Place 1 package active dry yeast and 2 teaspoons … Let the loaves rise, covered, for 1 hour. Learn how your comment data is processed. Dust the top with a little extra flour and cover very loosely with plastic wrap. 1 tablespoon salt. Too much flour and your bread will be too dense! Spread 2 tablespoons of butter on the inside of the bottom half of the bread. If you said Miami, I could understand the mistake but there is no historical connection to Key West. Place the water/yeast/sugar mixture in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Use a sharp knife to cut a shallow seam down the middle of the top of the bread, leaving about two inches of uncut top on each end of the loaf. Yellow Bliss Road, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Flip and repeat until sandwich is crispy and hot. free email bonusTested, Tasted & Terrific! Layer the Swiss cheese on both halves of bread – this creates your “glue” for the meats and pickles. Directions Step 1 It was only ever called a Cuban by Saxons who saw Cubans making and eating them. Deselect All. Add the rest of the warm water and the salt. Have to say, after making this bread I just know it's a winner in my families view. After 15 minutes, lower the heat to medium-high. Now let the machine and the dough hook go to work kneading the dough. The Cuban Sandwich By PJ Hamel Brush or spray the rolls with water, and slash one long lengthwise slit down the middle of each. If you can't find Cuban bread, a french loaf would be an appropriate substitute. Gradually add the flour mixture, a little at a time, to the wet ingredients in your mixer -- mixing constantly. Smear more butter all over the outside of the sandwich, then wrap it in aluminum foil, press it, and grill it up! Place the bowl in a warm place and let it stand until it starts to foam and double in volume, about 10 minutes. 1 1/2 pounds flour, plus more if necessary It moved North with the cigar business to Tampa, Florida in the mid-1880s. I'm a busy wife and mom who loves to cook, bake and create. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm place. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Flip the dough ball a few times to grease it up on all sides. Keep adding a little flour and a little lard until all of the lard is added. Sprinkle some flour on the dough and use a rolling pin to roll it out. And the mixto was being made in Ybor City when Miami was still swampland. Easy, approachable and family friendly recipes for any home cook. Meanwhile, measure out 1/4 cup of lard Heat in the microwave until melted. The loaves may be made one day in advance and stored at room temperature, or several weeks in advance and frozen. BUT:( I prefer 4 smaller ones for individual rolls)Sprinkle more flour on the dough and turn it over a few times as you roll it out, to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. 32 %. So we try to roll out a 12 x 20-inch rectangle. Allow the machine to complete its cycle. You might want to do some research, as the “mixto” does not come from Cuba, and there is almost no connection to Key West at all. If you love this Cuban Sandwich Loaf Recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below or add a picture on Pinterest with the “tried it” button. Layer the Swiss cheese on both halves of bread. Bake the bread for about 30 minutes, or until it's golden brown. Save any leftover flour mixture for rolling out the dough. 1 pint ice water. Easy Cuban Sandwich Loaf Recipe. Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Also invented in Ybor City, and the only true Cuban bread comes from the LaSegunda bakery in Ybor City, who ships their bread to Miami and Key West for the sandwich makers there. At the same time you are adding flour, gradually pour in the melted lard. Talk about your grown up grilled ham & cheese. “Authentic” Cuban sandwich? All that being said, they ate all delicious, even if not all are truly “Authentic”! So had to try it out for myself to see what all the hype is about. I can never find Cubano Bread like you get in Miami with the famous Cuban Sandwich. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. (Cut the sandwich in half and wrap separately if cooking on the stovetop. The dish consists of lengthwise sliced Cuban bread, roasted pork, glazed ham, Swiss cheese, thin slices of dill pickles, and, according to some sources, mustard. Preheat the oven to 375°F while the loaves are rising. You have not lived until you've had one of those babies! Take a small bowl and dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup of warm (110 degrees F) water Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise, with a turn, as directed above. Cut the sandwich at an angle into smaller portions and serve while warm. You will use approximately 3 1/4 cups of sifted flour to bring the dough to this point. This is also true for what we know as Cuban bread. All of the recipes and tips you will find here are created with your busy family (and mine!) MIXER METHOD: Combine the ingredients as directed at left, using a flat beater paddle or beaters, then switch to the dough hook(s) and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Brush the top of the loaf with water and place in your preheated oven on the middle shelf. I can never find Cubano Bread like you get in Miami with the famous Cuban Sandwich. Preheat a large cast iron skillet, or griddle over medium heat. Take your measuring cup and sift together the two flours. 11 %, teaspoons yeast (instant or active dry), (can substitute 3 tablespoons fresh lard, cut into small pieces). Heat your grill to high and close the lid. 1 ounce shortening (lard or vegetable) 1 ounce (4 packets) dry yeast. Using the dough hook, mix on low speed until blended. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Spread the remaining butter all over the outside of the sandwich, then wrap it in aluminum foil and press down gently. Bread Ingredients 3/4 cup Warm Water 1 tbsp Sugar 1 package Instant Yeast 1 tbsp Salt 3 tbsp Lard 2 1/4 cups Flour 1 tbsp Cornmeal 1 pc Water in a spray bottle