I use a sweet potato instead of the butternut, as I am more likely to have those on hand and they are easier to peel and to scale down for fewer servings. Hope you enjoy. PREP 10mins         COOK 50mins              TOTAL 1hr          Serves 6 people. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to low. I hope you haven’t given up on me although I’ve been MIA for several months. 1 lemon, sliced. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. This soup is a riff on the Greek avgolemono: a delicious concoction of beaten eggs and lemon juice, whisked into broth and cooked just enough to thicken. because of so many ingredients, which took us awhile to assemble), and it was deelish! ½ tsp. All rights reserved. 2 tablespoons olive oil. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup with Lemon. It really is a pasta and a soup in one — a two’fer. Lebanese Lentil Soup with vegetables soup, 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (2 large carrots). 1 small butternut squash (1 lb.) ), scrubbed and cut into ½-inch dice 2½ tsp. Add the potatoes, spinach and butternut squash, re-cover and cook another 20 minutes, until the potatoes and squash are tender. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. This spinach lentil soup with lemon is a perfect way to use up all of those lentils stockpiled in your pantry. Required fields are marked *. Because lentils pack lots of protein and fiber, they make a great substitute for meat. peeled and cut into ½-inch dice (about 3 cups) 10 cups vegetable broth or water Save this Greek lentil and spinach soup with lemon recipe and more from Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread: A Country Inn Cookbook to your own online .. 10 ounces baby spinach, chopped. 1 large onion, chopped But if you absolutely need your meat fix, this lentil soup recipe pairs well with a quick side of your favorite sausage (I prefer spicy). So now that we’re unpacked and as settled as we can be without going out to do any of the things we need to do, we have time to do some cooking. Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup With Lemon | Food.com. While I borrowed the egg and lemon motif, I also added spinach used orzo instead of the rice. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. 2 ribs celery, with leaves, sliced 10 oz. 10 ounces baby spinach, chopped. https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/02/15/spinach-lentil-soup-recipe I make this soup with lentils, spinach, carrots and fresh lemon whenever I’m in need of some healthy comfort food. I definitely want to try this recipe, Bobbie! dried oregano I also use homemade chicken st… Just before serving, stir the lemon juice into the soup. It’s vegan, gluten-free and low fat too! Quite simply, spinach lentil soup with lemon became my all-time favorite lentil soup especially during quarantine. Hope you enjoy. Serve and add additional fresh squeezed lemon to taste. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to very low and let simmer, partially covered, Uncover the pot and stir in the spinach and cook, uncovered, another 5 minutes. ( Log Out /  cumin seeds Add the celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until they soften, about 3 minutes. Lightly brown the onions, stirring frequently. Greek Lentil & Spinach Soup with Lemon 23 Apr. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/red-lentil-soup-recipe 1 lb. Add the salt and pepper. The only difference is that I substituted spinach with swish chard and left out potatoes. whole coriander seeds Posted in All Recipes, Soups, Vegetarian. Copyright © 2020 The Salt and Sweet Kitchen. it occurred to me that you might enjoy hearing my story: I came across your Greek Lentil and Spinach soup with Lemon recipe in the DAIRY HOLLOW HOUSE .. Vegan, hearty and satisfying one pot meal. olive oil, onions and salt. kosher salt (or more to taste) One last word, this lentil soup is even better the next day! olive oil I also use homemade chicken stock in … March 2020. We just made this rather complex lentil soup (complex because of so many ingredients, which took us awhile to assemble), and it was deelish! May 2020. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine the lentils, stock or water, jalapeno, coriander, cumin, oregano and bay leaves. This brightly flavorful, easy soup from an almost three-decade-old cookbook is so good that …, Your email address will not be published. Add the mixture to the soup; deglaze the pan if necessary with a little of the soup liquid. First we were getting ready to move, and then we moved, and then we got locked down. 2 tsp. In a large, heavy soup pot, combine cleaned lentils, stock (or water), chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, oregano, basil, thyme and bay leaves. This soup has one other curious feature. Hooray! 2 medium potatoes ( 1¼ lb. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Adapted from "The Dairy Hollow House Soup and Bread Cookbook" by the indomitable Crescent Dragonwagon (not her birth name, obviously). May 2020. 2 tsp. 1½ tsp. Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat. It was inspired by my Lebanese Lentil Soup with vegetables soup recipe. I make this soup with lentils, spinach, carrots and fresh lemon whenever I’m in need of some healthy comfort food. Remove and discard lemon slices, as they tend to turn bitter if left for too long. Here is the step-by-step for today's Spicy Spinach Lentil Soup ( Log Out /  Add carrots, cover the pot and cook for additional 15 mins. Hi friends! I hope you haven’t given up on me although I’ve been MIA for several months. It’s vegan, gluten-free and low fat too! Change ). My favorite recipes and tips from many years of cooking — and eating! Quite simply, spinach lentil soup with lemon became my all-time favorite lentil soup especially during quarantine. brown lentils, rinsed and picked over We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup With Lemon recipe by Michelle Garner, is from Family Cookbook, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Hi friends! Find me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates! In a small bowl, mix corn starch and 5 tbsp of warm water together and add to the pot. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. 2 Tbs. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook. Your email address will not be published. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Save this Greek lentil and spinach soup with lemon recipe and more from Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread: A Country Inn Cookbook to your own online .. On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Bobbie’s Best Recipes wrote: > Bobbie posted: ” Hi friends! Looking for more recipes? baby spinach, chopped A light, healthy and flavorful take on lentil soup with spices, wilted greens and fresh lemon juice. This healthy, warming soup is a satisfying vegetarian recipe, but you can use chicken broth or add … Greek-Style Lentil Soup Recipe photo by Taste of Home … I doubled the tomato sauce and spinach and added lemon wedges at the end. Simmer, partly covered, about 30 minutes, until lentils are tender. 1 small butternut squash (1 pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups). 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped I use a sweet potato instead of the butternut, as I am more likely to have those on hand and they are easier to peel and to scale down for fewer servings. ⅓ cup lemon juice Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the onion, stirring, until it starts to soften, about 3 or 4 minutes. freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste) 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped Serve the soup hot, with a lemon slice floating atop each bowl. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. First we were getting ready to move, and > then we moved, and then we got locked down. So now that we’re unpacked and as settled as we can be without going out to do any of the things we need to do, we have time to do some cooking. I love to cook (and eat) and look forward to sharing my fave recipes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, usually about 25 minutes. ( Log Out /  2 bay leaves So now that we’re unpacked and > as settled as we can be without going out to do ” >. 2 tablespoons olive oil. Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup with Lemon. Add lentils and stir with browned onions for 1 minute. ( Log Out /  This spinach lentil soup with lemon is a perfect way to use up all of those lentils stockpiled in your pantry. 1 small butternut squash (1 pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups). Mar 10, 2020 - Adapted from "The Dairy Hollow House Soup and Bread Cookbook" by the indomitable Crescent Dragonwagon (not her birth name, obviously). Roast Chicken with Garlic, Lime and Cranberry Onions, Roasted butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za’atar, A Sunday Twofer: Zucchini-Tomato Salad and Pesto. First we were getting ready to move, and then we moved, and then we got locked down. Tags: butternut, gluten-free, Greek, hearty, kosher, lemon, lentil, low-fat, parve, spinach, vegan. I hope you haven’t given up on me although > I’ve been MIA for several months. Discard the bay leaves. I am a freelance writer and editor who retired after a long career as a nonprofit communicator.