She's been mentioned numerous times in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, National Public Radio, Boston Globe, LA Times, Vogue, French Vogue and has at least 15 Project Runway alums at last count. knits garment is calculated in Kgs and the consumption of woven garment is calculated in meters or in yards, fabric consumption calculation method for knitted garments. Otherwise, it looks pretty handy! Britannica touched on my question … since pattern piece layout, and waste, are quite different for each width, is it possible for sensible conversions to be made? 3. This alone could be the justification I need getting an iphone from at&t (and selling my soul to the devil for 2 years). Yardage pricing comparison Again, you may have a calculator with you but the calculator doesn’t put it all together for you so neatly. No app, program or person can do all of the work. 2 select a unit of measurement. Inches . Any chance they will expand the width options?? There’s no big red EASY button for complex matters. :). Wouldn’t that be problematic though? http://www.gulenoconsulting.com/getfabriccalc. Enjoy reading our free contents. I think this is a neat tool if you have an iPhone. Get how to guides to resolve issues in apparel production. It has become a very useful tool, especially when traveling to trade shows and being able to keep in touch with customers, the office and home. If one can’t see their way through doing that and keeping the constraints of their product uppermost in mind, then this tool obviously (as I said before) is not as useful to them as it will be to -perhaps primarily- production people. Please tell all your friends about it. Meaning, they likely also have some acumen as to the specifics of their product and any sorts of constraints particular to it. 4 Choose your style. That new and better application -called Fabric Calc– is ready to go. I know when an enthusiast cuts one garment, the layout can be very different; I would think this would be even more true when cutting several garments out of each length — wouldn’t the markers be radically different? Multiple the fabric area by fabric weight (GSM) and calculate fabric requirement per garment in grams. Then convert the fabric consumption per garment into Kg. The fabric area is calculated considering the maximum utilization of fabric in widthwise. This is rather easy for me to do (throwing in an allowance for perhaps needed re-cutting of pieces) so I sometimes forget that not everyone can do this. You can also click on the answer (D) to toggle between a decimal or a fractional number, which will round up to the nearest 1/8 yard. Okay, I have to join the crowd. Multiple pattern pieces only complicate the matter. the APP: This will be useful for anyone who deals with fabric and product costs, from designers and pattern makers to marker makers and production sewing rooms. Enter how many units you want to cut for the order, our example shows we want to make 30 of them. This first module can be used to do a straight yardage width conversion. Does this make sense? The following steps are taken to measure fabric consumption. 3 add your curtain/blind size. A lot of people skip the chapter on marker making thinking it is too technical but it’s the only way through this. Compare costs to determine which fabric is the better buy. Awhile back, a new iPhone application was created to help people figure out yardage conversion. Prasanta Sarkar is the founder and editor of Online Clothing Study Blog. Re: layouts. Calculates the allocation needed for a quantity of production units which includes number of yards to buy and the total fabric cost for the lot. Please download and read to share that knowledge. we've started you off with our standard sizes below: Fabric width in cm. I’m just settling in and won’t be doing the iPhone thing. I’m not one given to be fond of objects but I love my iphone. My contract was up (by 1.5 years) and I needed a “new” phone. Width and length constrain how the pattern pieces can be placed, so some length cannot always be transferred into width and vice versa. My immediate thought was the layout problems mentioned above. The whole shooting match relies heavily on the chapter in my book on making markers which includes the working in of all sizes; not something that people cutting single items at home would do. He had a name for it, wish I could remember it. Not nearly as I’d like. As for the APP (the real reason for writing), this does seem useful. Harper Della-Piana: Do I need to be more specific about constraints? Kathleen writes nearly all of the articles on Fashion-Incubator.com and hosts its forum, the largest private online community for apparel manufacturers on the web. Can they make this into a Blackberry App? Also, if you can’t multiply fractions in your head, surely a paper and pencil is as fast as pulling out your iphone, putting in numbers (correctly) and getting the answer. To be sure there can a variation in percentage of waste -either way- but again, someone using this tool is likely to be more sophisticated regarding their product attributes. But I also think that people who would use this do have rough figures in their head of what their product takes based on width groupings.