Once the mixture reaches 110ºF or you can no longer feel any granules of sugar in between your fingers, it's ready. Once the sugar is dissolved (feel with your fingers) you can remove the bowl from the pot of water and whip into your stiff meringue. Let each piece of butter incorporate fully before adding another. This chocolate version of Swiss meringue buttercream is easy to make, is more stable than American buttercream, and stores well. Firm enough to maintain its shape but soft enough to be whipped and creamed with ease, room temperature butter is essential for making smooth batter and lightly-textured baked goods, Sign up for exclusive offers, recipes, and how-tos by entering your email address, ATTENTION BUSINESSES: APPLY TO BE A WILTON WHOLESALE CUSTOMER! That not only gives the perfect sweetness, this ratio also provides the most stable meringue. Cakes or cupcakes frosted with SMBC can be left out at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To avoid this, make sure that when you are cracking your eggs, you crack them one by one into a separate bowl then transfer that egg white to the main bowl. Which will frost 15 – 17 cupcakes (about 3 tbsp per cupcake). Disclaimer: The Flavor Bender is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Take your time – This isn’t a difficult recipe, but many people mess it up because they rush through the steps. But when I’m in a rush, this easy chocolate swiss meringue buttercream version works just as perfectly for all my frosting needs! The sugar should be fully dissolved. Her first book is New Prairie Kitchen (Agate Publishing, 2015). Here’s a trick that I use for when that happens. Then whip it on high for about 3 to 4 more minutes. Make sure there is no fat residue on the bowls and whisks as well. Heating the egg whites reduces the risk of any harmful bacteria from uncooked whites, while simultaneously dissolving the sugar. The eggs need to be whisked until the mix has cooled down A LOT. With a whisk attachment, whisk the egg sugar mixture on high speed (start on low and slowly increase speed to avoid spillage), until you form a meringue. You can use the same whisk attachment for this as well. Once the right temperature is reached, start adding the unsalted butter cubes. Add 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 Tbsp baking soda, 1/2 Tbsp baking powdered and 1 tsp salt and whisk to combine. Also, I made your chocolate cake and it was also the best ever! Then reduce the speed of the mixer and stream in the melted chocolate. I love hearing from you! A little helps deepen the flavor of chocolate. I'm an artist and cake decorator from Portland, Oregon. With this chocolate version, the melted bittersweet chocolate not only adds a deep chocolate flavor, it also makes the buttercream lighter and creamier! I was born in Sri Lanka, grew up in New Zealand and lived in Australia, and then the US, before moving to Canada in 2019! Always use metal or glass bowls to make a meringue. With American buttercream, you need to add more confectioner’s sugar to make it stable, which makes it too sweet. No worries! I’ll never go back to a regular buttercream again. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and vanilla. Perfect Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream, The Fudgiest One Bowl Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream, Easy Creamy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, Perfect Classic Chocolate Eclairs (Foolproof Recipe), How to make Marshmallows (tips and tricks for homemade marshmallows), The Best Homemade Bread (White Bread Recipe), Classic Pound Cake (Tips for a Perfect, Moist Pound Cake), How to make the Best Instant Pot Short Ribs, Slow Roasted Salmon with Lemon Butter Sauce, Pasteurized egg whites (carton egg whites). Either torch the side of the bowl with a creme brulee torch while mixing on low until it comes together or remove 1/4 cup of the mixture, melt it in the microwave and pour it back in to bring it all together. This lets me control the salt content in my recipes. The result is a faux swiss buttercream that is slightly more dense and buttery, but just as delicious and fluffy! And it's an easy chocolate meringue frosting to make. Bring buttercream back to room temperature and re-whip before using. Just be patient. Make sure you keep whisking the egg white mixture while heating it to prevent the egg whites from cooking and coagulating. WLRECIP-8875. Buttercream may be kept refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month. If it’s cold, bring it to room temperature first, then whip until it’s creamy and smooth. I love baking, and I love cooking. I’d be curious about the two methods. Keep whipping the buttercream until you have a creamy consistency (a few minutes). Your email address will not be published. Put the whole bowl into the fridge for 20 minutes then try whipping again. You can also use coffee extract instead of vanilla if you prefer. If the meringue is warm, it will melt the butter and turn the frosting into soup. I LOVE working with it, because the result is just so light and creamy. Learn how your comment data is processed. Make 1.5 times this recipe if you want extra buttercream for decorations (change servings to 60 servings in the recipe card). You can see even more troubleshooting points in my basic Swiss meringue buttercream post here. This frosting is for the chocolate loving planners among us. Made with a meringue base, this chocolate frosting is soft and creamy, great for frosting layer cakes or using as a filling. But you can also use a microwave to heat in small increments to melt the chocolate. Incorporating air is what makes the buttercream taste so amazing. Pour water to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a large saucepan; bring water to a boil over high. Whisk the pasteurized egg whites and confectioner’s sugar until thick, glossy, and white. Add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix in the first addition before adding the next portion. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Scrape down the sides to make sure everything is mixing evenly. I made a sugar syrup and very slowly added it to the egg whites after beating them. Keep whisking until you reach stiff peaks. Also, use quality unsalted butter. I’ve tried hard, but it’s just too sweet for my curmudgeonly nature. The meringue will turn runny at first but it will transform into a creamy, smooth, fluffy buttercream. The texture of this buttercream is perfect for piping on. Chocolate swiss meringue buttercream is one of my favorite buttercreams ever. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Add vanilla; beat until combined. Scrape the bowl as you go – It’s easy to end up with crunchy bits in your buttercream if you don’t let all of the sugar dissolve well. This faux chocolate swiss meringue buttercream is much simpler to make, and just as good as the classic version! So very worth the extra time it takes. Read through my all tips and watch the step-by-step video recipe. If you store the buttercream in the fridge or freezer, allow it to return to room temperature before using. Stream in the egg white and sugar mixture while whipping the butter. Yes, you can! Learn how your comment data is processed. Let the chocolate cool down to almost room temperature, but still remains liquid. Nothing like a wonderful buttercream frosting. I experiment with flavors, textures and ingredients, and I love passing on all my tips and tricks to you! The combination is then whipped at high speed while adding butter a tablespoon at a time. Don’t dump all the butter in too quickly. You can switch to a paddle attachment if you like, but you can also keep using the whisk attachment. Next, unsalted butter is added to make a creamy, light, buttery buttercream. But when I’m in a rush, this easy chocolate swiss meringue buttercream version works just as perfectly for all my frosting needs! Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Melt the chocolate until about 80% of it is melted. I can very confidently say that this is easily one of my favorite buttercreams ever!