Source(s): https://owly.im/a8MSl. First, once a tree is infested, the adults and larva are active behind the bark which serves as protection from conventional sprays. I saw this bug at the park today on the playground equipment. Photo by C. Allen. However, cottonwood borer beetles can also infest poplars and willows. When the bite happens, the beetle releases a chemical substance that can cause the skin to blister. I have also been told they do bite!! Found in Fremont, NE. Borers, including clearwing moths such as ash, dogwood, lesser peachtree, lilac, oak, peachtree, rhododendron borers; metallic wood borers such as bronze birch, flatheaded appletree and twolined chestnut borers; longhorned borer beetles such as cottonwood, locust, red oak borers, pales weevil adults and Zimmerman pine moth: Use 2 pounds per 100 gallons, spraying trunks and lower limbs of … She is also a digital marketing professional and published author with more than 20 years experience in media and business. 2 Answers. %PDF-1.5 %���� 0000020438 00000 n Your email address will not be published. The beetle will not harm you, though they do have strong jaws and it might pinch slightly if it tries to bite you. Linda Emma is a long-standing writer and editor. It may seem too easy, but borers are attracted to trees that are stressed and injured; pruning wounds are a common entry point for the first generation of invading borers. Call (817) 502-9402 Identifying Cottonwood Borer Beetles: FREE EVALUATIONS. BORER BEETLE TREATMENT OPTIONS ^ The control of tree borer beetles is really not a control as much as it is a preventive treatment. 18 . Wisteria Borers Control: How To Fix Wisteria Borer Damage, Emerald Ash Tree Borer Treatment: Tips On How To Prevent Ash Borer, Vegetable Garden Tricks And Tips You Should Try, Herbal Treatment Tips: Growing Your Own Herbal Remedies, Poison Ivy Treatments: Poison Ivy Home Remedy Tips, Help, My Gooseberry Fruit Has Maggots: Currant Fruit Fly Control, Potato Plant Flowering: My Potato Blossoms Turned Into Tomatoes, Cactus Problems: Why Is My Cactus Going Soft, What Are Green Lacewings: Tips On Using Lacewings For Insect Control, Home Remedy For Stomachaches: Creative Ways To Use Ginger Root, 13 DIY Projects That'll Bring Your Garden Indoors for the Holidays and Help Feed the World, Getting Plants Cheap – Words Of Wisdom From A Haphazard Gardener. We also think this is such a beautiful photograph that we want to post it for the benefit of our readers. The body is beautifully marked with a bold pattern of black rectangular areas on a creamy white to yellow background. Now what do I do with him? For additional information, contact your local Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service agent or search for other state Extension offices. lol cottonwood borer . I don’t know how to send a picture. Adults can be found on infested host plants during the daytime. Damage: Young trees may be killed when larvae tunnel under the bark (through the xylem tissue) all the way around the base of the tree, girdling it. 0 We live at Etowah, near Noble Ok. Larvae (grubs) tunnel around the crown and buttress roots. 0000031961 00000 n Previous Next. You can also subscribe without commenting. Imidacloprid and dinotefuran, systemic insecticides, can control borers that remain close to the bark layer of the tree, but should not be applied without identifying the pest inside your tree first. In midsummer, female adults gnaw holes at the base of trees and lay yellowish eggs, which hatch in 16 to 18 days. Interesting Bug It is hard for you to find larvae since that they are embedded deep within the trees root system at the heartwood.