But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Unlike other sets, Dominaria heavily revolves around legendary creatures and spells. Since beatdown isn’t a tier 1 strategy on Dominara, something else has to be… outside of simply having a bunch of rares, one of the best things to do is draft a deck that has a lot of synergy between cards (i.e., cards that work together well). I was pretty excited to see this change take place, since I have already acquired much of what I need for deck building from GRN but still need a lot of common and uncommon staples from the older Standard-legal sets. It is one of my favorite Limited formats and I hope this guide serves as a nice refresher for some or encourages players that have never experienced DOM to give it a shot. ChannelFireball - Magic: The Gathering Strategy, Singles, Cards, Decks. These are great cards that you are happy starting with, and they all rank above the common/uncommon removal spells. To be fair, B/G is just a really deep color combination in Dominaria and the Saproling overlap is just icing on the cake. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. I’m really glad to see that Arena is mixing things up and bringing back Drafts for the older formats. It also doesn’t hurt that Dominaria is a really fun Limited set. I’m actually using a bunch of individually mediocre cards to create aggressive synergies. Beatdown is still viable (as we saw with my B/W historic deck), but it isn’t clearly better than midrange or controlling strategies. Having to use combat tricks to punch through an opposing 2-drop is pretty weak and not the best use of resources. That's a bit harder. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The Draft format on MTG Arena has switched from GRN to Dominaria. He has three Grand Prix Top 8s with a win in Boston-Worcester in 2012. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Once again, I’m going to list the cards assuming that you are already in this deck. MTG Magic: The Gathering, all the newest videos, arena, decks, combos, tips, tricks, hints, news, pre-releases and basically everything about the game, updated daily, just for you. Today, we are going to look at the cards you want to see staring back at you when you crack your first pack. ... He’s worth splashing for, and makes me want to draft a good curve of defensive creatures when I have him. on April 30, 2018, Bio Welcome back to Pack 1, Pick 1: Throne of Eldraine edition! Perhaps the best of the common flyers is Pegasus Courser, since it can float a fatty along with it into the red zone to quickly clock an opponent without blockers. a player who makes an attack is walking into a trap, since the blocking player will always have advantageous blocks. Want to draft Dominaria well? Here are the cards you should be looking for, in roughly the order you should be picking them. Most of these are threats, and lots of multicolored cards live here. Want to draft Dominaria? These go from above-average first picks at the top to almost dead-average first picks at the bottom. If you are not lucky enough to open or be passed bomb rares, you can still get a lot of value out of the powerful uncommons the set has to offer. The first important keyword to keep in mind is historic. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Brian DeMars has played Magic pretty much since the beginning. Since the advantage of tempo is a little bit less profound in Dominaria, the overall quality of your cards tends to matter more. It’s difficult to mount an offense that can run anybody over because the defensive cards are more powerful than the majority of the aggressive ones. These are the best of the best, and are the cards you hope to see staring back at you when you open a pack of Dominaria. He was also recently a 2015 Open Champion in Indianapolis. I had flyers to close, Chainer’s Torment gave me some burn to finish people off, and I had a great bomb in Helm of the Host. “Bombs” are a great way to swing games that are close or where you are behind in your favor by creating a big effect that is beyond what a typical, baseline-power-level common could do. He bounces their best card (and delays it for multiple turns), draws a card each turn, and has a solid amount of loyalty. The Wizards do a good job, and are aggressive enough to start taking the play to your opponent, and forcing them to block and try to trade. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Also, there is a lack of 2-mana 3-power creatures, which makes it difficult to break through 3-toughness blockers on the ground without using a combat trick. You don't want to start off a draft here unless you must, though these are all cards I'm happy putting in my deck at the end of the draft. Another common endgame is a ground stall. I’m really not sure.”. I wouldn’t even mind paying a premium for these types of effects in a format such as this (a.k.a. Note that Icy Manipulator and In Bolas's Clutches are on the list, which makes this one of the few times that uncommons have made it to the highest tier. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It is 100% unreasonable and unbeatable once it gets going. As usual with Draft, it's best to prioritize colorless or more flexible cards early, but some of these cards are too good to pass even if they're multicolored. This card is meant for dealing with some really big and annoying -- even indestructible -- creatures. These are the best of the best, and are the cards you hope to see staring back at you when you open a pack of Dominaria. Throne of Eldraine (ELD) Draft it here See pick-order/tier list h e re. In this Dominaria Draft Guide I discuss Format Basics, Top Commons, Best Combos, and tons of Tips, Tricks, and Tidbits that will get you ready for Dominaria's return to MTG Arena! Sparring Golem is doing a ton of work in this deck paired with Demonic Vigor. In a format with a lot of high-toughness creatures on the ground, these types of stalls are very common and you’ll want a way to break through: Flying is the most common way around a ground stall. Today’s article is a quick refresher guide on how to draft winning decks in Dominaria. Posted in How to Play Limited I like formats that are a little slower and let me experiment with wacky synergy decks rather than just force 1- and 2-drop beatdown creatures and combat tricks. Brian plays and enjoys all Constructed and Limited formats but has a particular fondness for Vintage. With fairy-tale flavor everywhere, you'll stumble on cards that you didn't get the... © 1993-2020 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Today’s article is a quick refresher guide on how to draft winning decks in Dominaria. It’s a pretty common endgame to have a ground stall with the majority of the action happening up in the skies. The big payoffs for Saprolings are mostly uncommon, but they pay off big: All of these cards come together to make the 1/1 Thallid tokens much better than they would be on their own, and the various spells that create between two and four 1/1s much more impactful. Deep Freeze is an interesting new removal that probably carries one of the best arts in the entire Dominaria set.. It's more of a mediocre playable, so don't go slamming it quite yet. Good luck drafting and may all of your prize packs have mythic wild cards! Overall, I think black is easily the best color in Dominaria Limited, with an abundance of great removal at common: In a slow format where flyers and powerful creatures matter a lot, removal to take down their trump creatures is obviously great. I know I’m clearly biased as a person who has played Magic since 1995, but I love the flavor of the plane of Dominaria and the fact that the Limited play is so strategic. The Card Image Gallery is updated every day with the latest card previews. Battle Bosses Game Play. There are not a ton of flyers at common, but the ones that do exist hit pretty hard. In fact, a lot of the uncommons are actually more impactful than many of the rares: When the set has both a legendary and multicolor flavor running through the uncommons, you are bound for a lot of bomby cards. Here’s an example of a very good B/G Saproling deck I went 7-1 with yesterday: Both of these cards are absurdly good individually, but pair them up with proper timing to create a one-sided Plague Wind that essentially ends the game. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. red cards) but black removal is also efficient. If you are in blue, look to pair up Arcane Flight with Cold-Water Snapper for a nasty and often unbeatable combo. The other archetype I’m looking to draft is U/R Wizards. Dominaria is a fairly slow format and many games develop into the later stages where card advantage, traction, and powerful-but-expensive spells decide the match. If you are completely new to the format, or if you just want a bit of a refresher, this is the guide for you, as it provides a great overview of this deep and complex format! For example, Fight with Fire is still a windmill slam because it’s great with Divination, Chronicler, and Arcanist. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. I like to be creative when I’m drafting, to the point where I often don’t know exactly how good my deck will be until I’ve played some games. Alana, Fae Empress Game Play Preview! White tends to be the color with the most historic synergies, so if you are going white, prioritize artifacts, Sagas, and legendary uncommons when you can. Beatdown is always a viable strategy, but you’ll want to make sure that you have options if the board stalls. Check out my Dominaria Drafts here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp3si-05oIBQboYFfMie6dvHMyGtOFEUy To support my content and receive EXCLUSIVE rewards, check out our Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/nicolaibolas If you want to catch me playing live, I stream several days a week on Twitch.