I actually had to thin mine a little bit to make it drizzle-able. We’re not really canning the caramel to shelf stable during this process, so any glass jar with a tight lid should be just fine. Dear Amber, That would not last long! Not exactly what I had in mind either. It’s a long 8 hours, but totally worth it! Wow. I couldn’t believe it, but it was so easy and delicious! Place lid on crockpot. Well, I think you better start by making this caramel & then putting it on all those things you are thinking about . Close with lids and rings. Hope this helps! It’s definitely a great combo! Optional if using canning jars: Divide the sweetened condensed milk from cans into small canning jars. No part of the jar or can should be out of the water at any time! THank you for the recipe. This is such an awesome (and less messy) idea! i dont know anything about canning really so excuse me if this is a no brainer. Cook jars on low for 7-8 hours. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. We won't send you spam. It makes for a super easy, no fuss caramel dipping sauce. Enjoy! You will cover the whole cans/jars with water in the crock pot and you don’t want the water getting into the condensed milk, which is why they have to be sealed. Mine came out nowhere near as dark as the picture I have it in canning jars now, I wonder if I can cook it longer in the crockpot to get it darker. There are also a few demos on youtube how to do it too. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Or if it’s in the canning jar is that left open also? (Check occasionally to make sure water hasn’t gone down over jars.). If using mason jars, pour condensed milk into the jar(s) top with lid(s) & and tightly close with canning ring(s). lol! You can just put them in a crock and cook the same! I hope you find something you like! I also had the same problem- it did not darken at all! have you ever tried with different sized jars? Kate, this post reminded me of being a kid and making caramel apples {homemade} wow, that took me back. No part of the jar or can should be out of the water at any time! Trying to can these in a hot water bath without refrigerating the cans would put you at risk for botulism once consumed. So really, think of your sister and make this caramel in a crockpot. What’s your favorite way to enjoy caramel? I think it will still take close to 8 hours. I’m so excited you’ve come across this site. Optional: canning jars with lids and rings, La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk (Pack of 6), Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 Ounce, Outside the Box Papers Stripe and Polka Dot Candy Dipping Cups 48 Pack, Perfect Stix Wooden Candy Apple Skewer StickSemi Pointed (Pack of 100), Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies », This Homemade Apple Pie is the Best Fall Recipe, Cherry Coke Cupcakes are a Fun Afternoon Treat, How to Make Apple Donuts at Home {Easy Recipe}, Caramelized Banana Pudding is a Decadent Dessert, 2-4 cans sweetened condensed milk depending on the size of crockpot. I made this to top my homemade vanilla bean ice cream. Place jars in crockpot. visit your favorite Michigan orchards and cider mills. Allow to cool until they are warm to the touch (1-2 hours). It’s a fantastic dip for apples, including these fried apple rings, or as a topping for ice cream! NOTE: When finished cooking, the dulce de leche will be set like custard. Gather the following supplies: Crockpot, 2 small (8 ounce) canning jars with lids, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, Sea Salt (optional). It’s very important that no part of the can should be out of the water during the cooking process. I have a dumb question. True story:  If forced to choose between caramel and chocolate, I will choose caramel every single time, hands down. My taste buds can’t tell the difference. Home canning only works with high acid foods, and caramel or chocolate sauces are definitely not in that category. I also have seen this and wondered if it really worked – now that I see it does what’s stopping me from trying it? Also, your pictures look really great too! Refrigerate. I love dipping my apples into carmel. Looks like I will have to do this with my kids . It’s … If you heat it up I bet it would even work for caramel dipped apples. Welcome to Mommy Musings™ - I'm Stefanie Fauquet and my passions are food & family travel! Wipe the sticky goodness off the top of the jars. Not exactly what I had in mind. Split can of sweetened condensed milk between two small canning jars. Well, I found some of those too and they were a little intense and involved standing over the stove for long periods of time. I love dark chocolate caramel with sea salt….so amazing.. Make sure to add fresh whipped cream on top! The canning jars may appear to seal but the caramel will NOT be shelf stable–it should be stored in the refrigerator! SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FOR A STREAMLINED HOME LIFE. La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk (Pack of 6)Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 OunceOutside the Box Papers Stripe and Polka Dot Candy Dipping Cups 48 PackPerfect Stix Wooden Candy Apple Skewer StickSemi Pointed (Pack of 100). I didn’t want to cook it in the can –. You can adjust all of your cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left hand side. Good luck! line with the sweetened condensed milk. Thank you for sharing your experience… found you through I Should Be Mopping the Floors…. canning jars are not available in nicaragua could i use an old glass jelly or pickle jar with the original lid? thanks for the quick reply. Log in. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. Copy There are instructions in the link below. You can review my full disclosure policy here. (Mine turned to caramel right at the end in the 8th hour, so don't freak out if it looks white for a really long time.). It took DAYS to clean up!!! Great for fruit, nuts and even pretzels. Caramel in a Crockpot. Follow the same steps. You can pour it into canning jars, or just wait the full 8 hours. Trying to can these in a hot water bath without refrigerating the cans would put you at risk for botulism once consumed. Design by Purr. I’m not sure who is. the only other option i have are baby food jars.. would the 8 hours be too much then? Step 2:  Place jars (or the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk) into crockpot and fill crockpot as full as you possibly can so that jars or can are completely submerged in the water. Last week I started googling “ways to make caramel”; most suggested going to the store buying caramel candies and melting them down. Enjoy this caramel as a dessert topping, on ice cream, apples, or simply by the spoonful! I do love the crockpot method though, even if it takes all day. I would have been biting my nails the entire time and after a couple of hours I would have thought that surely I had messed up somewhere! I would never have guessed it could be that easy. Learn how your comment data is processed. After cooling, refrigerate up to two weeks. Although the jars seem to be “sealed” they are not properly canned and need to be refrigerated. Have fun with it! This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. Unsubscribe at any time. You leave the cans shut & if you are using mason jars, you will add the lid & ring to seal it shut. Your email address will not be published. Fill each jelly jar up to the 6-oz. thats about as close as i can get. Then I stumbled across this idea that you could make caramel sauce in a crockpot and it is so easy and delicious I had to share it with you*. I’m not sure I believe it really makes a difference, but since it wasn’t that much extra effort, I just went ahead and used canning jars instead of the can itself. My crockpot has a clear lid, so it’s slightly easier to check. Enter your name and email and get the weekly newsletter... it's FREE! Will this harden enough to use on caramel apples? What’s your favorite way to enjoy caramel? I always put the condensed milk in glass jars with the lids on and onder water and then in the slowcooker 8 hours high. I could spoon some from the jar in the fridge & it stayed on my spoon & it is absolutely perfect for dipping apples in for a snack. One can of this mixed with homemade whipped cream makes a delicious dip for apples! Good luck! I have an AMAZING (like could be my best one ever) recipe for Caramel Apple Baked Oatmeal to share with you tomorrow so stay tuned for that, but now I want to share this incredibly easy way to make caramel in a crockpot. Learn how your comment data is processed. Like seriously addicted. What should I do if I open it and it’s not done? GOOD! One time I made real caramel for a 4-H cooking experiment, the experiment ended with a first degree burn on my finger, intense screaming, nearly blinding my sister, and a nice “beauty scar” for her just below her eye. Get a free planner to save time and money. I was having a little ice cream party for some girls I plan activities for, & finally got the chance to make this caramel for that. Step 1:  (Optional) Divide the sweetened condensed milk from 2 cans equally into 3 small canning jars. This means if you go through my affiliate links to make a purchase I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. powdered milk is on my next shopping list! This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. I have adapted it for the crock pot. Now I get to eat lots of apples and dip. Pour can of sweetened condensed milk into two canning jars, dividing evenly. would i still need the butter? Welcome!! Although I was nervous the first 7 hours of the cooking time, it actually turned to caramel in the 8th hour & IT. These products can only safely be canned in a professional processing facility with specialized equipment and usually the use of preservatives. Tip: Store dulce de leche in the refrigerator. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. They are still really fun to give away as gifts, but make sure the recipient understands to keep it refrigerated & consume it within a couple weeks; writing an “expiration date” & refrigeration reminder on top the the lid might not be a bad idea as well. Maybe there is nothing wrong with overcooking it?? How easy is that!? (Do NOT open the can until after it's cooked.). I have been wanting to try your homemade sweetened condensed milk and now I might have to try it and make this with it! Close jars with lids and rings. Place cans of unopened sweetened condensed milk into the crockpot and fill with water, as full as possible, so the cans are completely submerged. Use this free meal planner to save money and your sanity! Allow dulce de leche to cool on the counter until it reaches room temperature before opening. I suppose the title of the post— Crockpot Caramel — is slightly misleading as this recipe is actually for Crockpot Dulce de Leche — a creamy sugar and milk-based confection that's very similar to caramel. This is important! Use as a topping for ice-cream, as a dip for apples, or in recipes. Yup you sure can! NOTE: Cannot be canned, must be kept in refrigerator. I was wondering the same thing. Can’t wait to try this out. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am a caramel addict. This is where I share my favorite sweet and savory recipes alongside my knowledge and skills as a culinary graduate. Required fields are marked *. Amber, this looks so delicious! Top with lids and rings. I’m pinning for sure. I am a culinary graduate and dessert lover! Gather the following supplies: Crockpot, 2 small (8 ounce) canning jars with lids, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, Sea Salt (optional). How To Meal Plan: Guilt Free Meal Planning For Busy Moms, Live with Joy and Intention in Your Everyday Moments with Chasing Vibrance Academy, The BEST Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. I’ve been using my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Slow Cooker for several years and love it.