The weather and water were perfect and everyone caught fish. Our expert staff will also outline opportunities for sighting natural and historic landmarks and wildlife you may encounter. The lake averages about three kilometres in width. An expansive coastline dotted with islands, sounds, channels and fjords, British Columbia is a paddler's paradise. That was a great post Kevin! The guides main background was with conventional tackle and he was up front about that before hand. How to get there: From the planetarium in Vancouver, drive to the Canadian Coast Guard station and there is a public parking lot near by. Trip notes: A small wolf population resides on Vargas. You can launch from the coast guard station. There are also campgrounds available for an overnight stay. How to get there: There are several put-in points and areas to get out of the water, including Barnet Marine Park, Admiralty Point Beach, Belcarra Park, Deep Cove, Jug Island Beach, Racoon Island Beach, Twin Islands, Thwaytes Landing, Berg’s Landing and Granite Falls. We hope to see you on the river in April of 2021! Distance: There are three sections – 10 kilometres, 12 kilometres and 10 kilometres – which can be done separately or together. Water Information. How to get there: From Quesnel, travel about 80 kilometres down Highway 26 and turn left at the well-marked turn off for Bowron Lakes. Description: A relatively sheltered route that skirts along smaller islands, Vargas Island makes for a great weekend trip. Most of the fish were caught with the kreelex flies or crayfish patterns. You would have been fine. Most of the guys I was fishing with were probably older than you Howard. Gary definitely gave us plenty of time on the water.  View the information listed from the United States Geological Survey regarding water flow and depth for the Dan River. We hope to see you on the river in April of 2021! While this should not dissuade visitors, you're strongly encouraged to store food in the caches or hang from a tree, and advised against bringing pets. Once you land in Saltery Bay, drive another 10 kilometres and you’ll see the entrance sign on the right side of the road. To start your journey, take a ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, and then catch the next ferry from Earls Cove to Saltery Bay. Distance: If you’re looking to paddle around Hornby Island, the distance is about 25.5 kilometres. James River Adventures is closed for the 2020 season. Never Kayaked Before? Johnstone Strait. Distance: The island itself is about 35 kilometres from end to end, if you wish to paddle around the island or down one of its coasts. How to get there: Take Highway 3 west from Fernie and turn south at Jaffray. We have an assortments of kayaks and gear available to rent. health and future while having fun and enjoying its beauty. Thanks for sharing. Difficulty: The circuit is not for a beginner, as it takes more than one day to complete, you need to be experienced in camping from a canoe or kayak and parts of the circuit contain swift-moving water. Description: The Bowron Lakes circuit has been rated as one of the Top 10 canoe trips in the world. Description: Kayaking the Salish Sea provides plenty of opportunities to see wildlife and take in the beautiful scenery. How to get there: Take Egmont Road for about six kilometres, until you reach the parking lot. Location: The southern-most tip of Pitt Lake is situated about 40 kilometres east of downtown Vancouver. Description: The Lower Elk River provides gorgeous scenery and a heart-pounding experience. Location: Vargas Island lies northwest of Tofino, Vancouver Island. There are three sections of water that make up this group of lakes. It's a short 3 kilometres to reach the island's southeastern shoreline, which paddlers can then follow to the wide and sandy Ahous Bay. I'm done with the head cam mount. Pictured above is My Passion Media's official truck, customized by Cap-It. How to get there: There is a launch site behind the Lund Hotel, but it can be busy with boat traffic in the summer months so take care. How to get there: Put in at Tofino's government wharf/First Street dock. Location: The Salish Sea includes the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Strait of Georgia, Puget Sound and all of the surrounding channels and adjoining waters. If you are in the water, you will get carried along by the current so all day tubing adventures or extended float times are not available. However, there is a cost to launch at the lodge. There are four provincial marine parks along the lake – at Raven Creek, Dark Creek, Osprey Creek South and Osprey Creek North. There are campsites along the way and several islands to explore. For those who really want to relax. Description: Discovery Island is perfect for those looking for a quick paddle without going too far from home. Difficulty: Paddling around Gabriola Island offers something for everyone – from calm waters and ventures to other islands, to more tricky trips, such as the Gabriola Passage at the island’s north end where the currents can run fast and create whirlpools and rip curls. The General Dan Tubing Co. Location: This group of islands is located in Barkley Sound, between Ucluelet and Bamfield. Description: D’Arcy Island attracts many paddlers, with its beautiful beaches, stunning Gulf Island scenery and sheltered campground. These are located on the northern end of the island. The guides name was Gary from, The fish did cooperate and I had some luck with a new fly. Credit: Flickr/University of Exeter . The islands each have campsites available, as well as sandy beaches that are sheltered from the roaring surf. This is the ultimate float tube with mesh bottom and backrest. Description: This hidden gem is known as one of the finest canoe trips in the province. Here is a video I made. This section of the river provides a spectacular view as the river winds through riffles, pools and rock ledges. Wilderness camping is permitted, and facilities are limited to six pit toilets and five food caches. How to get there: You can launch your kayak from either Lund Harbour or Okeover Harbour Government Docks. The current is slow but very strong. From Denman Island, you can paddle to Sandy Island Marine Provincial Park, three small islands known as the Seal Islets, Chrome Island or all the way to Hornby Island when the winds are calm. Rafting companies can lower their boats into the river, but kayakers will need to scramble down a steep path with the boat in hand. Tube the Dan River. I have some ideas I just need to experiment. This is the start of the route, Lois Lake. Location: An island laying just off the coast of Nanaimo/Cedar, Vancouver Island. Distance: There is over 400 kilometres of international shoreline to explore. Grey whales often frequent the Ahous Bay area. I still work on that every time I film something. Since adding this tube for the 2008 season we have seen increasing demand for this extremely comfortable tube especially among more mature tubers. There isn’t a lot of fresh water on the islands, so be sure to bring your own. Distance: Distances from the following points to Discovery Island: Cattle Point, 5.3 kilometres; Oak Bay Marina, 5.8 kilometres; Gyro Park, 6.98 kilometres; Telegraph Cove, 7.5 kilometres. How to get there: Take Highway 3, south of Fernie. Those looking for an adventure could travel to the ocean side of the group. You can travel through 116 kilometres without backtracking, and end up exactly where you started. I'd love to join in but at my age I'd need a chauffeur. How to get there: The Powell Forest Canoe Route can be tricky to get to. Difficulty: This river is identified as a class III, meaning not for an inexperienced kayaker. There’s a maximum time limit of 14 days to complete the circuit. Distance: The island is about 14 kilometres long. Mainly beetlespins. I have a post coming with that soon. Image Via: Emerald Lake, British Columbia (Yoho) RCfotostock, Credit: flickr.com/photos/phoenixwolfray/, Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/royluck/, Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrythomasen/. Due to the nature of the Dan River in this area, it is almost impossible to stop on or along the river or river banks. How to get there: The Salish Sea stretches from Desolation Bay to Oakland Bay. How to get there: You can get the Murtle Lake off Highway 5 at Blue River. Difficulty: From class III to class V waters – for experienced paddlers only. Description: If you’re looking for a hair-raising adventure, this is it. Difficulty: More adventurous paddlers can run north up the lake to the mouth of the Kootenay River and visit the Kootenay Trout Hatchery. Difficulty: With calm weather, this is a relatively relaxing and easy paddle. Description: The Thompson is accessible all year, but the best time is during the late summer and early fall when the water levels are low. This glacial river runs through a deep canyon and contains the longest section of whitewater in the Canadian Rockies. Copyright © Explore Magazine. We hired a guide and for many of us this was our first experience with one. Distance: The entire chain of lakes is 116 kilometres long and can be done in a few days. There are many islands and coves that make up the Desolation Sound Marine Provincial Park, perfect for exploring. Description: Pitt Lake offers beautiful scenery just outside the city. Information for tubing the Dan River with General Dan and the Danbury General Store. We have never had a bad interaction with an animal on our float trips. Difficulty: Opposing current and wind conditions can create dangerous wave conditions. It takes the average paddler about five days. What I suspected was that his knowledge of the river is really what we were paying for. Distance: The Salish Sea extends about 18,000 square kilometres around the southeast end of Vancouver Island. You’ll get to Denman Island first, and a second ferry will take you over to Hornby Island.