Let it cook, without stirring until the sugar begins to melt. Combine ¼ cup of the sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet over low heat. You can also use individual ramekins if you like. Take a baking pan large enough to hold the casserole and add about 2 inches of very hot tap water or enough to come about 2/3 up the sides of the prepared pan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into cream … Bake in preheated oven until flan is set and a toothpick inserted in center of flan comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes. Learn how your comment data is processed. My parents Ramiro and Blanca Mendez moved to the United States from Monterrey, Mexico in 1963. Turn heat to medium. It’s a chef’s secret I learn just a few years ago. I was! Meanwhile, caramelize sugar: in a small heavy skillet (preferably non-stick) without stirring, heat the sugar over medium heat until it begins to melt. Embracing my Mexican heritage and sharing all the wonderful flavors, colors and foods I grew up with. To unmold, loosen edges with a knife. Total Carbohydrate Set the casserole dish in a bowl of hot water )being careful not to splash water into the flan) for about 2 minutes in order to loosen up the caramel. Use a 3 quart casserole. Coconut Flan: Prepare as above adding one can of cream of coconut. It is very easy to make and it is very versatile in that you can use reduced fat dairy products and anywhere from 4 to 10 eggs and it will still come out great. It became popular all over Europe (including Spain) and when Columbus came to America, it is said that he introduced the dish to the natives; the dish then became popular all over the Americas, even in Mexico. Just 1 tablespoon mixed into a slurry is enough! If you prefer a firmer flan you can bake it without the water bath for about 30 minutes. Carefully remove casserole from water bath. This is my family recipe for flan. Continue this until the sugar turns to a caramel color. Place the pie plate in a large glass or ceramic baking dish and fill the baking dish (not inside the flan) with about one inch of hot water so that the pie plate is surrounded with water, but not floating. Get the recipe @ http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Flan/detail.aspx Watch how to make a simple Spanish baked flan. Place cinnamon stick and milk in a small saucepan over very low heat. If you prefer a firmer flan you can bake it without the water bath for about 30 minutes. Then you just need to push the rack in. Pumpkin Flan: Empty one 16 oz can pureed pumpkin into a saucepan. It is popular through out all of Latin America. As it’s enjoyed throughout the world, you may call this dessert custard pudding, crème caramel, caramel custard, flan or a different name in your language. Start by pouring one cup of sugar into a warm pan over medium heat. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Remove skillet from heat and immediately pour caramelized sugar into a round 2 quart casserole or other appropriate dish. Pour mix into pan with prepared caramel. Enjoy immediately. Carefully transfer to the middle oven rack, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the custard is barely set and just jiggles slightly. Let it chill for at least 6 hours. This recipe works well in that you can reduce the eggs to 4 and still have a great custard. When you are ready to serve it, place a serving dish over the flan and turn the whole thing over so that the flan comes onto the serving dish. The amount of chocolate depends on how chocolaty you want it. If you like a richer custard you can use up to 10 eggs. Cooking has always been one of my passions in life. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. This is not a dessert that mom prepared, but yet I grew up knowing about it. It needs some fat, so don�t go all fat free and only 4 eggs. https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-flan-recipe-2342998 Blend smooth after each ingredient is added. Place the baking dish in a larger baking pan, and pour boiling water into the pan until the water comes up one inch on the sides of the baking dish. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before you remove it from the water bath onto a cooling rack. Let the flan cool for an hour before transferring it to the refrigerator. Let it sit for a few minutes. Red, White and Blue! In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well incorporated. Set aside. 13 %, (or up to 1 1/2 cups if you like a lot of caramel sauce). Yum! WATER BATH. Until my good friend Norma gave me some great tips! Notes: For less fat, substitute low fat or fat free condensed milk and/or evaporated milk. If you have a candy thermometer, this will be about 320 F to 350 F. Once the caramel has reached its golden brown color, quickly pour it into the pie plate, tilting it to swirl the caramel around the sides. The key is a good balance. DO NOT stir the sugar. Invert into a serving platter with deep enough sides to contain the caramel. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out just barely clean � there should still be some bit of custard on it. My children love flan. This is my family recipe for flan. Place pie pan in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish, and, working from the side, carefully fill baking dish with water until water reaches halfway up side of pie pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a pot or tea kettle heat 6 cups of water to medium heat. In a nonstick skillet, add 1 cup of sugar and spread out evenly. Gradually whisk in the milk products, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. COOL. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk, heated cinnamon milk and vanilla. Constantly stir the sugar. Remove and let cool. I imagine it’s chilled and extra creamy. Transfer to deep baking dish. Place a larger platter or flat plate over flan. Be careful not to burn. Bring a kettle of water to a boil for the water bath and keep it hot. Preheat the oven to 390°F. Serve with fresh fruit or fresh whipped cream! Preparation. I am first generation Mexican American born in Los Angeles, California. Holding dish with pot holders, quickly rotate dish so that the sugar coats the bottom and sides evenly. Mix well. To make caramel, have a 2-quart porcelain flan mold at the ready. Set aside to cool. This flan recipe could not get any easier. BAKE. This is my journey and I can't wait to see what the future holds. You can refrigerate the leftovers for up to 48 hours. Filed Under: Dessert First, Latin American Cuisine, Traditional Mexican Recipes Tagged With: Custard, Dessert, Flan, Traditional Mexican Recipes. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before you remove it from the water bath onto a cooling rack. Read More…, Get all the latest directly to your inbox, A glass or metal baking dish for hot water bath. It is very easy to make and it is very versatile in that you can use reduced fat dairy products and anywhere from 4 to 10 eggs and it will still come out great. Who doesn’t love flan? You will need a 9-inch glass or metal pie plate and an additional large baking pan or dish that you can place the pie plate in for a water bath. Bake 50-60 minutes, until the center of the flan is set and only jiggles slightly when shaken gently. When it begins to melt, shake the skillet, do not stir with a spoon. Swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Traditionally flan is made with caramel sauce but you can skip it if you like, just bake the flan without it. Recipe Notes: Water bath – I know using a water bath adds a teeny bit of extra work to this recipe, but it’s totally worth it to ensure that rich, melt-in- your-mouth texture you want in a perfect flan. To create the water bath: pour the hot (not boiling) water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the side of the mold; be careful not get water into the custard. This step is optional but gives a nice flavor. If you prefer a firmer flan you can bake it without the water bath for about 35 to 40 minutes at 350°F It will cook quicker but won't be quite as creamy. The flan will bake in the water bath for 50 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes. 39.9 g Whisk this slurry into the flan mix. Spain invaded Mexico in the 1500s and they exerted a major influence on the Mexican diet; flan was surely a common dish.