Your email address will not be published. It’s a Catch 22 isn’t it if you’re relying on Means Testing from these types of agencies, but the whole purpose of the I-864 is to prove that one would never have to get on assistance from these kinds of agencies. But did you know that you can also apply for the fee waiver for other case types? Select filing packages include an Immigration Lawyer Review conducted by an independent, licensed immigration attorney. U.S. The high cost of the U.S. citizenship application, Form N-400, may be giving you second thoughts about naturalization. Qualifying applicants receive a $320 discount on the N-400 application fee, paying only $405 (including biometrics) to, To request a fee reduction, file Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee with your N-400 naturalization application. Note that this is a different process than the. US Immigration Update (October 1, 2020): The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California granted the motion for preliminary injunction temporarily halting the implementation of USCIS final fee rule in its entirety and on a nationwide basis. The “File Right” mark and File Right logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America. This reform allowed low-income immigrants eligible for citizenship to use a standardized form to have their application fee waived. I’m thinking it’s similar with the I-912 fee waivers. Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker; 5. Further evidence suggests that this pattern is driven by immigration service providers, who help mostly poorer immigrants file the fee waiver request. All forms that can be completed online using our service are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. We employ a difference-in-differences methodology, comparing naturalization behavior among eligible and ineligible foreign-born before and after the policy change. What is considered means-tested benefits? You can also also apply for a fee waiver for ANY application or petition that is related to the status of the following: So I’m sure you’re wondering what a means-tested benefit actually is and how to prove it. Taking into consideration that fees could go up for many applications at any time, it's generally a good idea to prepare & file your Green Card or Citizenship applications sooner rather than later. First, you may be eligible for a fee waiver if a member of your household or you are receiving a government benefit because of your low income or assets. Try to be as specific as possible and provide as much details as you can. US immigration is certainly expensive, especially for those who earn less than 150% of the poverty guideline for their household size. It’s a way for the government to assess your income/resources to determine your eligibility and/or your benefit amount. I want to become a U.S Citizen but I can't afford $680 can that fee be waived? Form I-131, Application for Travel Document; 6. This amounts to about 73,000 immigrants per year gaining citizenship who would not have applied otherwise. We find that the fee waiver reform increased the citizenship rate by 1.5 percentage points. Review the eligibility and requirements before applying so that you don’t waste your time. If you meet the income requirement, I always recommend everyone to file for the fee waiver. Finally, you will need to provide documented evidence of financial hardship. The only downside is that they make it a little difficult and I’m sure it’s to weed out people who just don’t want to pay the fee. All Rights Reserved. Luckily, certain applicants qualify for a discounted fee—a full $320 less than the standard price. Biometric services fee 2. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for an attorney. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Institute for Research in the Social Sciences. We will update this webpage with information and guidance on further developments. Note that this is a different process than the Fee Waiver Request (Form I-912). To qualify for a complete waiver of fees, your income must be below 150 percent of the HHS poverty guidelines. Thankfully, USCIS understands this and waives the fee automatically for VAWA self petitioners. We simplify the process of completing U.S. immigration applications. If you are filing any one of the below forms, you can include the I-912 fee waiver request as well. So technically, these government workers work for us. Your browser is outdated and no longer supported by this website. Citizenship and Immigration Services offers fee reduction to immigrants at certain income levels. For those who cannot afford the high fees for filing a petition, there is a I-912 fee waiver available. T nonimmigrant (such as Forms I-192, I-485, and I-601); Temporary Protected Status (such as Forms I-131, I-821 and I-601); U nonimmigrant (such as Forms I-192, I-485, and I-929); or, VAWA self–petitioner (such as Forms I-485, I-601 and I-212), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/ Food Stamps), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), The form you want to waive the fee for is not eligible, You didn’t sign the I-912 (very common mistake), You didn’t provide financial hardship evidence, You didn’t meet household income requirement. Sometimes I wonder why that is and whether they want to discourage applicants from filing the fee waiver form. You will need to show that you truly are not able to pay any fee that is required to file the petition you need. Form EOIR-29, Notice of Appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals; Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card; Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker; Form I-131, Application for Travel Document; Form I-191, Application for Advance Permission to Return to Unrelinquished Domicile; Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant; Form I-193, Application for Waiver for Passport and/or Visa; Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status; Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility; Form I-694, Notice of Appeal of Decision; Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence; Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization; Form I-817, Application for Family Unity Benefits; Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status; Form I-881, Application for Suspension of Deportation; Form N-300, Application to File Declaration of Intention; Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings; Form N-400, Application for Naturalization; Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes; Form N-565, Application for Replacement of Naturalization/Citizenship Document; Form N-600, Application for Certification of Citizenship; and. The fee is $680, or $595 if you are over 75 years old. However, Supplemental Social Security Income (SSI) is considered a means-tested benefit. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or any other government agency. Then I quickly realized that the U.S. government doesn’t make anything simple and easy to find.