Thank you! 2. Maybe I should … Thank you! ⇒ He told me he had been illis illwas ill for a couple of weeks. Ann said to him that she wanted to go home. I don't necessarily think the answer is going back to parsing and diagramming sentences, but some basic grammar in the high school curriculum, coupled with just lots and lots of writing (not journal writing, please -- the average high school student does not need to spend even more time focusing on himself), would be positive for all involved. My cousin, an editor, was outraged at the poor grammar, but I couldn't see the problem. ⇒ She said she hadn't donedidn't docouldn't do it without my help.   Putting it all together, you'll then say, “This gift basket is for me and her,” or “This gift basket is for her and me,” the latter which sounds a bit smoother to my ears. He … One hopes that they still take those seriously. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I have just shared this post on Google + and Twitter. I really do appreciate it, especially right now. Is it correct to use a past tense verb before a present tense verb like this? When a person tells us something, he or she uses the first person (I, me, my, we, us, our) to talk about himself or herself and the second person (you, your) to talk about us, the person listening. How to Write a Resume -- Part Two -- What to Put in It, How to Write a Resume - Part Three - Odds and Ends, Marketing Yourself While Painting, Too -- First Steps. Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. I am flying to India tomorrow. GrammarCheck.me uses an advanced, web-based grammar checking engine to power its free online spelling & grammar software. I am not a native speaker and I am just learning english in high school so sorry for my mistakes :D ... but I've read this book and there was written: "It's a secret between he and I." Pallab: I agree, language is fluid. he wasn't coming to the field trip. He said he would call be back next week. After you have edited for content, structure, and quality, move on to proofreading for grammar. Charles -- it's a great explanation, isn't it? I have friend that does this in any sentences that would require "him or her" she uses he or she.........really? Start by temporarily dropping off the He or Him, and see what you have left. However, as with social conventions, there are standards upon which a general consensus agrees, and there's nothing wrong with rules, when they're there for a reason, and when they're not used as whips. It is also usual to shift the tense back in reporting questions in the present perfect. Him and I, or He and I I'm still confused. What are some good sayings for regretting something? This is called reported speech (or indirect speech). It all hinges upon how one chooses to look at the word feel. to talk about the speaker and the first person (I, me, my) to talk about ourselves, the listener. Ah, Carolyn, all of this underscores what I have known in my bones since introduced to grammar as a child. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. The reporter, in relating what John told him, is summarizing what happened to John in the reporter's own words. The meaning is the same, but the grammar is different. My son is taller than me. Please write through our Contact form. By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. It is confusing, because feel can be used in both senses, as an active verb (The nurse feels my pulse) and as a helping one (I feel anxious). Here are the correct ways to use them. Why doesn't a mercury thermometer follow the rules of volume dilatation? If majority of natives start using "Me and him", then that will effectively change the grammar. That being said, your ear for language is working well. The other tricky part is that, as you alluded to earlier, language is a dynamic, evolving entity, so things our parents were absolutely certain of may not necessarily be true for us or our children... Blessings! He and I are subjective pronouns and thus subjects of sentences. Ann said Jack that she was sleepy – INCORRECT      Ann told Jack that she was sleepy – CORRECT We say tell somebody something, and say something (to somebody). Learners who wish to know more are advised to consult a good reference work, such as Collins Cobuild English Grammar, or Swan's Practical English Usage. So, the combination would be: "It's ironic that you and she have gospel roots." Grammar Despair: Quick, simple solutions to problems like, “Do I say him and me or he and I?”. Grammar classes are a nightmare, not the least because many instructors within them can be pedantic, narrow, and tightly focused. A lovely week to you! Grammar Despair: What Is the Difference between There, Their, and They're? I'm glad that this helps, and I am grateful for your sharing this on your social media sites. So sentences such as: He told me he had an accident on the way to work or She said she didn't enjoy the party ("I didn't enjoy the party.") Thank you, Yvonne. Ultimately, what matters is that we speak our mind, and anything that stops us from expressing good words, good truths, is not good -- even proper grammar! How to Use 'Say' and 'Tell' In reported statements, we can use either 'say' or 'tell'.