Paul's teaching about salvation by grace and by faith came in a hot stream from his heart, but to this generation his words are apt to sound coldly, and hardly theological. {9} Not of works, lest any man should boast. --Ephesians 2:1. Not long ago, I tried, "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins." Let us prove, in all our varied walks of life, and scenes of conflict, the fulness of His power and grace and thus shall we know "In the ages to come the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness to, 'We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.'--Eph. --Ephesians 2:1. If this be the …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 61: 1915, All of GraceOF THE THINGS which I have spoken unto you these many years, this is the sum. ii. As for:-- I. The text reads with a singular sound; for it seems strange to the ear that good works should be negatived as the cause of salvation, and then should be spoken of as the great end of it. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. The Roman Empire had in Paul's time gathered into a great unity the Asiatics of Ephesus, the Greeks of Corinth, the Jews of Palestine, and men of many another race, but grand and imposing as that great unity was, it was to Paul a poor thing compared with the oneness of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:9 Parallel Commentaries. Nous voudrions effectuer une description ici mais le site que vous consultez ne nous en laisse pas la possibilité. Can there be such a thing as a sanctified steeple? Can it possibly happen that there can be such a thing in the world as a moral window or a godly door post? The thought is overwhelming, that soon this body of mine must be a carnival for worms; that in and out of these …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 3: 1857, The Agreement of Salvation by Grace with Walking in Good WorksI shall call your attention to the near neighborhood of these two phrases, "Not of works," and "Created in Christ Jesus unto good works." I rejoice also to remember that those of my family who were ministers of Christ before me preached this doctrine, and none other. ii. Asiatics of Ephesus, Greeks of Corinth, Jews of Palestine and members of …Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture Ephesians, Peter,John, Spiritual ResurrectionThe apostle is here speaking, you will observe, of the church at Ephesus, and, indeed, of all those who were chosen in Christ Jesus, accepted in him, and redeemed with his blood; and he says of them, "You hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins." Within the circle of these words my theology is contained, so far as it refers to the salvation of men. God …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 38: 1892, The Tabernacle of the Most HighWhen men talk of holy places they seem to be ignorant of the use of language. Ephesians 2:9-10 King James Version (KJV) 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. King James Version (KJV). "That in the Ages to Come He Might Show the Exceeding Riches of his Grace" (Eph. The have but anticipated the statement of the fourth and fifth verses: "God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ." 10. {9} Not of works, lest any man should boast. You may put it down among what the Puritans called "Orthodox Paradoxes," if you please; though it is hardly so difficult a matter as to deserve the name. But they only need to be reflected upon in connection with our own experience, to become vivid and …Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture Ephesians, Peter,John, 'The Chief Corner-Stone''Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the chief corner-stone.'--Eph. But they only need to be reflected upon in connection with our own experience, to become vivid and, Expositions of Holy Scripture Ephesians, Peter,John, 'Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the chief corner-stone.'--Eph. Can there be such a thing as a sanctified steeple? I DO not want you to feel at this time as if you were listening to a sermon, or to any sort of set discourse, but rather I should like, if it were possible, that you should feel as if you were alone with the Saviour, and were engaged in calm and quiet meditation; and I will try to be the prompter, standing at the elbow of your contemplation, suggesting one thought and then another; and …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 62: 1916, "That in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace" (Eph. Asiatics of Ephesus, Greeks of Corinth, Jews of Palestine and members of, The apostle is here speaking, you will observe, of the church at Ephesus, and, indeed, of all those who were chosen in Christ Jesus, accepted in him, and redeemed with his blood; and he says of them, "You hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins." You may put it down among what the Puritans called "Orthodox Paradoxes," if you please; though it is hardly so difficult a matter as to deserve the name. (9) He specifically and completely takes away from our works the praise of justification, seeing that the good works themselves are the effects of grace in us. 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. --Ephesians 2:13. I am lost in amazement, utterly lost, when I think how addled men's brains must be when they impute moral virtues to bricks and mortar, and stones, and stained glass. Can holiness dwell in bricks and mortar? Not long ago, I tried …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 37: 1891, Life from the Dead"And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins." Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. Pray how deep Doth this consecration go, and how high? Is, WE SHALL have two things to consider this evening--the misery of our past estate, and the great deliverance which God has wrought for us. 11Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: Not of workes, lest any man should boast.- King James Version (1611) - View 1611 Bible Scannot as a result of works, so that no one may boast.- New American Standard Version (1995)not of works, that no man should glory.- American Standard Version (1901)Not by works, so that no man may take glory to himself.- Basic English Biblenot on the principle of works, that no one might boast.- Darby BibleNot by works, lest any man should boast.