Totȧl Time: 20 mins. This takes around 15-20 minutes and you can be preparing your vegetables, rice or other accompaniments at the same time. Drain all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok. I prefer not to chop the water chestnuts too finely as I like the crunch they bring to the otherwise soft meatballs. I have simplified the preparation by reducing the time required and pan-fried instead of deep-frying before stewing. Also cooked the meatballs in oven to multitask. Because the browning can take a while, I sometimes do everything I’ve shown you up to now in advance. Delicious! I like them on the large side, which seems to be traditional, but it’s really up to you. ~m. Chinese Pork Meatballs are my version of a dish often called Lion’s head meatballs. KP Kwan. Lion’s Head Pork Meatballs (Lion’s head meatballs) is a highly regarded Chinese cuisine that catches everyone’s attention because of its size. Light soy sauce and Chinese rice wine are the main seasonings in the recipe, besides ginger and scallions. Serve. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Use the cabbage to separate the meatballs and cover them completely. When the balls are brown underneath, gently turn or roll with a spatula so that all sides are eventually browned all over: as the mixture is soft, you'll need to roll it on all sides to keep the sphere shape. I’m not a great fryer-burn a lot of food, so, I fried them to get coloring/char then baked at 350 for 10 min- give or take. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Cook Time: 15 mins. I served them on the pretty end of chinese napa cabbage that I pickled in white vinegar, water, sugar for 10 min. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Cook without moving for about 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are cooked through. Bubble everything together for a couple of minutes, basting again, and you’re ready to serve. Simple and tasty. Sign up for the mailing list here where it says “join the west via midwest community” for more recipes for entertaining without any stress! If you read Souffle Bombay then you know just how much I love a good meatball! Hi, Add less chili oil. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you-- I did adjust the notes in the post to mention that if you don't like fish sauce to adjust the measurement to put a lesser amount in. We really enjoyed these-very tasty. Thanks for a delicious recipe. All recipe calorie information was calculated on what I purchased to make this recipe. I am not in favor of tofu because it does not have a crunchy mouthfeel like the water chestnuts or lotus roots. Copyright © 2020 West Via Midwest | Trellis Framework by Mediavine. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Salty, sweet, smoky, charred edges with juicy tender pork inside. After lightly browning the meatballs, I braise them in a flavoursome stock. Instructions are clear and precise. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with freshly cooked rice. Chinese Pork meatballs are full of all of the flavors you love in Chinese food takeout. You also need eggs, which add flavor and help to bine the minced pork together. I should have known better NOT to add so much Fish Sauce (I used what the recipe said). The marinade caramelizes as it cooks. For contrasting texture there’s crunchy water chestnuts too. This gives a glossy finish and a sauce that will also enhance the flavour of the vegetables you serve them on. And to make the sauce? ALTERNATIVE TIP:  You could also make them in a skillet if you don’t have a wok. Keep rotating the meatballs gently until cooked through. I am using pork belly, which is ideal as it has one-third of fat. Great recipe! Way too salty…But flavor is great, agree with cooking meatballs in oven instead of frying. You can add some bay leaves and star anise to enhance the flavor. Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Put pork in a bowl and fold in honey syrup, spring onions, garlic, lemongrass, cornflour, mint and coriander. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Roll the pork mixture into tablespoon sized meatballs. They are on the table before takeout is ready. 474 calories; protein 18.5g 37% DV; carbohydrates 20.2g 7% DV; fat 35.1g 54% DV; cholesterol 148mg 49% DV; sodium 1318.5mg 53% DV. Combine all ingredients except garnish in a small mixing bowl and stir to mix well. The nights I’m really at my wit’s end, I don’t mind ordering in. The one flavor I would have liked to see in here is sesame oil. All my family loved it. Please take that into consideration if you are following a strict diet. Mix and season with salt and lots of black pepper. Required fields are marked *. Recipe from Good Food magazine, January 2005, New! I have read some even said that do not over mix. Flavorful 20 minute Chinese pork meatballs are fresh, fast take on dinner. Now widely available in supermarkets as well Chinese grocery stores, I wouldn’t be without a bottle in the cupboard. However, garlic is used for the braising liquid. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Coarsely cut the ginger and scallions, then add some hot water to let it steep for ten minutes. The authentic method involves cutting them into small pieces, or coarsely grind with a mortar and pestle, then add some hot water to extract the flavor. In between, Crumbed Baked Fish with Parmesan, Lemon & Garlic. Return meatballs to the wok; add enough chicken broth … With satisfying notes of ginger and garlic balanced out by[Read more] To increase the vegetable content, in the bowl you see here I stir-fried some sliced mushrooms along with the cabbage and a little garlic. Thank makes my whole day! I made these tonight and loved them.I didn’t have all the ingredients for the sauce, so just mixed soy sauce and sweet soy warmed a little the poured over. When you make the recipe, the calorie content could vary depending on what specific ingredients/brands you actually use. The lion’s head pork meatballs have a high content of moisture. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon. Just two teaspoons of cornflour, mixed into a little cold water before adding to the pan, will give a lovely glossy finish to your sauce and help it cloak the meatballs. Place the browned meatballs in the pan in a single layer and gently simmer until cooked all the way through, regularly turning and basting them with the liquid (15-20 min). Fresh, zingy meatballs served with an oriental dipping sauce – great party food for family or friends. Place in the hot oil and then shape 3 more balls, adding them to the pan. Combine pork, eggs, 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, spring onions, ginger, salt, and soy sauce in a large bowl. KP Kwan. For time-saving purposes, I purchased ground pork with full fat. I only stewed meatballs for 30 minutes in this recipe for simplicity. I wish we could have takeout so much more often than we do.