Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. ‘while’ is an ambiguous word; it can mean ‘at the same time as’ or it can mean ‘on the other hand’. A good question and one that shows why using commas in front of conjunctions can be confusing. An assertive attitude is important, that will keep you busy for a while. 3. These cookies do not store any personal information. There's plenty of business here to keep us all busy for a while". Being a terminologist, I care about word choice. I decided to take a nap under my desk while everyone else was in the meeting. Examples of while at in a sentence: 1. The comma should go between the things that are happening at the same time. After working for the café for a while, the waitress felt she needed a more permeant job. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. So after a while he gambled. Examples: Awhile and A While in Sentences. When time is a mass noun, like in the first sentence, you can drop the article: "this process takes time" (or "this process takes money" or "this process takes guts"). Tone vs. The price of eggs is rising, while the price of milk has stayed the same. , After working for the café for a while, the waitress felt she needed a more permeant job. Use a comma before while in the middle of a sentence when you mean “whereas” or “although.”. While at the table all were very attentive to him. When while is used as a conjunction, it has two meanings. The kids swam for a while, but soon tired of playing in the water and headed indoors. 2. Ludwig is the first sentence search engine that helps you write better English by giving you contextualized examples taken from reliable sources. P.IVA 06333200829 REA PA-314445, There's plenty of business here to keep us all, An assertive attitude is important, that will keep you, 11.23pm: These cables are going to keep British politics junkies, Meanwhile, their plans for some interior changes will keep them. , It had been a while since the best friends had seen each other. While my sister prefers key lime pie, I prefer chocolate cake. For a while he slumbered. The other meaning of while indicates a contrast. Put it at the end of the clause that while introduces. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. , $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["45ba4f61-76ac-4b3d-94d4-c9019d2ebe3c"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["418b1e7b-a189-47b4-952a-43e52a926ad5"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["9b588b9a-598a-47f4-bc83-ba2fd303e5df"]); }). In this sense, it means “whereas” or “although.”. Put it at the end of the clause that while introduces. Don’t use a comma before while when you’re talking about two things happening at the same time. This may keep you busy for a while, but that's what we want, isn't it? While the price of milk has stayed the same, the price of eggs is rising. All of the above are correct. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience.