Oh believe me, I’m equally astonished that you have not experienced this. For gigs at established clubs, the band will normally be asked to provide a sketch of their onstage placement of instruments and vocalists (dubbed a stage plot) and a mic input list. The Performer will provide services on the following dates and times.PandaTip: Use the template’s performance table (above) to list all dates that the entertainer will be expected to perform at the venue. Large venues and big groups may require extensive negotiations. In the end, while there’s a little bit of a learning curve to using a gig agreement for many musicians, as well as those who may book us, doing so will help make the actual performance, as well as getting paid, a whole lot less stressful. Building in bonuses or other compensation – such as another $200 for an extra set because people don’t want to leave the party, $100 to learn and perform a special song, or a percentage of the door receipts if more than 100 people come to the gig – is a good idea. they ended up using paypal to pay me, we waited until the money was put into our account and told them we’d start driving once it cleared. 3) Compensation. That is, what you can sell at the gig, when you can sell it, and whether or not the club or venue will provide space to do so. It will give you the authority to determine whether the cancellation is temporary or it can be resumed. I have never heard of a venue…even a bar…and I’m originally from THE STICKS… that refused to sign a contract when presented in a professional manner. I hope you don’t mind if I request  a copy of your contract, too. To learn more about performance contracts, we’ll check in with an expert on the subject, Michael A. Aczon, a veteran entertainment attorney and author of The Musician’s Legal Companion, a no-nonsense guide to navigating the business of music. You know, like 300-400 venues in the greater Seattle area,.. None of those are worth playing?? A good Performance Agreement will also have both parties covered in case anything goes wrong: clauses such as a limitation on liability and a selection of governing law should be included. wtrix. After we did EVERYTHING by the book, with observation, the union did absolutely nothing to help us to receive our pay. Secondly. Wow actually we’ve been booking bands since the 60s and none of our acts, or any of our buyer affiliates would expect to do any kind of business without a bona fide contract. If your event planning firm decides to go with outside vendors to provide any of these services, the contract ought to detail who those vendors are and what services they will be contracted for. I definitely agree with the people who think this is just vain self importance on the part of the musician. Who wouldn’t? Then he said he would outline our agreement in an email. Good advice, however for any special event (anything needing extra work for the music) I always require 50% deposit upfront and if they don’t want to cooperate, I’d rather not play for them anyway. The written agreement covers a variety of situations which may come up. Performance Contracts: For private events, weddings, and special performances, a band contract is key. Wow. Now THAT would have been a great article. Nothing will bring down the mood of the band right before their set than a bouncer angrily grabbing your merch off the table in front of your audience and throwing it in a pile backstage. And there ARE good clubs that are beneficial to a band’s exposure that a band SHOULD play, however they would not sign a contract of any kind. I would ask him about it every few days and he always promised to take me to get it. This template allows you to create and send a polished commercial photography contract in less than five minutes! I think a BETTER story would be “How to get a booking agent or bar owner to sign a contract”. Thanks so much for sharing. Any and all notifications in regards to this performance contract shall take place in written form and may be delivered via email, courier, or certified mail to the following addresses: Performer: Your email address will not be published. ex) 5-6 hours of lawyer advice or clean my pool. Have you ever been in a situation where you and your client agreed to certain terms of event and at the last moment your client walked out on you? Guarantees, percentages (sometimes referred to as “contingent fees”), deals with a smaller guarantee plus a piece of the door or bar, etc. In order to make the right choice on any event management and contract management software, be sure to check out some of our 200,000 reviews in our software directories! for me, i play many weddings, private events, and clubs/bars. clubland is not fun business-wise, but can work if you have a system and are choosy where you perform…, i play in a reggae hawaiian band by the way… For weddings, etc., they are paying out big bucks for caterers etc., and they have contracts with all of them, so don’t let them get away without signing a contracts for events like that……but for club gigs, the best advice is to get a good manager/agent. I hate to point out the obvious, but the title of this article is: For private events, weddings, and special performances, a band contract is key. For some concert venues, they will have a dedicated staff and tables to sell your merch. Look at that type down your guitar strumming, and drum battering noses.. with disdain.. grow a spine and say “ah hell no, you’re one of those.. Id rather play to my dog and little sister then get ripped professionally like that”. Should the Performer and Venue find themselves unable to reach a resolution to a dispute, both parties agree to seek a binding ruling from a neutral arbitrator. These circumstances range anywhere from extreme weather (think hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods) to asteroid collisions (you never know). The Vendor will be responsible for the payments listed below upon each show’s conclusion. The budget should provide a rough idea of what you expect to spend planning and facilitating this event. According to Michael, “The range of payment terms is so wide, it’s difficult to even speculate what a ‘typical’ or ‘standard’ arrangement is these days. 25, 2017 by Except with respect to claims arising from a Party’s separate negligence or willful acts, which shall remain that Party’s personal obligation, each Party agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the other Party and its directors, officers, and employees with respect to a claim arising from the Party’s actual or alleged act, failure to act, error, or omission in the performance of their obligations under this Agreement or any governing law or regulation.”. A Performance Contract is a contract between a performer and a client that outlines the terms and conditions of a live performance. The template’s terms are designed to be easy to understand and fair to both parties. In either case, both sides may have standard boilerplate contracts which they can use as a starting point for developing a performance contract or attorneys for both sides can draw up a contract. Are rehearsals expected/required? [Performer.Email]. If you approach this from a business stand point, and a band stand point, for that matter, this is exactly what you want to do.