The video tutorial below shows Cooking Ah Pa explaining how the century egg adds flavour to the Chinese spinach soup. This simple Chinese-style spinach stir-fry with garlic pairs nicely with steak. You can also enjoy it with grilled chicken, rice, or noodles. Please do not re-use until you have read my copyright notice. Recipes / Spinach. Yours truly has long slender stems with oval-shaped leaves, while water spinach has hollow stems. Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat for 1/2 minute. 5 basic beef stock recipes: peppery, milky, dark, strong and more. Drain well and set aside. Pictures appearing on this page are not necessarily mine. © 2020 homemade-chinese-soups.com. 4 . Food exchange per serving: 1 veggie and 1 fat, Low sodium diets, omit soy sauce low cholesterol diets, use as is. Chinese Style Spinach. Continue to peel off any fibrous layer left. Swirl oil around the bottom of the pan, add onions and cook and stir until onions are soft but not browned. Idea 2: Garlic Chinese spinach recipe. The taste is a little like spinach but with less of the legendary edginess. Not just the normal fresh chicken egg either. Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat for 1/2 minute. Another popular and quick way to serve amarantha leaves is to fry them with garlic. Chinese spinach soup is very easy to make. Edible Asian Chinese Red Stripe Tender Round Leaves Amaranth Seeds by Viablekitchenseeds, Homemade Chinese Soups by Phoebe Lim Choon Lan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Chinese spinach is also known as amaranth leaves. SERVES: 6. 3 %. It has been found to have the ability to destroy certain bacteria like the staphyloccocus aureus, pathogenic shigella, pseudomonas aeruginosa, salmonella typhi. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Start at the root end. Diabetic Popeye food with a bit of crunch. Homemade Chinese Soups by Phoebe Lim Choon Lan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Spinach could have been my favorite leafy vegetable if it does not set my teeth on edge... literally. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, 5 Kang Kong Recipes Showing Different Ways to Cook it 空心菜食谱, 6 Chinese Chicken Stock Recipes to Enhance the Flavour of Your Food, 5 Basic Beef Stock Recipes To Complete Your Stock Making Repertoire, 1 tbsp potato flour mixed with 3 tbsp fresh chicken stock, Put the 600ml chicken stock into a medium pot together with the salt, goji berries and red dates and bring to a boil, Remove the roots and tough stems from the Chinese spinach, Add the Chinese spinach into the soup stock and cook until the spinach is soft and has shrunk, Remove the shell of the century egg and cut into pieces, Thicken the soup with the potato flour mixture. There is a variety with dark green leaves, narrow with pointed tips. Drop a big bunch of amaranth leaves into a pot of boiling soup stock. Chinese spinach is also known as amaranth leaves. Use these kang kong recipes to prepare this quintessential Southeast asian vegetable. Swirl oil around the bottom of the pan, add onions and cook and stir until onions are soft but not browned. Add soy sauce and sugar to onions and mix lightly. 9.7 g It is also a good dietary supplement for heat stroke or any ailments resulting from the summer heat. This is, of course, very basic and plain. Use them to enhance the flavor of all your dishes, not just soups. Ingredients with strong flavour such as fermented bean curd, salted egg, and belachan, a fermented shrimp paste. READY IN: 20mins. In Cantonese is it called yeen choy and in Chinese, it is 苋菜 (xian cai). It helps heal fractures, aids weight loss and detoxification by easing constipation. Total Carbohydrate It has a bit of sweet and a bit of spice to blend with the bite of the garlic. Yum! All rights reserved. tablespoons vegetable oil. The cooked stems are crunchy and the leaves tender and sweet. I always find doing that wasteful. When you come to the leaves, pinch them off in small cluster of 3 to 4 leaves together. .I found 2 Chinese spinach recipes using sambal belachan: Wash thoroughly to remove sand and grit. Many people mistake Chinese spinach for water spinach. 6 People talking Join In Now Join the conversation! Cook spinach according to directions on package. Ingredients with strong flavour such as fermented bean curd, salted egg, and belachan, a fermented shrimp paste. Add soy sauce and sugar to onions and mix lightly. It works best in quick soups as it cooks quickly. They are not the same. There are many variations to this quick fry dish. There are many variations to this quick fry dish. Chinese spinach is high in protein and vitamin A, B & C. It also has double the amount of iron compared to the normal spinach so it is great for growing kids. In Cantonese is it called yeen choy and in Chinese, it is 苋菜 (xian cai). 2 . My grandmother likes to "beef" up the soup by adding eggs. Image source: Foxmachia at https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotocapa/2675512319. Add chestnuts and spinach to onion mixture and cook and stir over medium heat to reheat to serving temperature. When you pinch the root off, peel off the thin fibrous layer covering the entire stem. | Privacy Policy | Disclosure and Disclaimer | This site is powered by SBI and has been live since 2006. Please follow the instructions on my copyright policy page on how you can repost or re-use. The fastest way is of course to use the knife. from - The High fiber cookbook for Diabetics by Mable Cavaiani, R.D. Recipe by breezermom. INGREDIENTS Nutrition. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'homemade_chinese_soups_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_1',341,'0','0']));So, I guess Chinese spinach could be my favourite vegetable. UNITS: US. .I found 2 Chinese spinach recipes using sambal belachan: I was taught to clean and prepare it with just my hands. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'homemade_chinese_soups_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_3',322,'0','0']));The leaves may be light green with a roundish shape or dark green with deep red veins in the centre. She likes to add century egg and salted egg. I am flattered that people think my content is good enough to re-use. Cook spinach according to directions on package. 6 Chinese chicken stock recipes to help you make a mean pot of basic chicken stock. Chinese spinach stems are delicious and the more the merry. Another popular and quick way to serve amarantha leaves is to fry them with garlic. Continue to pinch the stem off every 2 inches. Click on the image to the original source. bunches fresh spinach (about 2 3/4 lbs) 3 . Dry by leaving them in a colander over the sink for several minutes or spin them in a salad spinner.