Use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry mix until it is broken down into fine crumbs. Made with almond flour, they are also gluten-free. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, mix together the sweetener and the cinnamon for the topping. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish. Pipe the glaze along the scone in a zig-zag pattern. You can also freeze them in freezer bags. Transfer the scones to the lined baking sheet. Filed Under: Breakfast Tagged With: Chai, Cinnamon, Clean Eating, Healthy Recipes, Scones, Sticks Scratch Kitchen, Yum! Sometimes Saturday morning calls for an indulgent, fluffy, cinnamon-sweet scone to accompany a fresh brewed mug of hot coffee. The flavor of the stevia comes through more, perhaps because it’s not masked by orange zest. Enjoy. To make the topping, stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. After I made keto scones, which were a HUGE success even with my high-carb-eating teenage testers, my daughter asked if I would be willing to make a cinnamon version. Recipes developed by Vered DeLeeuw, CNC Nutritionally reviewed by Rachel Benight MS, RD, CPT. Begin by moving the oven rack to the center of the oven. Mix to a soft but not sticky dough with knife. Tip the contents of the bowl out onto a work surface dusted lightly with flour. Gently pat and round each half into a 5" to 5 1/2" circle about 3/4" thick. It is calculated using the SparkPeople.com recipe calculator and the carb count excludes sugar alcohols. For the topping: cinnamon and a granulated sweetener. Don’t eat them cold, though. Also, try to handle it as little as possible to prevent it sticking! Remove the scones from the oven and let cool 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. If the dough is still sticky, add a little all-purpose flour a tablespoon or two at a time until the dough is no longer sticky. Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into 8 triangles. These cinnamon raisin scones have brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins added to the dough. Mix until well incorporated. Once completely cool, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. Brush the tops of the scones with a thin layer of beaten egg (or milk) - try to make sure the glaze doesn't drip down the sides of the scone as this can prevent them rising. I use blanched finely ground flour. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Once frozen, slide them off the tray into a sandwich bag and pop back into the freezer for up to 3 months. Using yogurt and 1/3 of the typical amount of butter does result in more cakey than flakey scones, but trust me, they are still very scrumptious! Do not try to mix more flour into the dough as you’ll throw off the ratios of ingredients in the recipe resulting in dry, dense scones. Bake until the scones are firm and golden, 15-17 minutes. They have a tender crumb and delicious flavor, and I found myself reaching for seconds after I finished one of them. Transfer the scones to a wire cooling rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. Cook 15 to 17 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the tops and edges. Form the dough into a roughly ¾” tall circle and cut into 6 equal pieces. Let the scones cool for at least 20 minutes. We want the scones to be completely cool before we ice them, otherwise the glaze will melt. Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Stir together very briefly to form a messy, sticky dough with some floury patches remaining. Preheat oven to 425°F. Want some more breakfast inspiration? Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, pecan meal, pecans and cinnamon chips. You can play around with add-ins as well, folding in grated cheddar cheese for a cheese scone or some soaked sultanas for a fruit scone. Want the new recipes in your inbox. Serve warm with clotted cream, or butter, and jam. On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a ¾" tall circle. My goal is to share my tried and true as well as my new healthy recipes with you! Once the scones are completely cool, test by dabbing a bit of glaze on the top of the scone. If you like these Chai Spiced Scones with Cinnamon Glaze, let us know! Have you made this recipe?I’d love to see how it went! A classic scone is the perfect tea-time snack, served with clotted cream (or salted butter, as I prefer!) You can also make a quick piping bag, if desired, by transferring the glaze to a small Ziploc bag, push the glaze to one corner of the bag, and snip a small triangle from the bag. Line (or lightly grease) a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the circle into sixths to form six triangular scones. Roll out gently until it's around. Spread the dough into a circle, cut it into triangles, sprinkle them with cinnamon “sugar,” and bake. She reminded me of one of her favorite childhood weekend breakfasts – tortilla French toast (basically, tortillas fried in butter and dusted with cinnamon sugar). In a large mixing bowl, with a large spatula or a fork, mix together the almond flour, cinnamon, … Add the powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking to incorporate. Yes, you can make scone dough the night before you want to bake them. Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors, so you should independently verify it. Keyword Chai, Cinnamon, Scones… The process is simple: You mix almond flour with cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. And this keto zucchini bread is one of my favorite breakfasts. But check the dough. Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. If the glaze melts the scones are still too hot. If that sounds like Heaven to you, then give these Chai Spiced Scones with Cinnamon Glaze a try! Stir together. Not exactly. These fluffy, cinnamon-sweet Chai Spiced Scones with Cinnamon Glaze are made with whole wheat and all purpose flour, plain low-fat yogurt, maple syrup, almond milk, a delicious blend of chai spices, and a smidge of butter. This can actually provide a better rise to your scones as the flour has more time to absorb the liquid in the dough, plus the buttery bits in the dough re-solidify, which both help produce a better texture. Brush each circle with a bit of water or milk, and sprinkle with the topping. They are more tender and more flavorful. From Mary Berry to the BBC, every scone recipe will vary slightly but the ratios are usually pretty similar and rely on the simple ingredients of plain flour, milk, butter and baking powder. Delightful cinnamon scones are wonderfully tender and so very flavorful. Pat the shaggy dough out into a rough rectangle about, Now dust your dough rectangle with flour on top and underneath. Next, you combine the two mixtures into a smooth dough. Then, in another bowl, you mix an egg with butter, stevia, and vanilla. I started Stick's Scratch Kitchen to share my love of healthy food with you! :), Copyright © 2020 Sticks Scratch Kitchen on the Foodie Pro Theme. Unlike my blueberry scones, which are seriously very close to the real thing, these are a bit different. Please read the disclaimers in our. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Some people like using buttermilk but, as it is often hard to find, I prefer to simply thin some natural yoghurt with water (in a 50:50 ratio) to use instead of milk sometimes. Check out these recipes! You can use your hands at the last stage of mixing. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk. You can use a granulated sweetener instead if you can’t stand stevia, including granulated sugar or coconut sugar if you don’t mind the carbs. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! See you in the kitchen! It nearly eliminates the bitter aftertaste typical to stevia products. Just keep an eye on them, they can go from perfect golden brown to a little too crispy in a second haha! You can bake the dough straight from frozen, at the usual temperature, for 20-25 minutes. Having said that, these cinnamon scones are excellent. Tag me on instagram @izyhossack and hashtag it #topwithcinnamon so I can have a look & reshare in my stories! Course Breakfast. I have traditionally only used unsalted butter in my scone recipes, but I do want to try vegan/plant-based butter in a batch to see if they perform as well. But any butter is delicious. Vanilla extract: Try to use the real thing – pure vanilla extract – and not the artificially flavored stuff. Sprinkle the triangles with the cinnamon sugar. Copyright © 2020. It wasn’t difficult to adapt the basic recipe and create a cinnamon-flavored version. It’s easy to make, delicious, and healthy. *Using self-raising flour: If you don't have baking powder to hand, just replace the plain flour & baking powder with 360g (3 cups) of self-raising flour. Start by whisking the dry ingredients together. Make sure you’re using a lightly floured work surface and dust the top of the dough lightly with flour. I'm Jess, the recipe developer (aka kitchen destroyer), food photographer, and blogger behind the scenes of Stick's Scratch Kitchen. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then serve. Delicious served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Subscribe! Then add 2 tablespoons of cold, cubed unsalted or vegan butter.