I had never been a widow before and needed the freedom to be a true learner—even a struggling learner. -- Monsell. The purposes of God often develop slowly because His grand designs are never hurried. That you're preoccupied with the trinkets of this passing world? "Sally, if you don't eat your potatoes, you won't get any dessert!". No one is too old to serve God. Every time you offer your prayer and sing your hymms ye are joining with the spirits of the perfected just, with numberless holy angels, and with vast multitudes in heaven and on earth who are ever adoring Christ. When my husband was a child, his mother sometimes scolded and disciplined him for disobeying her. The hardest thing is that most of us are called to exercise our patience, not in the sickbed but in the street." —Crandlemire, God's hand of discipline is a hand of love. Those who use the road can enjoy a smooth and beautiful ride over difficult terrain. Within 2 months, John Landy eclipsed the record by 1.4 seconds. Therefore, "let us lay aside every weight, and … run with endurance the race that is set before us" (Heb. How are you responding to life's difficulties? What will strengthen us to remain faithful when tempted to quit some God-assigned post before our Lord properly relieves us? —D. One battle is fought, but a yet stronger foe bars the way immediately in front. Praise God, the church is indestructible! In The Complete Disciple, Paul W. Powell describes a picture of a rugged wagon train painted by a famous artist of the American West. A farmer is portrayed skillfully plowing the ground, planting his crops, and threshing the harvest. It will be worth it all when we see Jesus. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God. As more sand went over the side, the craft ascended higher. Some individual churches may go out of existence, but the "gates of Hades" will never prevail against the church that Jesus is building. The Lord immediately began rebuilding me, applying truths from His Word to teach me trust and faith. The crew loaded their two sailing ships with a lot of things they didn't need: a 1,200-volume library, fine china, crystal goblets, and sterling silverware for each officer with his initials engraved on the handles. That's why He often withholds success until we have learned patience. OUR DAILY BREAD, et. The chief executive of a large and successful chain of stores made a striking statement about the future of his company. 12:3). We. But why should this exhortation be needed? We think of it as the angel that guards the couch of the invalid. AMEN. But God's discipline is the very thing that will save us from the ruin of our selfish, stubborn ways. On the marker is a man's name and this inscription: He died climbing. In the hand of the Friend who loves at all times; and who is a Brother born for adversity. and displaying His unutterable love! I am told that a really severe earthquake is a fearful experience. —David C. McCasland. Jesus has engaged that he shall not be defeated; for the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong; but the lame take the prey; and not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Hebrews 12:8-10 The Passion Translation. So he stayed on duty day and night even when it rained heavily. Hebrews 12:1 and 1 John 2:15 express that same spiritual truth. But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. As we stay true to the Lord, we will keep heading toward our goal. There was an absolute necessity for it, for He does not afflict willingly, nor grieve His redeemed children. And mourn, but not repine. God also disciplines and trains His erring sons and daughters. According to Jesus, this will never happen to His church. Many people are motivated to live for health, wealth, and ease, and they try to avoid pain at all costs. As we recall every sacrifice made on our behalf and every example of spiritual courage, let's determine to keep our eyes on Jesus and to join the parade of faithful veterans of the faith. But because she loved him, she continued his discipline and training. Our Daily Homily). Ye are not the lonely, isolated handful ye suppose. Our sorrows, like the passing keels of the vessels upon the sea, leave a silver line of holy light behind them “afterwards.” It is peace, sweet, deep peace, which follows the horrible turmoil which once reigned in our tormented, guilty souls. ", When we came to Christ in faith, we joined an invisible host of companions, what the writer of Hebrews says is an "innumerable company of angels," and "the general assembly and church of the firstborn" (12:22-23). -- JDB. And when Jesus used the phrase "the gates of Hades," He was referring to death, for Hades is the abode of the dead. While visiting New England, I was presented with a tin of pure Vermont maple syrup. They had swung north a little, then south, but always toward the west. For the Lord corrects and disciplines everyone whom He loves, and He punishes, even scourges, every son whom He accepts and welcomes to His heart and cherishes. Take the proper steps to resolve the problem right away. Somehow I had thought that a person of my spiritual maturity should be beyond such struggle. Sometimes the struggle is exactly what we need to become what God intends us to be.—Joanie Yoder. He craved what would satisfy and please his senses. Sometimes it seems as if God allows circumstances into our lives that are harming us and are without sense or plan. Hebrews 12:1 tells us to “run with endurance” the race set before us. But don't we sometimes do the same? Grudges that we won't let go. We think of it as the angel that guards the couch of the invalid. —Hess. Is it not very easy to hold fast grace? It's difficult to envision such an existence, but what an exciting prospect! They did this out of fear, thinking they would be harmed if they didn't. He therefore decided to copy from memory the massive painting, and repro-duce it in miniature. They were not only the people of Israel but the people of God. When I finally hit rock bottom, the "rock" on which I fell was Jesus Christ. There will come a time when the earth will be shaken, and things that once seemed permanent will be gone (Hebrews 12:27). And in Philippians 3:12-13, the apostle Paul said, "I press on… forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. Help us not to wallow in past failures, but to be disciplined and to shun sinful ways. We may not hear the applause of this world, but we will someday be rewarded in heaven. When Moses stood before God on the Mount, he said: "I exceedingly fear and quake." 12:1) and get busy with the tasks the Lord has for you. He too discovered what it's like to realize suddenly that something of great value has been lost (Genesis 25:29-34). "That Bible was one of the first books ever printed. Someone wrote, “It was as if wings had been given to them—they walked lightly again.” Victory was assured. When the "west wind" blows hard upon you with its punishing intent, God is love.