Some native English speakers and writers might have trouble understanding why this is confusing topic for English language learners. Add commas if the clause adds extra information that is not essential to identifying the noun. Why would we need to know his name? Below, many of whom serves as the subject of the modifying clause. Because the clause likely needs an object and the object must appear in the objective case (whom or whomever). Hello teachers, According to this sentence, 'She will drive her car tomorrow. (opens its doors,  provides services or accommodations). ¹An object relative pronoun cannot be omitted from (left out of) a nonidentifying clause. I’m sure it’s not just the unusualness of the syntax... there’s something else, and I wish I could put my finger on it. Below, all of which serves as the subject of the modifying clause. I described its properties. Thus, it is grammatically correct to write: Congress passed the statute, whose purpose was to lower taxes. Add commas if the clause adds extra information that is not essential to identifying the noun. to wear them home. Because, "a/an" can also be used as an "indefinite pronoun". 9. Today, Lisa Marie Presley owns 100% of Graceland Estate. When Elvis died on August 16, 1977, he was by no means broke, but his estate at Graceland was costing far too much to maintain. 6. Thanks in advance. What are their genotypes? A nonidentifying clause adds extra information about a noun already identified by other means, for example, by name, by shared knowledge or context. Below, all of which serves as the object of the modifying clause. All of whom, most of whom, many of whom, much of whom, some of whom, a few of whom, a little of whom, none of whom, etc. For which of the individuals mentioned can you be sure of the genotypes? All of Which in a Modifying Clause. The comma should be omitted. Whom (not who) is used because it is the object of the prepositional phrase of. *not used  /  NP (noun phrase) / MOD – takes a modifier as its complement, a — any (unspecific-indefinite) / one — a particular one (specific-definite). Crispi, whose strong anti-clerical convictions did not prevent him from regarding the papacy as preeminently an Italian institution, was determined both to prove to the Catholic world the practical independence of the government of the Church and to retain for Rome so potent a centre of universal attraction as the presence of the future pope. Which replaces an object noun in a quantity phrase of a modifying clause. what are the genotypes of ALL members of this family including both sets … Where is Martha Elliott Bill Elliott ex-wife today? For some acquaintances one house is in Nişantaşı and the other is in Ankara, for other acquaintances one house is in Nişantaşı and the other is in Izmir, but she has a boyfriend. All Rights Reserved. Why? Modifying Quantity Clauses Quantifier — All of Which . It implies that you aready know that this guy had two houses when the guy isn't even named - he's simply referred to a "a boyfriend.". I stayed at a good hotel. 1. In my class were a lot of kids most of whom were from China. A blue-eyed man whose father and mother were both brown-eyed married a brown-eyed, woman whose father was brown-eyed and whose mother was blue-eyed. The suggestions involved selling off Graceland. An identifying clause adds information or narrows (limits) the noun to a specific one, group or lot. It is also called restrictive, essential , or necessary clause. Why? JavaScript is disabled. However, many people still find whose and who’s particularly confusing because, in English, an apostrophe followed by an s usually indicates the possessive form of a word. Answer. What are their genotypes? After all, who on earth would say: It was an idea the time of which had come. Top Answer. Most of them come from outside of the city. One of them is Disneyland. When adding a clause in which "be" specifies (identifies) the subject noun, word order follows the usual rules. Disney hosts many of the visitors / many of them. No commas are used. There is definitely something in the sentence that is missing. Select the response from the list that best completes the sentence. a few of which. I was trying more to get the right context for the sentence than the grammar it ended up in. In my class were a lot of kids who were mostly from China. Quantity Phrases can be used before  which, whom or whose +noun. Below, most of whose + noun serves as the object of the modifying clause. When be is specifying, it is followed by a definite noun (NP, Ger/Infclause) that identifies the subject noun (NP). This means that the words have the same pronunciation but different spellings and definitions. All of Which in a Modifying Clause. If you already know how to use these words, you can skip the explanation and go directly to the exercises. After all, who on earth would say: It was an idea the time of which had come. Statistics help: What is the difference between the p-value and the chi squared value? (It is from ''Oxford-Michael-Swan-Practical-English-Usage, page 477) I would like to ask if I can turn that sentence into: 2 -She had a teddy-bear, both of the eyes of which were missing. My point about the unnamed boyfriend was intended to point out the inconsistency between the phrase "She has a boyfriend," which implies that this is someone being introduced into the narrative for the first time, and the following phrase, "both of whose houses are in N", which implies that you already knew that he had two houses. There seems to be an inconsistency between the bold parts. This is the machine, the properties of which I described. As I see it, the opening clause has been left dangling. On my trip, there were forty people, most of whom were from Italy. Many of them had been financial advisors to Elvis. Whom (not who) is used because it is the object of the prepositional phrase of. __________ __________ are structures of the cytoskeleton that can vary in their protein composition.? The biking trophy was given to the Jaguars, all of whom you just met. But in the meantime, may I ask whether it was a Freudian slip that caused you to leave out the punctuation in the crucial phrase? Most of whom – the object of a preposition is replaced by whom. I can’t think of a good reason why, but this sentence just doesn’t seem right. A clause that adds extra, nonidentifying information is set off with comma(s). The Disney Company has several parks. No commas are used. Both / both of the children have gone to bed. Both / Both of my children want to be singers. You've got it! Walt Disney was devoted to his children, all of whom adored their father. *There were a lot of kids in my class who most were from China. In 2005, several EPE shares were sold by Lisa Marie Presley. That’s a great scenario, JulianStuart, and maybe, one day, you’ll finish the book! "She has a boyfriend, John, both of whose houses are in Nisantasi." They have one child who is blue eyed. Priscilla received a lot of suggestions from friends. I agree that the sentence is not well expressed, but it would not be impossible in spoken language. Both of us can swim.