Profess my love for Scripture and the Holy Trinity by adding my personal opinion, an opinion rooted in Scripture and love. To Him the actions of all hands and the secrets of all souls are intimately known. That we use it to the most obstinate, to arouse their consciences and convict them of sin.7. He is the life, He has life in Himself, and He came to quicken and to give us life abundantly. 2. From this stern apostle and word turn we now to our gracious High-Priest. We should be induced to employ the most zealous efforts for the circulation of the Divine Word by means of printed copies, and the support of Christian ministrations, both at home and abroad. 1. We now inquire, what is the meaning of the Word of God giving life. 3. A man may wash in pure water of ritualism, and religion, but he will only continue to contaminate himself and his religion. how often, "Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name."IV. Who is able to stand before this might, Word? 2. The Epistle from which the texts come carries us beyond this vaguer and more general Divine utterance to another of which the very "differentia" is the personality. For the truth suggested see Proverbs 15:11; “I try the reins,” Jeremiah 17:10; Psalms 51:6; Proverbs 20:27, “the candle of the Lord searching all the inner parts of the belly.”. How ought we then to estimate it?2. The Word of God enters into my inmost soul and heart-life, and as a judge both unveils and condemns; what hitherto was hidden, is uncovered; what was disguised, unveiled; what was falsely called good and spiritual, appears now in the bright light of God's countenance; the thoughts and intents of the hearts are discerned. Divine.2. These phrases, though their general meaning is clear, have been variously explained. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. Doctors say of certain drugs that they are inert — they have no effect upon the system one way or the other. He beholds them without any covering or disguise. Hebrews 11:23, the nominative case is to be understood: By faith the parents of Moses concealed Moses. )Watched by GodC. "Sir," said a poor maniac, that had escaped from bedlam, and was passing along the streets of London, to a gentleman he met at the angle of one of the streets, "did you ever thank God for reason?" (Preacher's Promptuary of Anecdote. He seems to have nothing at his disposal by which the pretensions of Christianity may be substantiated. All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. in Manasseh, when, of the most horrible idolator that was ever heard of, it made him a zealous worshipper Of the true God? See Romans 8:39. that, &c. Literally not manifested. In any operation even the women sit unmoved. Universal anarchy, chaos, and desolation.V. )The Word self-revealingM. If we want to discriminate at any time between the soul and the spirit, and the joints and marrow, let us go to the Word of God for discrimination. For Jesus Christ is not given for wisdom, but made unto us wisdom. It is doing what all the philosophy in the world could never do. Thus it is that the Word of God, as it at last reaches the spirit and soul of the man, is the net result of a thousand separate sayings, no one of which by itself is the absolute arbiter of the being. "Oh!" We have all of us to do with God as SAVIOUR — "a just God and a Saviour." A. She already knew good because she was in the presence of the Almighty God, it was evil that she lacked in knowledge, understanding, and experience. The characteristics of the Divine Word as given in the text, which we have endeavoured to illustrate, should induce the individual inquiry, What am I doing to obstruct or to sustain its influence in my own soul? (Colossians 3:4). REFLECTIONS.1. Bodies which lie on the belly are scarcely considered naked, for they cover themselves: those lying on their back are laid open to the view in all their noblest and most distinguishing parts. REFLECTIONS.1. A remarkable argument for the truth of religion from its efficacy.— τετραχηλισμένα) τραχηλίζω, I throw one on his back, is used in Greek and Latin for I lay open. The first of these interpretations is on the whole the more probable, the words being addressed to Jews who were more familiar with sacrifices than with the games. The phrase "all things" indicates the universal range which the eye of Jehovah takes. I wish to be found in Him. (Genesis 3:11) In the answer of the Lord to Satan, He took away the power of the world, the flesh, and the devil. St. Paul in Ephesians 6. speaks of "the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God." But in their books it means only the air we breathe. It opens a man to himself, so that he may know himself in his moral actions and accountability.4. That we come to it for cutting force to kill our own sins and to help us in destroying the evils of the day. What haste do we make to explain, to excuse, to apologise for, to daub with obtrusive whitewash, our little dubious acts, our little unfortunate speeches. The conversation is not between two equals, either of whom must contribute his share to the instruction and enjoyment of the meeting. . There is the same expression in Chrysostom, περὶ ἱερως., p. 336, αἱ θυγατέρες τῶν ἱερέων, αἷς οὐδεὶς τρὸς τὴν ἱερωσύνην λόγος, the daughters of the priests, who have nothing to do with the priesthood. THE CONCLUSIONS TO BE DRAWN FROM THESE STATEMENTS. She said, "I shall sell it." All things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. The conversation is not between two equals, either of whom must contribute his share to the instruction and enjoyment of the meeting. in Zaccheus, when it made him to forsake his oppression and to restore fourfold? (Romans 7:15). What pains do we take to please, to give satisfaction, to win applause, to be admired if it may be so, at all events to avoid censure one of another. I believe, therefore, that God laid on His own Son " the iniquity of us all." Let us not forfeit it, as one whole generation forfeited Canaan, by unbelief. There are the hidden flowers of humility, of forgiving love, of patience and meekness; there are the unseen and unknown daily conflicts and victories; there is the crucifixion of the old man, and the constant renewal of the resurrection-life; and these are especially the triumphs of the power of the Word. The Word of God is a personal word — it speaks to the personal being, as God made and as God sees him. "You forgot to look up to the sky to see if God was noticing you " The father felt this reproof of the child so much, that he left the corn, returned home, and never again ventured to steal, remembering the truth his child had taught him, that the eye of God always beholds us.God seeing all thingsW. He would often go to this window with a powerful telescope, and about five minutes every day he would spend in this way, examining what his work people were doing, and whether the work of the farm was being carried on properly or not. Arvine.The celebrated Linnaeus always testified, in his conversations, writings, and actions, the greatest sense of God's omniscience; yea, he was so strongly impressed with the idea that he wrote over the door of his library, Innocui vivite, Numen adest — "Live innocently, God is present."(K. "(Pasteur Hirsch. David said of that, none to it; but none to this. On the contrary, it is a trumpet call to decision. we have to do with Him as our LAWGIVER. There are many such words. (13) In his sight.—Still the proper subject is “the word of God”; but, as explained above, it has assumed the meaning, God speaking and present in His word. The characteristics of the Divine Word as given in the text, which we have endeavoured to illustrate, should induce the individual inquiry, What am I doing to obstruct or to sustain its influence in my own soul? Then how sweet to have to do with Him as our SANCTIFIER — Our portion for ever; our Sanctifier, restoring us from the ruins of our fallen race, and raising us again to be a temple meet for His own habitation; beautifying us with grace that shines in the Adam here, and that will shine more brightly in the Second Adam. Take up any other book except the Bible, and there may be a measure of power in it, but there is not that indescribable vitality in it which breathes, and speaks, and pleads, and conquers in the case of this sacred volume. When health is used up, money used up, and sound human senses used up, Christianity begins."(C. It says, there is a word of God somewhere. The living Word is powerful or energetic. )God is presentK. "Unto Him our word is." The Word cannot be living and energetic without being also a sword, dividing and separating, with piercing and often painful sharpness, that which in our natural state lies together mixed and confused. "Unto Him our word is." I turned to the word of God, the answer was simple, the Lord said, I have far better food for you now in the word of God. We have to do with God as our RULER AND GOVERNOR. It is greatly debated among commentators whether this is to be understood of Christ, the eternal Word, or of the gospel. It cuts like a sword whetted on each side of the blade, piercing through to the place where the natural life of the soul divides from, or passes into, the supernatural life of the spirit.