This impacted my instruction by giving me such valuable formative assessment information with a simple, non-threatening prompt. This impacted my instruction by being sure to have the discussion that fractions can represent parts of a whole, but we can also represent whole numbers with fractions.”. Formative is a web-app for classrooms that allows teachers to give live assignments to students, allowing instant teaching adjustments and long-term student growth tracking. Yes. This impacted my instruction by being sure to have the discussion that fractions can represent parts of a whole, but we can also represent whole numbers with fractions.”, Thinking Through Asynchronous Assessments, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Asking smart, higher-order questions is a key component to successful formative assessment, as well as a near-requirement for the Common Core State Standards, and one practice that helps better engage students. In three easy steps, you will have that professional exam you always wanted to give: Step 1: Create your testsStep 2: Assign your tests using public or private optionsStep 3: Analyze results. We work with students and seek to use the data derived from formative assessments to help the student master the curriculum and help the student identify his/her strengths and weaknesses. Quizlet offers free online study tools that lets educators create study sets in a form of flashcards which are aimed at helping students learn material. Testmoz is free, and does not require you (or your students) to register. This can be accessed with Microsoft Excel as soon as they have been ‘submitted’. “Gathering evidence of student thinking” is indeed a great way of thinking about assessment. My favorite set-up is to do the “single choice” series with a segmentation of the results at the end. I was excited to see that they could be so flexible in their arguments as to why they felt as they did. Disadvantage: Progress tracking is a paid option and there is no option for open-ended response. Highlight: One feature that I love most is Quizlet Live, which is an in-class, team-based learning game. Simply follow these steps and you can start testing immediately. The students love these two programs. I am also reminded that I need to stress that students must consider the whole in order to make comparisons accurately.”, Earlier in their fraction unit, the third grade teachers used the talking point below to hear how her students were talking about fractions. On your screen you will see the responses formed into a dynamic Word Cloud. Live function makes it possible for students to participate in a competitive vocabulary review game against their classmates from any device. not raising their hand as a means of “tuning out”, near-requirement for the Common Core State Standards, 19 formative assessment strategies for online teaching, A step-by-step guide for using stress- and trauma-sensitive practices in your classroom, How to use goal setting to carve a new path for student growth this fall. Formative assessment tools are a great way to measure a student’s performance before, during, and throughout the instruction process. Mentimeter allows you to engage the audience better. This is such a useful list tbh. create 4 different types of questions: true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blank and select all that apply. My kids love the competitive element of Quizlet Live. Thank you. Change ). The first team to match 12 in a row wins! Disadvantage: Limited to multiple-choice questions and only four possible answers. ( Log Out /  More specifically, Crooks (citing Barak Rosenshine and Robert Stevens in 1986) suggested that the use of questions to actively engage a high percentage of students may explain the positive relationship that is generally found between increased use of classroom questioning and student achievement. Download Tongue Twisters (61238 downloads), Download Visual Puzzles (26593 downloads), Download 6 Thinking Hats (24273 downloads), Download Vocabulary BINGO (20992 downloads), Download Categories Guessing Game (15107 downloads), Download BINGO Cards Template (14626 downloads), 11 Useful Formative Assessment Tools for Teachers. Kids are able to compete against their friends, discuss sets, and entire classes can share teacher-created sets. You can also download your survey results. What is FlipGrid and what activities can you do with it? Going forward, I want to create opportunities that push and challenge my student’s thinking. However, you can only create up to 2 questions per presentation. ( Log Out /  Disadvantage: As a free user, you can create infinite number of presentations. Love your stuff…as always. I want them to continue to question and explore math – especially when it uses the word “always.”, Another teacher who taught the same activity after watching it in action in another classroom said, “I learned that almost half of my students assumed they were comparing the same size wholes. What makes this tool different is that you can upload existing assignments from PDFs, Word, and Google Docs, and add interactive pieces to them which means that much of your existing best lessons and resources can find new life in a digital format! Another way to involve students is by using formative assessment strategies that essentially eliminate hand-raising. Pictures, diagrams, and maps can be added to questions. You can truly see who understands a concept and who does not in a way that is non obtrusive to students identities or stressful for students. Students can use any device with a browser to join the game and you get all the data both for individual students or the class as a whole! There is often a very appealing aha-effect from seeing the results displayed like this in real-time. Hence, the immense disconnect. Assessment always seems to be such a broad, hot topic  There are rubrics to help create assessments, rubrics for reviewing assessments, and tons of reading about the benefit of assessments. It provides quick, real-time results and give students instant feedback on their devices without anyone being called out individually. It is a polling tool wherein you can set the questions and your target audience can give their input using a mobile phone or any other device connected to the Internet. Highlight: Kahoot can quickly become a go-to for teachers looking for an engaging way to run checks for understanding or exit tickets. Please use the detailed rubric provided when completing this survey. SOMETHING INTERESTING: ESL WARM UP ACTIVITIES WITH POWERPOINT. The teacher mentioned in the blog said, “I was surprised by how quick many of the students defended their responses that 1/2 will always be greater than 1/3, and then proving this response using visual representation of the same whole ( which is an idea that we have made explicit). Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. This passage from NCTM’s Principles to Action really captures how I feel about the work we are doing in our Learning Labs: In this most recent Learning Lab in 3rd grade, we planned the activity together using the 5 Practices model and reflected after the lesson. I am also reminded that I need to stress that students must consider the whole in order to make comparisons accurately.”.