the strong bite of the EVOO. However: Sunflower seed oil is pure liquid evil. Keep in mind, though, that avocado oil is both expensive and difficult to find. It also contains 20-25% Mid-oleic acids; mono-saturated fat (MUFA,) and 10-15% Palmitic acids; saturated Fatty Acids (SFA.) Namely, it is high in MUFAs, vitamin E, and antioxidants. Dr Phinney ( ) prefers a high oleic Safflower oil. They state that there is, “supportive but not conclusive scientific evidence suggests that daily consumption of about 1½ tablespoons (20g) of oils containing high levels of oleic acid [at least 70%], may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.” This is called a “qualified,” rather than an “authorized” health claim. About the same as canola/rapeseed oil. Sunflower oil is not keto, and its unrefined counterpart lacks polyphenols and vitamin E. People on a keto diet need fewer intakes of carbohydrates and fat to curb weight gain. Most of the images displayed are of unknown origin. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. Why it’s not keto? Reduced inflammation – Lower levels of inflammation is just one benefit to using monounsaturated fats, such as those in oleic acid. Sunflower oil* Cottonseed oil; Canola oil; Vegetable oil; Grapeseed oil; Rice bran oil *The high-oleic version of this oil is good for keto, but the regular variety is not. The oxidized lipids created may interact with free radicals, leading to the formation of arterial plaques. EVOO is best used for sautéing, making vinaigrettes, oven-baking, low-temperature frying. Butter is rich in saturated fats but also MUFAs, carotenes, and vitamin B12. Get my Free Newsletter and Downloadable Cheatsheets (eating out, travel, etc): Follow More of My Daily Life on Instagram: Special Thanks to my team and Nicholas Norwitz – Oxford PhD Researcher and Harvard Med Student – for working diligently on research as well! For example, olive oil contains 36 powerful antioxidants that GMO high-oleic oils do not. It is 60% linoleic acid - the stuff used to varnish wood to make it weather resistant. I’m not sure how they cold press the oil out of the seeds. The chief culprit is omega-6. These ingredients help add healthy fats to your meals to help you achieve ketosis, but they also come with many other added health benefits. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates. Manufacturers hydrogenate the sunflower oil and turn it into solid or semi-solid form even at room temperature. He mentioned it in a lecture. 4. I would prefer cold pressed olive or avocado oil for cold applications. Sunflower oil is a healthy oil to consume, especially for individuals following a ketogenic diet. Here’s The Video Description From YouTube. Dangerous or Helpful. Does Dr. Phinney have any data regarding the omega 3:6 ration of the polyunsaturates in high oleic Safflower Oil? However, this doesn’t mean that there are many benefits to consuming it. This is the healthiest form of sunflower oil and used in our keto fat bomb as omega-9 fats are high in monounsaturated fats and low in polyunsaturated fats. Some, like coconut oil, will also contain MCTs which are great for energy! Here are some quick facts about high oleic (canola, sunflower, corn) oil: What is “high oleic” oil? Sunflower Oil Substitutes: We recommend you to consume olive oil as an ideal substitute for sunflower oil in your keto diet. The omega-6 fatty acid content of sunflower is 60-65% of Linoleic acids that can cause heart diseases. We have two farms here in WI that are producing cold pressed, organic, high oleic Sunflower Oil. It is also flavorful because it is cold-pressed and unrefined, although there are refined versions of this oil to help increase its shelf life and heat stability. /r/keto is place to share thoughts, ideas, benefits, and experiences around eating within a Ketogenic lifestyle. Another difference between high-oleic sunflower oil and conventional sunflower oil is that the former can be cold-pressed, and some brands are completely unrefined. Natural organic cold pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil. We spoke to Dr Peter Ballerstedt last night for an upcoming podcast … on just this topic. Sally Fallon, from the Weston A. Compared to something like "vegetable oil", it's probably a lot healthier and less inflammatory. It is because of brands like this that we are able to provide the content that we do for free. And while it’s important to get plenty of omega-6 in your diet, getting too much without enough omega-3 can have a damaging effect. In general, a sunflower is not suitable for people on keto-diet. Sally Fallon, from the Weston A. Dr. Phinney says that it is OK to use High Oleic Safflower oil, so I'd guess that High Oleic Sunflower oil would work as well. High oleic-sunflower oil is rich in polyunsaturated fats which have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, and increase energy expenditure, which are all important for those entering into, or staying in ketosis. High oleic sunflower oil is superior to others. 2) High-oleic sunflower oil: This version might be considered the healthiest choice, since it contains at least 80% MUFA as oleic acid, and not much linoleic acid[*]. Consult with your own doctor for information and advice on your specific questions. Although there are some heart health benefits to consuming these fats, excess omega-6 intake leads to higher levels of inflammation. And speaking of antioxidants, studies found that these compounds in sesame oil provide anti-inflammatory and disease-fighting benefits. startdietplan.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.