Keeping them frozen until frying ensures that the surface of the fry is sealed in the frying which ensures a crispier fry. They’re yummy! There's nothing wrong with frying from frozen. Specifically, though, we answered the question about the best oil for frying frozen french fries. Dr. Don’t overcook them! If you're using frozen French fries, you should know that there is no need to thaw these before frying. Potato will be sure to get your question answered within a week. ). Of course, back in “the day”, they fried their fries in beef fat. The right potatoes can mean the difference between really great french fries and bad ones. Ore-Ida Country Style Steak Fries come in at #1, Alexia Seasoned Waffle Fries are next because of the seasoning on them which is great, Ore-Ida Golden Twirls are fun especially with kids, in at #3, Trader Joe’s Chipotle Ranch Fries are amazing if you can find them and like a bit of heat. Cook the Book: Perfect French Fries [Serious Eats]. Use multiple words to help narrow down the results. You can get some great fries without a deep fryer, but of course, a deep fryer makes things really easy. 6. The other is making sure your oil is hot enough (350° to 375°). Then shake the bag or mix in the bowl by hand thoroughly until the fries are well coated with oil. Your deep-fryer may have a temperature setting, but if it doesn't or you are using a skillet, a cooking thermometer can help you determine if the oil is hot enough. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. I cooked frozen french fries in my #ninjafoodi for the first time today. Give the basket a gentle shake to even out the fries. Find out more here. You'll need to use a deep-fry … Share away! Bake according to the directions on the package and serve when done. Thawing your fries first can lead to excess oil absorption and ultimately a soggier french fry.’. Please try searching below before submitting a question to Dr. Cook the Frozen French Fries. The human took me to therapy and now we’re at McDonalds having French fries. You don't need to install a deep fat fryer in your kitchen or apprentice at a burger stand to get homemade French fries worthy of great praise. So I did a little research and compiled some great information to share with you: The best oil for frying frozen french fries is one that can take high heat & doesn’t alter the flavor of the fries. It also doesn’t hurt to get one that is reasonably priced too since deep fryers use a lot of oil. In running through celebu-chef Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes, Serious Eats' Caroline Russock pulls out the information fans of the crispy wedges need to know: Russets or baking potatoes are the best, whereas waxy potatoes (such as Red Bliss or new potatoes) simply won't do. All we know is that there are different sizes of potatoes available in the market and the palengke. Fear not! Oil added near the end will ensure they crisp up to perfection and taste like deep frying too. You Can Get This Puto Bumbong Or Bibingka Cheesecake For Less Than P300, LIST: Where To Buy Sugar-Free Desserts And Pastries, Here's An Easy Way To Make Japanese Katsu Curry At Home, Chiffon Cake with Cream-O Buttercream Recipe, 5 Easy Recipes For Dim Sum Dishes To Kick-start Your Home-Based Business, J.CO Launches A New Caramel Doughnut And Caramel Drink For The Holidays, Chicken Asado Puto Pao Recipe With Salted Egg And Cheese, Everything You Need To Know About Making Ube Halaya, This Is How Long You Should Be Cooking Your Spaghetti + Other Pasta, WATCH: Easy + Satisfying Snacks To Whip Up. You'll know it's ready when you can feel that the fries have that crispy outer coating. You want to act as soon as possible because if the fries cool, the salt will not stick to the fries, leaving you with unseasoned fries where all the salt is found literally on the bottom of the bowl. Try to remove the freezer burn before frying, without necessarily thawing them out. Potatoes contain starch and it's this that will discolor if you don't wash it off immediately after slicing your potatoes into the fry shapes. You cook once at a relatively low temperature (about 325°) to get them soft but not brown (about 3 minutes). This method is called slacking, and while it may speed up the cooking think twice about it being good for the potatoes. When cooking frozen french fries it is all about short stints of time and a few shakes of the basket throughout the 15 minute cook time. Kitchen Appliance HQ is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies, but in no way increases the cost to you if you opt to make a purchase from my links. I was a leader for Whole Foods Market for over 2 decades and am now a recovering foodie. Game Changer! This guarantees that the surface of the potato is sealed during the frying process, resulting in a crispy, high quality fry. If you eat a lot of rice, a rice cooker is definitely for you. Add the Fries – We added 10 ounces of french fries to the fryer basket and then put the basket in the fryer and set the timer (see times for different types of fries below). Because the potatoes are cut into small pieces, they thaw quickly during cooking. When air frying French fries, do not let them thaw beforehand!! To bake the frozen fries: Preheat your oven to 450°F. That is, by no means, a way toward a healthier, low-fat meal, but if you're going to break out a deep-fry thermometer and a whole roll of paper towels for your French frying experiment, it's probably not an ordeal you're doing on the regular. Your email address will not be published. Yes, you can thaw fries and they will cook faster, but they will be soggy. Thus, the oils that best meet that test are canola oil, refined peanut, sunflower, or corn oil. Keeping them frozen before frying is one of the keys to crispy french fries. However, if you're buying frozen fries, you only need to fry them once. Place the fries on a baking sheet in a single layer. Drain on paper towels when done. Fry for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keeping them frozen before frying is one of the keys to crispy french fries. But you also want an oil that won’t impart a lot of flavor to the fries that could clash with the fry’s taste or your chosen condiment. Idaho's ideal growing conditions, including rich, volcanic soil, climate and irrigation differentiate Idaho® potatoes from potatoes grown in other states. Let’s be honest. After 6 minutes have passed remove the air fryer basket and shake it gently to move fries around. No problem! Privacy Policy, air fryer french fries, french fries, frozen french fries. Check out the ingredients in their fries (as stated on their website). So, as I stared at my bag of frozen garlic fries, I wondered what the best oil for frying frozen french fries was and CAN you deep fry frozen french fries. It’s a great question and there’s a lot of confusion around that. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. That being said, you also DO NOT want to thaw your frozen fries before dropping into your deep fryer. Wait! ). First, place your frozen fries (don’t that them) in a bowl or plastic bag and spray (or toss) generously with oil. Make no mistake, air frying or deep frying either one will get you a better textured french fry than baking. It's likely to be unhealthy, but if you want health, don't eat fries. When he's not spending time in the kitchen, he can usually be found with his wife & 3 daughters, he can usually be found practicing martial arts, making music, or blogging on his other sites. So get one of those for the best results. Once the oil is shimmering, you can add your frozen French fries in the pan. I always hand select items that I either own, have used, or have researched well to ensure they are great items. That's why if you want crisp French fries, grab these out of the freezer only when your oil is ready to be used, not before. If you don't have a rack, feel free to place it on paper towels first to get those first few drips but then transfer the fries to another plate or bowl soon after so it doesn't have a chance to steam. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. “Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. The other is making sure your oil is hot enough (350° to 375°). Rinse and then dry these thoroughly before frying to avoid the deadly talsik or oil splatters. Kitchen Appliance HQ also participates in affiliate programs with Siteground, Clickbank, CJ, ShareASale, and other sites. I always hand-select items that I either own, have used, or have researched well to ensure they are great items. I recommend that frozen French fries be kept completely frozen before using. Established in 1937, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) is a state agency that is responsible for promoting and protecting the famous "Grown in Idaho®" seal, a federally registered trademark that assures consumers they are purchasing genuine, top-quality Idaho® potatoes. Just click the link to read it on my site. They passed 3 boys thinking they’re super yummy….that’s all I needed to hear! Need to know other cooking mistakes you're making? The best fries are fries that you can serve soon after it came from the hot oil. Thawing fries out, on the other hand, will make the fries soggy before being placed into the oil. You can make perfectly cooked fries from fresh potatoes. Fry French fries and potato puffs, or brown them in the oven on a baking sheet. Whether you're making French fries from fresh potatoes or cooking these from a frozen pack, here are cooking mistakes you need to avoid so you can cook the perfect batch of fries every time: If you're using frozen French fries, you should know that there is no need to thaw these before frying. Use your tongs to tap the fries. This will get you super crispy, golden french fries. That way you get perfectly fried fries every time with great flavor and crispiness. We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on Yummy.ph. We are, of course, open to the idea that our readers have made some mind-melting fries, frites, or whatever you call your fried potatoes at home. Find out if you are doing any of these bad cooking habits: To retrieve your password, please enter your email address in the field below. To cook their fries, they use a blend of hydrogenated soybean oil, soybean oil, and canola oil. Do not thaw before cooking, because the frost will soak into the french fries and make them mushy. However, the problem with paper towels is that if you leave your still hot food on it, it tends to steam, destroying the crispiness that you worked hard to develop as you fried the food. Your email address will not be published. This, however, is mostly so they can crank out the fries faster and is NOT because it makes better tasting fries. They are golden brown & crispy. The perfect time to salt your fries is immediately after you remove it from the hot oil. Many a home chef has probably overcooked frozen french fries attempting to get them crispier only to dry them out and turn them into something like veggie straws.