I think I'm happy. I'd like to be with you. It's proof that love is lacking, a gulf bridged by outside friendship... We're fine, Mathilde... We're happy together... that's all that matters. I think I'm happy. I think my fear is gone. Her Parisian flat accentuates this ascendancy of the physical look by the numerous mirrors on the walls. 9 Nov. 2020. Threaten by sickness, Cléo tries to find a shelter in her room where the idea of Death is excluded. Florence, 'Cléo Victoire': You are. I've never belonged to anyone... Antoine: Death is yellow and vanilla-scented. When she looks at herself in a mirror, she sees Cléo the singer and not Florence (her real name) the average girl. Star of my eyes, sunlight of my being, He accompanies her to the hospital, where she meets the doctor who will give her the results of the exam ». Florence, 'Cléo Victoire': You are. Actually, she tries to attract the gaze of the people in the café because she isn’t able to reflect her own face on the missing mirrors. Released in 1962 (one year after Breathless by Godard), this movie is not a typical French New Wave’s movie firstly because Varda is a woman but also because she wasn’t in the original crew of the French cineasts who wrote in the Cahiers du Cinéma. They go on about how lucky they are. She goes behind a curtain , takes another dress and put off her wig. Siedząc cicho w nogach łóżka, czekali, aż ludzkie łzy przestaną płynąć. Interestingly, in Greek, Dorothée is formed by doron (gift) and théos (God). In our town there was a barber shop for men only... run by a beautiful Alsatian woman... the lovely Mrs. Sheaffer. They have no idea what a hard day's like. Mathilde: [Reading a magazine] "Lose 10 pounds in two weeks on nothing but cucumbers and tea..."... You buy that? Avertissez-moi par e-mail des nouveaux commentaires. She goes back out and picks up her friend, who works as a nude model in a sculpture workshop. A Member Of The STANDS4 Network. But it is also a quasi-documentary depiction of Paris in the early 1960s. Lose half a pound and I'll throw myself under a bus... Mathilde: Then promise me something... just one thing: the day you don't love me anymore don't pretend you do. As Slant puts it, "Photographer-turned-director Agnes Varda is considered the archetypal girl who crashed the big boys' clubhouse, and Cléo from 5 to 7 was the film that paid her membership fee." “Je voudrais que l’histoire de Cléo, jeune femme blessée dans sa chair, et sans doute promise à la mort, beauté sans armes, esprit sans défense, que cette histoire touche les gens comme me touchent les peintures de Baldung Grien, où l’on voit de superbes femmes blondes et nues enlacées par des squelettes.” (Agnès Varda). Mir half die Zuneigung einer Katze, wieder Ja zum Leben zu sagen.”, “It didn't seem the right time to tell him where the worst monsters hide. Alone with Antoine, she starts to realize that the gaze is not a one-player game but a perpetual exchange. It made me feel sick. your own Pins on Pinterest Two brains from one tummy. With Corinne Marchand, Antoine Bourseiller, Dominique Davray, Dorothée Blanck. [a customer is trying to come in/door is locked]. “One of the many ways in which cats are superior to humans is their mastery of time. Antoine Quotes: [last lines] [in French, using English subtitles] Florence, 'Cléo Victoire': Why? Dr. B or : How I learned to stop worrying and love cinema, Quand les cinéastes font des clips: G. Noé, D. Lynch, G. Van Sant et Wong Kar Wai, Analysis « Cléo from 5 to 7 » by Agnès Varda, Analyse détaillée d' "Eyes Wide Shut" de Stanley Kubrick, Analyse "Cléo de 5 à 7" d'A. Changer ), Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Google. Antoine: I was around 12. Antoine: I'm sorry I'm leaving. Personally, I think it would be great if pregnant women were also called Queens. Antoine: My father said life was simple, that if you wanted something enough you'd get it... Failure was proof the desire wasn't strong enough. Cleo Quotes Showing 1-16 of 16 “Guilt isn't in cat vocabulary. https://www.quotes.net/movies/cleo_from_5_to_7_quotes_116495. PS: I put the link of a song by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra called « Paris Summer » whose lyrics match perfectly the last scenes of Cléo from 5 to 7. Indeed, Cléo is emprisoned in the men’s gaze whereas Dorothée is only gazed at to generates the imagination and creativity of the artist. 1) If Cléo is a famous singer, it is not because of her voice but because of her physcial appearance: she wears a wig, puts make-up and have an expensive garde-robe.In the street, she is an object of contemplation and she is conscious about it and like it. Florence, 'Cl?o Victoire': You are. Mathilde: I don't know how to dance to this music. "Some families sail through years with nothing touching them. I feel out of it. . When something goes wrong for them, and it does for everyone sooner or later, their trauma is much worse. . Learn vocabulary, terms, and more with flashcards, games, and other study tools. Literature/1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Cléo from 5 to 7 is the second movie of Agnès Varda. In this peculiar scene,  Cléo looks completely lost. Antoine: That summer, I realized I had to take good care of my balls. They conceal themselves cleverly inside our heads and wait for the moments we're at our most vulnerable - bedtime, or when we're sick or anxious.”, “A mother cat is rightfully called a Queen. Quotes.net. They welcome every pleasurable moment as it unravels and savour it to the full until a butterfly or falling leaf diverts their attention.