In order to get the best result you have to slice the meat very thinly, so that it takes only a short time to cook. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can parboil the veggies first before finishing them off in the wok. Since the stalk is tougher, it is best to separate the stalk from the leaves. Saute the garlic over low heat. I like Chinese fried cabbage. Heat some oil in the wok. Instructions to make Chinese Stir Fried Vegetables with Noodles: Boil Brocolli, Carrot and Babycorn for 4-5 mins in water. The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. This blanching method is popular among Chinese restaurants as it is the quickest way to prep for a large order. Rinse the vegetables by changing the water at least twice. The oil should not be too hot as it will burn the garlic quickly. Substituting vegetables is not the only way you can tweak the Chinese mixed vegetable stir fry. With this as a side, you don’t need to worry about the young ones not eating their vegetables tonight! You can also do this under running water. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Serve it hot over white or brown rice. Add sweet chili sauce, Chinese chili oil or even chopped, fresh chillies. Cut the large stem diagonally (e.g., gai lan) into pieces. KP Kwan. Cook and stir until the chicken has browned and is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Which method you use is completely up to you. Stir fry the stalks first until they start to turn tender before adding the leaves. Use a splash of water if the vegetables get a bit dry and you want them to cook a bit more. Seafood works brilliantly too, such as shrimps, crab meat or even sliced octopus! I'll definitely be using this recipe again. The young gai lan is very tender, but the stalk large gai lan has a tough fibrous surface. broccoli, red pepper and asparagus with hoisin sauce and couscous. Let me explain them one by one: 1. It will take forever to wait until the vegetables turn soft if you do not blanch it in advance. I have tried both and I must say I am having a hard time telling which is best. Simmer the stalk with minimum water for a few minutes until tender, then add the leaves to continue stir-frying. Add the coarsely chopped garlic to the oil and saute until it is just about turning to light brown. Add the chicken and marinade. I prefer larger pieces of garlic due to two reasons:-. Its popularity is because it can be completed within five minutes, with only a handful of ingredients. if you like these, try my lobster rolls. These days you can easily find it in supermarkets but if all else fails you can go to a Chinese store to pick up a bottle or two….or three. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid to cook for 3 minutes. Add the leaves. * Skip this step if the vegetables are tender and young. Rinse the Chinese vegetables thoroughly yum, sounds nice. However, stir-frying root vegetables and broccoli is an exception. Check the doneness regularly, because the vegetables will no longer crisp if you overdo it. E.g., young gai lan 芥兰苗. You can relate it to preparations for asparagus. Only change I may make is to use a little less cornstarch. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Eclectic recipes from all over the world are regularly published, satisfying the blog's audience of adventurous eaters' needs. i used canned water chestnuts and just used the water i drained from the can for the 1/2 cup of water added the sugar and pepper to that then poured it into the skillet. Stir in the garlic and onion; cook and stir until the onion is limp, about 1 minute. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 4/19/2020. Fresh aromatics are one of the most important elements of any Chinese stir fry. Just take a look at my chicken in oyster sauce stir fry recipe or this shrimp in oyster sauce. This will of course depend on personal preference but my husband and I often feel that the Chinese food served at restaurants in America is too salty/strong. If you don’t like it, you could use watercress or Thai basil instead. Otherwise, the vegetables will be steamed or braised, and lose their crisp texture. There is nothing disgusting or problematic with this meal but it wasn't particularly interesting or flavorful. Do not drench the vegetables with water to keep them crisp-tender. I find the combination of sweet and bitter tasting vegetables ideal for a Chinese stir fry. it was a little thick after the corn starch mixture was added but still very good. ***. If the oil starts to smoke, switch off the stove for a while before adding the garlic. Pour in 1/2 cup of water; season with pepper and sugar. ExcelSteel 242 5-Quart Stainless Steel Colander, Cooks Standard 02591 Flat Bottom with Lid 11-Inch Hard Anodized Nonstick Wok Stir Fry Pan, Black, Cuisinart CTG-00-SAS Salad Spinner, Green and White. In order to make a good stir fry there are two different methods which you can use. If you stir-fry the vegetables longer to make it softer, the gravy will remain in the wok, which will eventually be reabsorbed back to the vegetables, and make it very tasty. The best way is to check the doneness of Chinese vegetables is to do a taste test. My Asian family really liked this and I will definitely be adding this to our dinner rotation. Lovely with soya sauce. Fancy more spice? As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am happy to see you in this comment area, as you have read through my recipe. That is why there should not be too much water at any time. Do not blanch the vegetables to soften it before stir-frying. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. For the... 2. You need to peel off the surface of the stalk and cut it into slices before stir-frying. This is an easy recipe that's really tasty. Great flavor! © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition You can also do a great deal to the flavour using Chinese sauces. The first method is to put the vegetable in raw, starting with the ones that take the longest to cook. It is really light. My favorite method is to smash the garlic with the flat side of the cleaver, then coarsely chopped it. The following are some of the most common Chinese vegetables that we cook at home: Gai lan (also known as Chinese kale /Chinese broccoli/芥兰) is a variant of broccoli with longer stalk. Combine the chicken, oyster sauce, and soy sauce in a mixing bowl until the chicken is evenly coated with the sauce; set aside. This Chinese mixed vegetable stir-fry combines the classic Chinese flavours with fresh, crunchy vegetables. It turned out a little thick for me. Its popularity is because it can be completed within five minutes, with only a handful of ingredients. start by stir frying the chopped spring onions, garlic and ginger, you only need about a tablespoon of oil, and stir fry them for 30 seconds or so Spring onions, garlic and ginger are the very base of our vegetable stir fry. All Rights Reserved. How to stir-fry Chinese vegetables with garlic 1. *** You can cook the leaves and stems together, and skip the simmering part if the vegetables are tender and young. Chinese vegetable stir fry may not qualify a place on the banquet menu, but it remains as the most popular dish among Chinese households. If you do it correctly, it can be one of the most delightful vegetarian dishes that you can dream of. The flavor came out perfectly for us -- strong enough to enjoy the chicken and veggies but not overpowering to the point where all you can taste is sauce. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I added carrots and mushrooms instead of snow peas and I added about a teaspoon of Sesame Seed Oil to the marinade (recommend!). Just simple basic stir fry. They add tons of fragrance... 3. For my Chinese mixed vegetable stir fry I used broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, baby sweetcorn, sugar snap peas and asparagus. Part of the salt will dissolve in the oil, which will in turn flavor the vegetables. Marie. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Choose a wok or a frying pan large enough to hold more vegetables than you think. Instructions Heat the 15ml (1 tbsp) oil in a large wok and fry the broccoli for 1 minute. Next time I might add more soy sauce and some other spices to give more flavor. I grew up in a Chinese family and actual Chinese cooking is milder. It never fails to get rave reviews from my family and friends! Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of water. 7th March 2018 - By Michelle MinnaarThis post may contain affiliate links. Cashew nuts are a great addition to this dish. Next, add the leaves to the wok and continue stir-frying, which takes a much shorter time to cook than the stalk. Adding salt to the garlic instead of the vegetables is another trick that I have discovered. Aromatics That last one can be tricky to get hold of but if you’re lucky your nearest Chinese grocery store will stock it. Wash the greens thoroughly with water and drain by putting them in a colander (or with a salad spinner). ©2018 Taste of Asian Food. Theses  are traditionally used in Thai cuisine. It depends on the size of the vegetables. Stir-frying all the way to retain the gravy (that is flavor!). Season the garlic with plenty of salt. Add the remainder of the oil to the wok and fry the garlic and ginger with broccoli for 1 minute. This Chinese vegetable stir fry needs ample space to allow you to flip and stir the vegetables without falling off the edge. If you think you’ve got too many vegetables, you can also make this broccoli, red pepper and asparagus with hoisin sauce and couscous for the next meal. I had a hunch that was much too long so I did about 5 minutes before adding the veggies/liquids and even that dried the chicken all the way out. The other way to do it is to parboil the vegetables, drain them and finishing them off at high heat in the wok. 300g of Chinese leafy vegetables of your choice. The vegetables release water during stir-frying while wilting down, which will be cooked by its gravy. Simply pick what you like and substitute what you don’t. My method is to add ALL the salt necessary for the whole dish to the garlic. To add even more freshness to the dish you can also sprinkle with finely chopped spring onion. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Another tip is to add bean sprouts at the end of cook time. . Once you have cleaned the vegetables, separate the leaves and the stalks. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid to cook for 3 minutes. Hi, this is KP Kwan. me too, I also like fried bok choy… also very light! I will never buy frozen stir fry again! I do that for the choy sum most of the time, which you can see how it is done in the video embedded in this article. Add 2 tbsps of water, cover and simmer for 2 minutes**. Start by adding the stalks to the wok and stir-fry for one to two minutes until the stalks start to turn soft. For the large and older vegetables, remove the fibrous surface of the stalk with a vegetable peeler until the white part of the stalk is revealed. If anything, the sauce seems to stick a bit better using the slow method, and it saves me the trouble of parboiling the vegetables first. I used frozen stir fry vegetables instead of fresh though. It’s delicious. next time i might do it without the cornstarch and maybe add some ginger to it. Add the water chestnuts, snow peas, and broccoli. Ingredients 14 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cut into bite-size pieces ½ cup oyster sauce 2 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 large onion, chopped ½ cup water 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 …