Made a chocolate peanut butter frosting for it and it was moist and delicious . In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. I’m pretty much obsessed with chocolate and I love zucchinis… This is just too good!!! The cake is made with oil and butter, I like the combo. No! Melt the butter and let it cool down a little before adding it to the other liquid ingredients. This is a moist fudgy type cake. Your email address will not be published. P. S. My husband is very finicky about vegetables even when they're in breads or cakes and he really loves this cake. They loved it and asked for seconds!! Pour the chocolate ganache over the cooled cake and spread it evenly over the surface. Did you remember all of the ingredients? Add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Thanks for your super fast reply Elise. No need to use applesauce for some of the oil, either. King Arthur Baking Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. Beat until frosting is smooth and fluffy. Put your summer zucchini to good use and make this Chocolate Zucchini Cake. You'd never know there's zucchini in this ultra-moist, rich chocolate cake. Frost the cooled chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate frosting. Fold in the zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. This cake is moist, flavorful and delicious! This zucchini cake is so delicious no one will even guess it’s packed with a nutritious vegetable! As I commented above, the cake was delish and I found some orange extract to use instead and it was perfect!!! Is it 1/4 cup buttermilk or more than that? Thank you. very moist, will make it again. If you grate it and it seems moist after draining, you can always give it a good squeeze, reserving the liquid to add back to the batter if it turns out stiff. Read More, Your email address will not be published. Thanks! What a great way to use up larger zucchini! Delicious!! In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and espresso powder. I plan to use this frosting revise next time I make brownies. Cream butter then add oil and sugar; mix. You don’t want to get rid of all of the moisture or you will have a dry cake. Then you can compare! Review is for cake only. Great in bundt pan rather than 9x13 cake plan. Just let it defrost on the counter, no need to do anything else. Originally published June 28, 2020 9 Comments. For all of you that love my chocolate zucchini bread, you know that zucchini does wonders in baked goods, even when chocolate is involved. This cake was perfectly moist with just 1 cup of oil. Batter looks dense. This cake was extremely moist; however it had a somewhat bitter flavor. Thank you for the recipe! In a large bowl, sift together the confectioner's sugar and the cocoa powder. Can I change the butter for oil in this recipe? Thank you! Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top springs back lightly when touched, and it seems set. Here's what you should REALLY do with all that zucchini. Much of the nutrition is in the skin! Hello! In a large bowl, add melted butter, oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Yikes. Use a spatula to fold zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter until evenly distributed. I made this cake last night. It is so moist and delicious and a great way to use up garden zucchini! I love seeing all of your comments, messages, emails, and photos about the bread. Simple and straight forward, no fancy cinnamon, different kind of sugars or other unnecessary items that have no place in a chocolate zucchini cake. I cut the oil to 3/4 cup and added 3/4 cup of apple sauce. It has been such a hit! Baked in a bundt pan at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes and dusted with confectioners sugar. Learn how your comment data is processed. You saved Chocolate Zucchini Cake III to your. I am sure they would love to share a zucchini with you. Fantastic cake! We all agreed that 1 cup was just right - too much more would have resulted in a dense, greasy cake. Made a ToH cream cheese frosting but so good doesn’t even need any. The orange flavor does work better with chocolate, though lemon works great with zucchini. I know everyone is always trying to use up their garden zucchini in the summer, so why not go the chocolate route? I wonder if perhaps your oven was too hot and it slightly overbaked, Christine? Last updated on September 2, 2020. Remove from the warm burner and let the ganache cool slightly while whisking. Great rise and texture, and lots of chocolate flavor. I WAS THINKING I SAW WHERE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTERMILK BUT CAN NOT SEEM TO FIND IT . Thanks! The sides will bubble and boil, but you should turn off the heat before the middle comes to a rolling boil. Baking cocoa has a tendency to clump. Then I replaced the walnuts with chocolate chips since I do not care for walnuts. Also, I can trim the fat without it tasting low-fat.I replace 1/2 cup to 1 cup of the oil with applesauce or mashed pear (use a small hole grater on an apple if you don't have any applesauce). Perfection. Sunshinebakerpa. My aunt used to make an amazing choc zucchini cake when I was a kid and I’ve always used her recipe. This one is amazing! Usually my husband is a generous person, but he gave me a hard time when I shared a few pieces with my sister’s family. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Let the cake cool on a cooling rack to room temperature, or in the refrigerator. I wish I could bake cakes in mine! I use unsalted butter, I never use margarine. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Yes, I know others have had success with a bundt pan. Sweet but not extremely sweet and makes good use of zucchini! Your email address will not be published. I finally, guilty, decided to try a new one and I wish I did ages ago. Be wary when microwaving chocolate—it can scorch easily. It's easy to make (no mixer required) and topped with the most delicious chocolate ganache! Pull up a chair! Heavenly. 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, softened, 1/2 cup (113g) sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurt, at room temperature, 3 cups (363g to 450g) shredded zucchini (about one 10" zucchini)*. I am really in need of this information. With a wooden spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini. You will love this easy Chocolate Zucchini Cake! Thanks for a wonderful recipe! The silky, smooth, rich chocolate frosting really is the icing on the cake! While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate frosting. The zucchini absorbs the cocoa while delivering the full flavor of chocolate, but without the heaviness of some other chocolate cakes. You can make a chocolate glaze or dust it with powdered sugar! We’re here to help you put dinner (and breakfast and lunch) on the table with less stress and more joy. The recipes sounds delicious, but there is just too much sugar in it for diabetics. Please review the Comment Policy. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I use white whole wheat flour (King Arthur and Wheat Montana sell a white spring kernel variety, which is lighter and sweeter than regular whole wheat, but just as nutritious), and it still tastes like regular chocolate cake. Moist and chocolaty and yummy! I also add in buttermilk for moisture. I just used some old heavy cream that needed to be used up for the buttermilk and I used King Arthur’s GF flour and cut down on the sugar just a tiny bit in the cake…SO SO SO good!!! My family will be lucky if I share with them HAHA!!! Jul 21, 2020. We share a love of cooking, baking, and entertaining. The kids devoured it, and as they helped me make it, they knew exactly what was in it! I just made this and it is super delish! It’s amazing!!! This is a moist fudgy type cake. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla until blended. As far as I was concerned back then, zucchini cake was an epiphany … a revolution! This moist Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate frosting is easy to make and a family favorite dessert! We love it! First time commenting? It came out fantastic! I use more zucchini, and a mix of white and brown sugars. If you use a different frosting recipe, like a chocolate buttercream frosting, that doesn’t need chill time to set up, you can serve the cake immediately. Afterwards, when I told them what the secret ingredient was, they admitted that they wouldn’t have eaten it had they known beforehand!!! Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. I made this cake last night, and it was amazing! Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan. Stir in the dry ingredients until barley combined, it is ok if there is still some flour not mixed in. I served it to my husband, son and his family and they all loved it. Hi J.Mc, all zucchini is different as far as moisture levels. And if you are going to have chocolate cake go ALL out! Tried and true moist chocolate zucchini cake with shredded zucchini, orange peel, pecans and a sugar glaze. Was your baking soda fresh? I use a. Have these ingredients delivered or schedule pickup SAME DAY! You will never know there is zucchini in this chocolate cake because it is SO good! Or would dit be better to omit it entirely? I sprayed it with pam. Spread batter into a greased pan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Click here to read more >>. Filed Under: Cake, Chocolate, Dessert, Recipe Videos, Recipes, Snacks, Summer Recipes Tagged With: cake, chocolate, dessert, zucchini. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. I have one and am new to it. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. love it ! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. But the cake and the frosting are yummy! Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth. This ensures they are evenly combined in the final chocolate zucchini cake batter. 6 Bake: Bake in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean (test at 45 min). I baked it in my air fryer toaster oven. I made this today and found it to be too dry. I make a quick one with cocoa powder (mix 2 TBS oil, 2 TBS melted butter, 2TBS Karo syrup, 2 tsp vanilla, 6 TBS cocoa powder, 1.5 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 cup milk or more depending on your desired consistency). You will never know this cake is made with a vegetable. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Info. Will definitely make this again! We’ve found many ways to use it, including this spiced cake that’s super moist and chocolaty good. Very good when frosted with the Zucchini brownie icing recipe on this site. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Turn off heat and whisk in chocolate and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and begins to thicken. Hello I’m Laura! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is the very BEST zucchini cake I’ve ever made or tasted.Thank you for sharing the recipe. I made this cake for my friend's birthday party and I copied some of the changes that the other members suggested. YUM! And instead of using all, all-purpose flour, I used 1 cup of all-purpose and 1 cup of whole wheat. The cake will keep on the counter, covered, for up to 4 days. And if you are going to have chocolate cake go ALL out! Make sure your buttermilk and eggs are at room temperature. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. *Why the range in weights? DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! Very moist! Absolutely the BEST chocolate zucchini cake ever! It didn’t seem to rise very high. You guys are obsessed with my Chocolate Zucchini Bread and that makes me SO happy!