Adding it too soon could result in a soggy eggplant bites, something we all prefer to avoid! Alternatively, you can coat the eggplants with cornstarch, as shown in the video. Hi Jo, you asked this question at the perfect time since someone just mentioned rice vinegar as a great substitute to chinkiang vinegar . YOU MAY CHANGE YOUR MIND!! I hope you enjoy my recipes . We really enjoy this recipe and sometimes I add cubed tofu served with rice for a Meatless Monday dinner. Lower the heat to medium and add about a teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Turn the heat off and serve with white or brown rice. i tweaked it a bit by using sesame oil instead of chili oil and added cayenne pepper to taste. Anyway you look at it, bad signs at a Chinese restaurant. ★☆ Salt is used to draw out bitterness, but this variety is naturally sweet. I’ve made it multiple times now. It taste so good. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining half. To bad:(, Congrats! of Cooking Sherry 1 clove of garlic and omitted the salt. i'd imagine this simple sauce would be great with chicken or tofu as well. I thought this was really delicious. Place the eggplant cubes into a large bowl, and sprinkle with salt. I personally am sensitive to the sesame oil taste, so this last time I made it I doubled the sauce recipe, but kept the sesame oil at 1 tsp. The delicate flavor of Asian eggplant goes nicely with the … Mix the salt and vinegar with the eggplant and let it sits for 15 minutes. Place the eggplant cubes into a large bowl, and sprinkle with salt. I love it when this much depth of flavor can be developed without the need to simmer for hours. This left me with no other choice but to come up with my own homemade Asian eggplant recipe. The combination of garlic, ginger, scallion, and dry chili is also the foundation of preparing General Tso’s chicken. Thank you Lisa for your comment and welcome to Pickled Plum! Dish out and serve. of ground chicken that I cooked up separately with just some salt and pepper. Coat the eggplants with eggwhite, followed by the potato starch. Too spicy for me though. First, cut the eggplant into thin strips, about one to two inches long. Soft simmered eggplant and tofu plus garlic, two ways. I used only 1 small eggplant and added 2 small zucchini garlic and shallots to the eggplant and tossed everything in olive oil. // This was a great recipe but I thought it was lacking in extra vegetables. I used a jalapeño because that’s what I had… added a bell pepper to please my husband who doesn’t love eggplant like I do… it tasted like what I remember from the last time I ordered it from a Chinese restaurant… yum! I’m so happy you like this recipe, thank you Summer! FOR THOSE NOT BIG ON EGGPLANT TRY THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE!!! Rinse well, and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds. I love it, it made me so happy! i also tripled the sauce recipe (except the cornstarch and vinegar)because i added cut green bell peppers and ground chicken to it. I wanted easy so went with this one and am so glad I did! Thank you for posting this! Add the garlic and scallions and sauté for 30 – 60 seconds. Sprinkle some scallion and chopped chili to garnish. Try to find it without salt, if possible. This is the best eggplant dish I ever made! I will make this again but I will try to make it a touch more sweet. It is best to use young eggplants as the older one tends to have some bitter taste. Hi Caroline, hope you’re well? *This post may contain affiliate links. Plus, the eggplant pieces are so tender, they almost melt in your mouth. I will try it next time I make this (which is almost weekly ;P ). It took exactly 20 minutes – my rice cooker was 16 minutes. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Meanwhile, I combined the sauce ingredients (I doubled the sauce)and microwaved for 2 minutes until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Not good at all. Flavors were wonderful. I made half a recipe except a full recipe of sauce. The salt draws out the water from the eggplant’s spongy texture, which is the culprit that makes it taste soggy. This turned out wonderful. Stir fry for 1 minute, until all the vegetables are coated. Add garlic, ginger, red chilis and cook for 1 minute. Hi Susie, WOW WOW WOW. Drain and dry thoroughly with a kitchen towel. Eggplant lovers, have I got a recipe for you! This is another recipe I took away from the Chinese cookbook I mentioned elsewhere. I couldn’t taste the sesame oil and next time will add more. Yum! Because they have fewer seeds, Chinese eggplants are less bitter than globes and do not need to be salted. After fifteen minutes, you will notice the kitchen towel has become wet. There aren’t any methods to prevent the eggplants from not absorbing any oil. Coarsely ground the Szechuan peppercorns with a mortar and pestle. . Your hubby is now an eggplant lover yay! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. I put my eggplant into a bowl and salted it, allowing it to sit while making the sauce. These items take a shorter time to become aromatic than garlic and ginger. Flash fry for 10 seconds over high heat. Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time. Pat dry the eggplants with a kitchen towel. Turn the fan on, add the dried chilis and stir one minute. This recipe looked most appetizing so I tried it. 51 Comments, Posted in: 30 Minutes or Less, Chinese recipes, Stir fry, Vegan, Vegetarian, Your email address will not be published. I would say that if you can get shaoxing wine at an Asian grocery for the sauce, do so. Look for ones that are firm and have shiny skin, and avoid any blemishes or soft spots. This tastes just as good as our best local chinese restaurant and living so close to New York I think I know good Chinese food. 26.1 g Before we deal with the detail of how to cook, let look at some common ‘how-to’ questions about eggplant. Also added 1/2 lb. That’s so great Lili! The starch acts as the second protective layer to guard off any excess oil. The sauce was good and had lots of flavor but I won't be making this again. Also, look for those of small size. This is a quick and easy Chinese eggplant with garlic sauce that’s sweet and tangy. Add the scallion and dry chili and the Szechuan peppercorn and saute for another half a minute. The chilies add a little heat but not enough to change the flavor of the dish , DELICIOUS! My husband saw some Chinese eggplants at the local farmers market and insisted I buy some and try to make this dish. I would love to try this recipe and just wondering what vinegar you’d recommend I substitute for the chinkiang vinegar? Place the eggplant into the hot oil one by one. This Chinese eggplants recipe is incredibly flavorful. Pour in the sauce, and cook and stir until the sauce is thick and the eggplant is evenly coated. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Deep-fried in small patches. Then look for the word brinjal. The egg white forms a protective layer on the surface and reduces the oil from entering into the eggplants’ structure. And if you happen to be searching for eggplant in Great Britain or Canada, look for the word aubergine, which is French for eggplant, as it may be called that. There will be no leftovers tonight! This is going to become a regular on our family menu. My word was this recipe outstanding. I bet mushrooms are really good with this, great idea! This recipe is simple and delicious. Looking forward to more recipes on this site, which I’ve just discovered! Sprinkle with some salt and mix well. In summary, the Chinese eggplant should be treated with salt and vinegar and coated with either egg white or cornflour if you intend to deep-fried the eggplant. It makes six tasty servings. Below is the step by step guide on how to prepare this Chinese eggplant dish. Thanks so much for the recipe! I pull out some of the cooked eggplant and eat that before adding the other ingredients. It makes cooking fun, easy and keeps the kitchen cool on hot and humid days. Thanks so much. Cut the dry chili into short strips with a pair of scissors and remove the seeds. I also doubled the sauce. I couldn’t find the vinegar,  the woman at the asian market recommend balsamic as a substitute . Potatoes and chili crisp? Amazon Brand - Presto! Once you have got it right on how to treat the eggplant before cooking, everything that followed after that is easy peasy. The only thing I did differently was that I had only a regular eggplant. Baked it bcuz I didn’t want tofu to fall apart once it gets stirred in eggplant. You can make it the day before and have it for dinner the next day, or even the day after. Home Recipes Ingredients Vegetables Eggplants. KP Kwan. Deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons of water, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Saute the ingredients in B with some oil over low to medium heat until aromatic. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. The salt you have just added is quietly working behind the scene to solve this problem. 1 stalk scallion, cut into 1-inch sections, 2 dry chilies, cut into 1/2 inch sections, remove the seeds. My husbad and I always order this dish (with ground pork) at the chinese restaurants and I've been looking for the recipe for a while now. They taste mildly sweet and hold up when cooked. Thanks. Separate the egg white from the yolk and mix with the eggplants. It soaks up all the gravy's flavor to turn an ordinary vegetable to a delightful treat. THANK YOU for the recipe! Amount is based on available nutrient data. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. They are my go-to meals pretty much every time I want to cook something fast and easy. But since you do not know whether the eggplant is bitter or not until tasting it, there’s no harm to do so since we can wash away the excess salt. I broiled them on both sides along with sliced slabs of red Bermuda onion rings also brushed with the sesame oil. You are welcome and glad that the recipe works. View All Chinese; Eggplant; SORT BY: MOST POPULAR MOST POPULAR MOST RECENT Chinese Sichuan-Style Braised Eggplant With Pickled Chilies and Garlic. A delicious Chinese eggplant recipe that’s easy to make and way better than any takeout version I’ve had! All these substitutions are so good though, I would have done the same thing. The secret to making good stir fries is in the sauce – you have to add just the right amount to end up with a perfectly seasoned stir fry. ★☆ I am pleased to reply to any questions and comments as soon as possible. Saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Since this is a vegetable dish, you can pair it with chicken, tofu, and other protein-based dish such as: Did you like this Chinese Eggplant With Garlic Sauce Recipe? Pour into the bowl with the eggplant. To prepare the eggplant, slice the ends off of an eggplant. Though they’re often mistaken as the latter, eggplants are actually berries and part of the nightshade family, which includes tomatoes and potatoes. Keywords: Recipe, Chinese, vegetarian, vegan, stir fry, Tag @misspickledplum on Instagram and hashtag it #misspickledplum. this recipe is great! There aren’t any specific techniques on how to cook Chinese eggplant – you can fry them in a pan with some oil, steam them or roast them in the oven.