Yes of course! It's organic farming, and we don't use any kind of fertilizer. The farm, as we conceive it now, is a little different than what it was before. Our curricula are also available for parents looking for immersive engaging home-schooling content. For some experiences with a small group you may also interact with video if you like. And then we had the Hollywood production who said they were coming for three days, and they stayed three days. We can customize the virtual experience however you like. Your email address will not be published. NC: I have spent time away from Florence. With the banking we made most of our money, and that's how we started buying properties. The count is: Count Niccolò Capponi. You are welcome to interact during the experience; our expert will guide you. Regardless of whether you can physically travel to Italy or not these Live Experiences will transport you there from wherever you are in the world! Christopher Barnes: We are speaking with Count Sebastiano Capponi, and he is a winemaker from Greve in Chianti. Graduating Summa cum Laude in 1988, after a spell managing Villa Calcinaia, he returned to school obtaining a doctorate in Military History. Enjoy our a live zoom chat with our fascinating friend Count Niccolò Capponi. Of course, they probably found a middle ground for the money, but the episode became very popular during the reunification of Italy because it was brought as an example of an Italian fighting for his homeland, which wasn't the case back then because Italy was just a geographical expression in the 15th century, but, you know, it's good propaganda. Fill out our inquiry form, tell us about yourself and we will get back to you. This experience is appropriate for all ages. That's, I think, the best way to describe it. Today Villa Calcinaia is farmed organically. Please consider purchasing an extra guest spot on the experience. We've been organic for 15 years, but we got the certification ... We started the process of certification in 2011. The left bank of the River Greve is very much like Burgundy, it's a lot of clay and calcareous soil. You have the option to turn on your video and microphone to ask questions or you may use the chat function. We are a Florentine family. Your email address will not be published. In this unique online gastronomical experience, you’ll be captivated from the first minute with your charismatic host Count Capponi. I try to preserve what I got, and I try maybe to improve it. We have an archive and a painting gallery. Niccolò Capponi has appeared on a number of television documentaries, including the celebrated PBS ‘The Power of the Past‘, with Bill Moyers. I am a drinker myself, so the important thing for me is that bottles should be finished. How would you describe the Sangiovese that you produce? Break out of geographical constraints and jump from viewing masterpieces up close in the world’s greatest museums to going into iconic monuments where history was made. Check your local time at your location with this converter: https://www.thetimezoneconverter.com. Positive strides are being made in California's male-dominated wine industry. Capponi: Actually, the title of count is not the most important one that I carry. I would like Hannibal Lecter to become the family curator." You do not need these. Sometimes we will be cooking, other times tasting wines, other times just having a chat about Italy’s rich culture and where it stands in Europe and beyond. He has quite a colorful family history. We recommend getting comfortable with a good coffee of nice glass of wine depending on your preference. For the first time, history and food combine in this fun, follow-along Italian cuisine chat. I would come back at night. I don't drink wine outside of meals. Capponi is a part of Florence?s living history. Count Capponi has an ancestor who stopped the French king from invading Italy and his family estate was used as a set for the second Hannibal Lecter movie. Each Online Experience will have a unique link to an exclusive online webinar with our world-class experts, where not only will they take you around the world and back in time through their video, but you can ask questions via chat and even interact directly! So we had kind of a brain-storming meeting, and my brother called him back and said, "The family says 'yes' provided we're not on the main course.". Managed by: Alex Christopher Bickle: Last Updated: January 11, 2018 Do I need to download a software program or install anything? NC: For sure to 1215. NC: I have two daughters, Francesca and Ludovica; they are seven and five. And Piero Capponi's famous reply was, "If you're going to blow your trumpets, we're going to toll our bells and call the population to defend the city.". €20,00. Please see the Date & Times tab for details. In the question and answer part of the experience you can ask questions via audio or chat. We talk Hannibal Lecter, family history, and Chianti Classico with Count Capponi. Explore our Private Online Virtual Masterclasses & Experiences, Live Online Curricula for Schools, Universities & Colleges, Enjoyable Team Building Online Experiences and Incentives. You get to be in the same ‘room’ as our experts! These new experiences are live and interactive guided tours or masterclasses with one of our amazing experts. After earning a PhD in military history from the University of Padova, he returned to Florence, where he currently teaches political science and the history of Florence to Americans studying abroad. From an early age he developed a passion for history, stimulated by the presence of a substantial family archive. We just did a tasting with some 1968 and 1969, which were just beautiful, but it means that they are very, very approachable from a young age. My philosophy of winemaking is like the good, old family doctor. If you're looking for wines that are more in the blustery and more maybe big-shouldered, Greve is not the right place you should look for. As a B2B agent partner - work with us for great DMC services in Italy. Usually they did that in order to get money out of the city and not because they really wanted to conquer it. My youngest wasn?t impressed though; she said she wants to be a princess. If you’re separated from friends or family, plan a get together with a fun online experience on a topic or activity of your choosing! Our amazing experts are great at engaging with our dive in deep learning aided by fascinating visual presentations and virtually guided tours. Can my family join this virtual live experience? We will always ask permission beforehand. Our expert is in Italy (UTC +2) and times will depend on your location and time zone as well as the chef’s availability. One of your relatives prevented a war with France, is that correct? From a legal and bureaucratic point of view the 2014 vintage will be the first official certified organic also on the label. Enjoy connecting virtually with colleagues near and far. We had banks all over Europe. He also makes an appearance in the movie as one of the panel members for Dr. Fell's (Lecter's) selection as curator of the CAPPONI Library." Count Niccol? It was the good old days. The times on the booking calendar are a guide and will be confirmed and arranged with you upon booking. Yes, yes. After earning a PhD in military history from the University of Padova, he returned to Florence, where he currently teaches political science and the history of Florence to Americans studying abroad. If the patient is healthy, I don't do anything to it. There were new ideas, and buildings were being made and being made intelligently. It?s like a good dish that has been left in the fridge too long and everyone wants a taste and everyone remembers what a good dish it was and how it tasted, but it?s not the same. Fun activities for distanced friends and family to come together online. Florentines (whatever Florentines are left, that is) don?t seem to love their city. Team-building activities & incentives for colleagues and businesses, Online Curricula for schools, colleges & universities. It was actually a personal hold as money, so he gave the estate to extinguish the debt, so that's how we acquired the property in 1524. Count Niccolo Capponi: Birthdate: estimated between 1941 and 2001: Birthplace: Florence, Metropolitan City of Florence, Tuscany, Italy: Immediate Family: Son of Count Nero Capponi Brother of Count Sebastiano Capponi. A scion of one of Florence’s noble families, his family dates back to the 1200’s in Florence. I used to do a lot of pump overs, a lot of racking. Help us create work while Italy is under lock down. Whether you live in the States, the UK or here in Italy, our aim is to keep you connected to Florence through news, events, arts + culture, food + wine and much more. NC: Growing up, I was made to relate to my past, so I have always felt that connection. The bottles would be empty, but there was no product placement. We have different bloods because I'm a quarter Greek, one-eighth Swiss, a quarter Italian, and the rest is British. On top of that, we have a wicked sense of humour. NC: The problem with Florence is that it?s a nineteenth-century phenomenon, covered with this heavy Renaissance cloak. Gifts for a special occasion – book an online birthday party with us! We started with silk, moved into wool, then back to silk, then banking. Modern western history began here, in Florence. Part of it I think is that it's the place where I live. TF: What is their relationship to Florence? Join one of her online conversations with art at www.exploreflorence.it/formasideris and follow her on Twitter @italyalexandra and on Instagram @italyalexandra055. Count Sebastiano Capponi: Yes, well, it was an episode that goes back to 1494 when the king of France was on his way to Naples, and he decided to stop and lay siege to the city of Florence.