The bread turned out perfect! Kosher salt worked perfectly, and after everything cooled, I tipped it back into the tin. If you've always wanted crusty, hole-ridden, French-style bread, this is it. (it has, overflowing the bowl and way too hard to deal with. Bake at 400° F for 45 minutes or until the crust is a medium dark brown. Thanks so much! Split the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, wrap each one loosely in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days. This straightforward sourdough bread recipe is a staple in our house. I’m looking for a happy medium. Hi.. My second attempt I added an additional 3/4c of flour… Perfect! The Tools I Recommend for Sourdough Breadmaking, It should double in size within 4-6 hours of each feeding, It should be full of bubbles and “grow” up the sides of your jar, If you place a teaspoon of the starter in a cup of cool water, it should float on top of the water. Bog bread eaters around here ? Do you have any idea what may have caused this? ★☆. My dough was a bit wetter than yours, but since I live in a very dry climate, I left it and it turned out perfect. Delicious! (You can learn how to make a sourdough starter in this post through a printable recipe or a video). You could double this to either make a larger loaf, or to make two of this sized loaves. Love the simplicity of this recipe and the flavor was so great. To make the dough: Stir down the starter with a spoon and add the water, yeast, sugar, 3 1/4 cups (390g) of the flour, and the salt. Knead until satiny, between 5 and 10 minutes. If your sourdough starter produces a brown liquid layer (aka the hooch) on the top, mix it back into the starter instead of pouring it off. Whatever your house temp is will be fine. I would love to use your links to support you, thank you for all the help over the years. Spritz water into the oven with a clean plant mister, and place the bread in the oven. Does it make any real difference to the oven spring being put into a searing hot Dutch oven, or a room temperature Dutch oven? Place the lid on the pot and bake for 20 minutes. Copyright © 2020 The Prairie Homestead  •  All rights reserved  •  Site Design by Emily White Designs, Easy Dough Recipe (for Bread, Rolls, Pizza, & More! Use whole-grain flours to feed your starter, since the sour-producing bacterias seems to love them. Jill didn’t preheat her dutch oven for this recipe, but you could if you want to. Typically I split the dough into three parts, wrapping each piece loosely with plastic wrap and then another layer on the other side so that when the dough expands in the fridge (and it WILL! It was just a gooey blob that couldn’t possibly be folded into shape. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I worry that left to it’s own devices, it will overproof. Jill, it would be helpful if you could speak to the timing of feeding the sourdough starter to be active when you want to start making the dough. Slash or cross-hatch the bread with a sharp knife or lame. Be the first to rate and review this recipe. This is a homestead-version of sourdough bread, which is a non-fussy technique that will not require complicated measurements or instructions. ), Before you can successfully make sourdough bread, you will need an active and healthy sourdough starter. Help? It had a good crust and was so nice and sour! The dough should form a ball around the dough hook. Bake at 400 F. for 9 minutes. Fold it over a couple of times to tighten it into a ball, then let sit for 15 minutes. —>). https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-french-bread-recipe-428154 Store bread, loosely wrapped in paper, for a couple of days at room temperature; wrap it in plastic and freeze for longer storage. When sourdough bread dough doesn’t rise, it’s usually because the starter you used wasn’t active enough. Dough handles better once it's had time for the flour to absorb the water while resting and relaxing. You can make sourdough bread with many different types of flour, however, if you’re brand new to sourdough, I recommend using all-purpose flour. In case you’re a visual learner like I am, here is the entire step-by-step process caught on video. Will keep you posted and will purchase a kitchen thermometer! Easy, once you get the hang of handling, stretching and folding the dough. Overnight it rises and looks and smells wonderful. "You could make this bread, and no other, for the rest of your baking career, and never feel cheated," they write. One thing… I too had no cornmeal to keep the bottom from burning and my blender was not enthused about having to chew up popcorn kernels. I am a total newbie to this whole sourdough thing but am determined to make a loaf. So glad this recipe encouraged you to go for it and make your own sourdough bread. Thanks for virtually holding my hand through the Dutch oven method. ★☆ Gently place the ball(s) of dough on the baking sheet, seam-side down. I adapted this from a regular white French roll recipe. You also don’t really knead sourdough– instead you’ll bring it together with a spoon until it’s mostly combined and then ignore it. A proofing basket helps support the shape of the sourdough loaf during the final rise before baking. I followed the recipe just so, and was able to turn out a lovely loaf. I’ve tried your recipe twice now. 3) I decided to peel off the “crust”and put it back in for another rising attempt. This is a super handy little tool that can help you get scrape the dough out of the original large bowl without deflating it and ruining those precious air bubbles in the dough. In the European tradition, good sourdough bread is bien cuit (‘well done’ in French)—dark, crusty, and just short of burnt. I love the timeline – feed the starter in the AM of day 1, start the bread PM of day 1, finish the bread AM-noon on day 2, just in time to have with lunch! Cover with a cloth, set in warm place and let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size. Give it time to adjust! Since it rises overnight (and has the potentially to rise considerably depending on how active your starter is), you’ll want to use a bowl that’s tall enough to avoid overflowing and the subsequent mess. Hello. I tried taking the temp of the oven after I found it like that and it read about 77 degrees. It’s a good one and it’s now my go-to. After the long ride (8 hours) my dough has a “skin” on it. After this resting time is complete, stretch and fold the dough a few times to form it into a ball. 6. This starter is a fermented food that can be used to make tasty sourdough bread, sourdough cinnamon rolls, sourdough brownies, and more. It is lovely every time and I can barely keep it from being consumed before I can let it cool.