All rights reserved unless otherwise provided as noted, please report any copyright infringements to the email noted elswhere on this site. Rout the two-step groove while the blank is still a rectangle. Making a Dovetail Spline Jig for the Router Table. Sources: Lee Valley, leevalley.com, 800-871-8158, Adhesive bench measuring tapes, 48 in., #25U02.02. to 16-in. For the Dovetail Sled's Diagram and Materials List, click here to download the PDF. Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. I think finding a board like this would help reduce the chance of wood chipping out at the corner of the spline. End-grain milling can be difficult. There really is not a lot of wood to hang on there, no matter how the wood is cut so a finer grain wood would be one way of helping to firm up those corners. This resulted in less than idea dovetail blanks, but they were usable. Homemade Dovetail Jig for a Router Table | Hunker The dovetail joint is a utilitarian and reliable way to join wood together. The comfortable handle provides a sure grip on the sled and keeps your hands out of harm’s way. after the trimming I fastened the edges on and made the side that will ride against the router fence about 12" long because I wanted a longer smooth edge as a guide. Cut out the handle on the bandsaw and file and sand it smooth. In order to raise the bit sufficiently beyond the sled, you probably won’t be able to bottom out the bit in your router’s collet. birch multi-ply or from maple. A small plunge router works best with the trammel because it has the ability to both initiate a cut and extend its depth quite easily. To use the springboard, clamp one end in place, flex the jig to create pressure against the workpiece and then clamp the other end in place. I did mine it 3 tries but it could have easily been more. A coping sled solves these problems. Slide a MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamp into each end of the hold down, and clamp it to the edge of the router table. The bit stopped about halfway through the first cut. Drill the hole for the nickel 1/16-in. Trace the profile of a bench plane handle onto the handle blank. And finally, as all woodworkers understand, you’ll have the satisfaction that comes with saying, “I made it myself.” The five jigs described here are all designed to deliver improved accuracy, control and adjustability for a lifetime of better routing. Built from multi-ply for strength and stability, this depth-gauge jig requires a short length of self-stick measuring tape with large numbers, a thumbscrew and a little piece of clear acrylic. stock for the base so the toggle clamp’s force won’t distort it. The first side came off fine and despite the fact that the video is speeded up, I did take my time to get a nice clean cut. Because these sleds are easily made from materials in your scrap bin, you could have a number of sleds on hand for various bits. We may receive a commission when you use our affiliate links. Now set the jig in the table saw’s right-hand slot. Then cut the baseplate profile on a bandsaw and sand the edges. square pine would work nicely—between the fence and the workpiece and let the router chew it up. Then tap holes for a pivot screw. Install the handle at an angle so that during operation the pressure is naturally applied into the fence as well as down on the sled. To use the jig, make sure your fence is set flush with the cutter bearing. The jig’s length can be adjusted to suit any router table. Cut the pivot block from the blank. sheet stock—multi-ply works best. I did some research on dovetail router bits and I think the ideal bit would be the Freud bit number 22-128, which has a 1/4" shank, a 14 degree angle and has 7/8" of carbide cutting edge and the total bit legth is 2-3/8 inches. Annual Router Special: Plunge Routers! deeper cut. Use 1/2-in. First, you’ll experience the joy of building a useful shop fixture from nothing more than some scrap wood and a good idea. Building a Shop-Made Table Saw Dovetail Sled Jig. With a piloted bit, make sure the slide clears the bearing and touches the cutter. Hits: 15623 ... After the jig was made I took my sample corner, adjusted my dovetail bit in the router table as best I could and began to run the first cut. Species with natural resilience, such as oak, ash or hickory, make the best springboards. Now cut on the waste side of each … The two screws, in 3/8-in.-16 and 3/8-in.-20 sizes, have different thread pitches that produce different rates of adjustment. My plywood was slightly bowed so I needed to ensure that the angle was correct and the wood was straight. The second thing I would spend more time with is trying to find a dark colored wood with a much finer grain, and preferably something that is quarter sawn. Not really, it still takes time, setting, and re-setting and running pieces of wood through until you get one that fits. Making the jig is a straightforward bandsaw project (see the pattern below). Now, rout the joints Cut your project parts to size with square ends—and a couple of extra pieces for testing setups. Hold the sled firmly against the fence while you make the cut. Finally, this rare issue of American Woodworker (Digital Issue) magazine can be yours! Adjust the opening and overall dimensions as needed to match your router table. Improve your accuracy and control with these 5 router jigs. By retracting the cap screw in small increments, you move the fence backward to slowly reveal more of the cutter or forward to reduce bit exposure. However, this does not impact our recommendations. Forstner bit. After the jig was made I took my sample corner, adjusted my dovetail bit in the router table as best I could and began to run the first cut. There was no sawdust, just chips of wood and some of them large. Let the slide drop to the table and lock. Select a straight-grained board and lay out the springboard so its thin middle section follows the grain direction exactly. This trammel uses interchangeable arms to create circles and arcs of different diameters. This unusual jig—a bow-like affair with a clamp pad on each end—can be secured to the fence or tabletop and employed in place of a featherboard. The short arm has two pivot holes and three mounting holes. It can handle jobs as varied in size as the small plug you see in the photo at right and the broad arc on the base of a wide cabinet. I lowered the router bit and tried again, still to high so I lowered it slightly again and the final cut went through as it should. Apply the self-stick tape rule at the bottom. Dovetail Jig for a Router Table | Popular Woodworking Magazine. Depth Gauge. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Second, you’ll enjoy the money you’ll save. Score a line on the face of the acrylic over the 0-in.