Mix in the 2nd cup of flour, at a low speed, and mix on low until the flour is incorporated. I’ve never commented on recipe threads before but am so excited about your blog! To assemble a 2-layered cake: spread half of the chia jam on the top of one cake layer. For more layers, repeat the cake recipe, as is. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl well to get any hidden dry ingredients. I wanted this cake to be bursting with dark chocolate and strawberry flavor. The recipe also includes buttermilk, which makes the cake layers moist and tender. Loved it. I made this using the small batch recipe and 3 x 6 inch tins but didn’t manage to get the 6 layers as came out quite thin the layers. Prepare the Frosting: Beat butter with a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. How to Make a Chocolate Strawberry Cake. Change the mixer speed to low and add in the boiling water. Question….would it be okay to switch the fresh strawberry powder for a Quik-strawberry powder. For that reason, I decided to exclude it from my small batch recipe. More layer = more chocolate = more strawberries = more goodness (= more to share and more for you )! Pipe dollops of ganache over the edge of the cake and then add dollops of frosting to the edges of the cake. I am so happy to hear that Thank you so much!! Hi I love watching you videos!! Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, add the chocolate chips to a heat safe bowl. Place strawberries into the dollops of frosting. I’m a beginner (hobby) baker, and am looking forward to recreating this delicious and beautiful cake! It is very rich so I only use a single layer at a time. I’m Kaylie and welcome to the place where all things scrumptious live! Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. Wich one will taste better? Oh, man!!! Just fixed this…so sorry. Definitely going to make this cake for Valentine’s Day for my family! I didn’t have any issues with the cake supporting itself (the cake layers have pretty good structure), but you might want to insert a central dowel to make it easier to frost! Get my free cake decorating guide! In my opinion, it’s by far and away the best way to make strawberry frosting. Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean. We love for you to share our ideas, but require a link back to us for credit. This allows you to pack twice as much filling into this cake. It’s a hybrid between light and fluffy, and dense and fudgy, with fresh strawberries and strawberry jam on top. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula, to ensure the flour is fully incorporated. When making the cake layers, cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is very fluffy and almost white in color. I love creating dessert recipes that are easy to make, don’t require a lot of time or fancy equipment, and most of all, taste like the less nutritious desserts you love. Wait for the ganache to set, about 15 minutes. I use the words interchangeable Hope that makes sense, this is the recipe I used to make the cake in that tiktok video! I’d say you can generously frost about 3 dozen cupcakes with that amount (piping big swirls). Super great recipe! It definitely wasn’t the flavor I was after. Place the pans in the freezer for about 45 minutes, to accelerate the cooling process. Two days in advance should be fine as long as the strawberries you use are super fresh and properly dried off! Heat heavy cream in a heatproof bowl in the microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until gently bubbling. I wanted to ask, how many nine inch pans would this recipe make? I skipped the oil and did it with applesauce. Fresh whole strawberries make a pretty topper, but to make this dessert even more impressive, arrange a few chocolate-dipped strawberries on the cake before slicing and serving it. It adds tons of real fruit flavor into the frosting, without throwing off the consistency! I like to slice cakes by the slice that way I can take out a piece or two out of the freeze when I want cake. Once the cakes are cooled, place the first layer on the cake board. It wasn't too sweet but airy. I live in Australia and I cannot get any freeze dried strawberry powder or even any freeze dried strawberry’s nearby without delivery which i do no have the time for. My cakes are in the oven as I type this. Spread a small amount of frosting on a cake board to help hold the cake in place. Other than that, perfect! It worked fine. This recipe makes 6-7 cups of frosting (it varies based on how much air gets beaten into the frosting). I top with a variety of fruits including strawberries, raspberries, blue berries & kiwi. The recipe is correct. I know you recommend using half a batch of batter for cupcakes, I was just wondering how many cupcakes that would make? Give it a good stir with a rubber spatula or your kitchen aid, to get rid of any air bubbles that may have formed. Is this cake ok to make 2 nights in advance even with fresh strawberries? What consistency should I be looking for? I’ve noticed the brand you’ve used the pink colour from the strawberry powder comes up a lovely colour. The recipe says it needs dark cocoa powder. Want to ask If I can use a fresh strawberries instead? Hi Chels! Thanks for pointing that out Tammy! Preheat the oven and prepare the 3 baking pans with baking spray Your plan should work great! It seems like it would give the frosting a more chunky texture than it looks in these pics. I think there is a mistake in the ingredients list. Place the dark chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl, and set aside. As I was thinking ahead to Valentine’s day, I reminisced on the Valentine’s day cakes I’ve made in the past. But before we get into all that good stuff, let’s talk about each delicious component of this cake. I skipped the frosting all together and just dressed it up with ganache dribble, centered with strawberries and blueberries. Special dark chocolate cocoa powder; Baking Powder; Baking soda; Kosher salt; Eggs; Sour cream; Buttermilk; Water; Espresso powder; Canola oil; Vanilla extract; Unsalted butter; Powdered sugar; Strawberries; Semi sweet chocolate chips; Heavy whipping cream . It’s my favorite dessert I’ve ever made, an absolute showstopper. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat the frosting for about 3 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. I make 1/3 of the butter frosting recipe for the single layer, but keep the ganache the same. And, while the recipe calls for an egg (which is a great source of protein and lends to a smoother, creamier, texture), you could easily replace it with a flax egg, which gives you a great plant-based source of Omega-3’s. Your email address will not be published. Each single layer piece is still packed with flavor and allows for more servings with a large party. Is the powder naturally quite dark and then becomes much more light pink in Colour once added to buttercream mix? A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out with some wet dough on it. You can easily turn this chocolate strawberry cake into cupcakes. Add one cup of the frosting into the piping bag. No way too many calories for one slice of cake! Will make again. To take things up a notch, I also added diced strawberries on top of the strawberry buttercream. It was a disaster! The presentation was fabulous! Unlike traditional cakes or brownies, this layered cake is full of nutrients! Is there anything alternate that I can use that is slightly more mainstream? The only thing I had an issue with was that it felt like I had just enough frosting. The dough will be pretty thick. I don’t have any espresso powder, would it be ok without? Thank you for sharing!! Hope your cake turned out ok in the end!! I’m so sorry you didn’t like this cake. I haven't tried doubling or tripling it all at once, so I can't say if it comes out the same or not. Place the second cake layer on top. All Rights Reserved. As much as I’d like to have every single bite to myself, sharing is caring after all. With the same dark chocolate ganache drizzled inside the cake, I coated some strawberries and added a partial chocolate drip around each berry on top of the cake. As I remade this cake, I made a couple adjustments. Whisk together until smooth. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. As important as the cake layers are, the strawberry buttercream needed to be spot on. Beat butter with a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Learn how to season this Southern kitchen staple in five easy steps. Continue to frost the cake and then spread or drip ganache. I cant wait to make all these different recipes. This keeps it from sticking to the plastic wrap. I’m a Registered Dietitian with a mission to make desserts as nutritious as they are delicious! Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. I like to use a squirt bottle to add my drips, but you can also use a spoon! While I level cakes all the time, I don’t torte them very often. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in.